DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xh-series-hdv-camcorders/)
-   -   Don't slam the Pelican case. (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xh-series-hdv-camcorders/112070-dont-slam-pelican-case.html)

Allan Black January 10th, 2008 04:43 AM

Don't slam the Pelican case.

A thought struck me as I was finishing cutting up the foam for the A1 to fit the Pelican 1510 case. DON'T slam/close those case lids real fast, the air pressure will likely knock out the capsule in the cameras mic, and any other mics in there.
Cheers.

David W. Jones January 10th, 2008 08:08 AM

A better warning might be... Don't run with scissors.

Denny Kyser January 10th, 2008 08:42 AM

A little of topic but since my pelican case will be in today, what do you carve the foam with?

Bill Ravens January 10th, 2008 08:55 AM

Stick the foam in your freezer for a few hours before cutting. It makes the job much easier.

Richard Alvarez January 10th, 2008 09:43 AM

If you're not using 'pick and pluck' foam then cut foam with an electric carving knife. A trick I learned back in my theatre days from the seventies.

Josh Chesarek January 10th, 2008 11:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Denny Kyser (Post 806111)
A little of topic but since my pelican case will be in today, what do you carve the foam with?

It as others have suggested a knife or what ever for regular foam but in the case of pelican the foam is precut into tiny squares that are just barely attached. You just push your fingers in and pull out the squares.

Bill Watson January 10th, 2008 01:24 PM

If you're using the 'pick and pluck foam', do it with a steel ruler.

Allan Black January 10th, 2008 03:03 PM

I did it by positioning the A1 in place over by the hinges so with the 1510 standing upright the weight is at the bottom. I marked the pnp foam with a Sharpie then used a new Stanley 18mm blade in a sawing fashion. Took me 2 hours and I haven't done the battery or filters yet.

Much positioning checks with thankfully little error and no blood this time.
Cheers.

Jim Martin January 10th, 2008 03:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Allan Black (Post 806356)
I did it by positioning the A1 in place over by the hinges so with the 1510 standing upright the weight is at the bottom. I marked the foam with a Sharpie then used a new Stanley 18mm blade in a sawing fashion. Took me 2 hours and I haven't done the battery or filters yet.

Much positioning checks with thankfully little error and no blood this time.
Cheers.

2 HOURS........I thought Aussies were faster than that!

Steven Davis January 10th, 2008 03:49 PM

I swear by pelican cases. I've stood on top of one to get a shot. I've never heard of the air issue. That's something I would send Pelican an email about, they might already know, but it may cause them to scratch their head a little.

Allan Black January 10th, 2008 04:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim Martin (Post 806388)
2 HOURS........I thought Aussies were faster than that!

I left out...and some beers. :)

Kellen Dengler January 10th, 2008 05:00 PM

I thought that's what the pressure valve on the Pelican was for? To avoid air pressure inside? Or is that just for altitude pressure?

Jim Martin January 10th, 2008 07:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Allan Black (Post 806393)
I left out...and some beers. :)

That would explain the blood-letting thing.....

Allan Black December 19th, 2020 04:45 PM

Re: Don't slam the Pelican case.

Hah! right Jim. It’s probably not too late to ask Santa for a good protective case for your new gear. When I bought mine 12 years ago, Pelican was the only game in town, but since then a couple of other brands have surfaced.

Disclaimer, the prices listed are 1 year old so don’t take any notice of them and after I saw a bright orange Pelican attract unwanted attention at a crowded air show, just buy a black one ...

Happy Xmas.
Cheers.

Steven Davis December 19th, 2020 04:49 PM

Re: Don't slam the Pelican case.

Nice review!!