Very short horror/comdey movie at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old January 24th, 2008, 01:33 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Very short horror/comdey clip

I just had to make a 2 minute clip for working on color correcting and stuff. Take a look...

http://www.vimeo.com/631827

Last edited by Bryce Olejniczak; January 24th, 2008 at 08:46 PM.
Bryce Olejniczak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2008, 06:32 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Really cool, loved the look. What colour correction process did you go through?

Only things that let it down for me were the plastic gun handling foley and the unrealistic muzzle flash- it wouldn't come outside the window.

cheers,

Joe
Joe Rizzo-Naudi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2008, 11:21 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Yea, The folly kills it for me too. I did it pretty quick so I haven't had the chance for better sfx yet. I know it's unrealistic but I just thought the mussel flash looked cool coming out of the window :)

The color process was (in Final Cut) used the 3-way correcter to tint the mids and some of the whites to a blue. Then I used a proc-amp, I'm not sure what the original purpose of a proc-amp is, but I know if you lower the "setup" slider it makes the blacks darker/deeper without touching any other pixels. Then I added a gamma correction and lightened the rest of the picture, but what is really cool about the pro-amp is that the gamma corrector didn't effect anything that the proc-amp did... So the blacks stayed true-black and only the colors got lighter, which ends up looking pretty nice, except for some spots were grainy (like the jacket in the beginning) I'm still trying to see if I can clean it up a little.
Old January 25th, 2008, 08:49 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Looking at the flash again I don't think it was it coming through the window that didn't do it for me... maybe a combination of not being able to see the gun when it fires (kind of appears to come from no where) and the length of the flash- did you take a keyed explosion and then rotate it to fit? It sort of erupts instead of flashes, know what i mean?
Either way, it's not a big deal- loved the rest of it as i said. What preset did you use?
Joe Rizzo-Naudi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2008, 01:16 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Yep, thats exactly what I did... I scaled down and keyed an explosion from a fire-ball launcher my friends and I made and rotated it to fit, it's not realistic, but it looks WAY better than using a still-frame of an actual mussel flash. I need to get some real footage of mussel flashes and key those.

The preset was vivid RGB at 24f.
Old January 28th, 2008, 12:57 AM   #6
Major Player

Lack of real story and cheesy muzzle flash aside. This actually worked for me shot and pacing the wise. I thought the colors looked great surprising amount of detail in the colors for such crushed blacks.
Evan C. King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2008, 12:19 PM   #7
Regular Crew

i really liked the look and color of this short. And as others have said, I liked the pacing and editing. I also enjoyed the surrealness of the whole thing. I'd be interested in seeing this fleshed out a little more to see the whole picture. But i think your on to something here.
Eduardo Miguel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2008, 02:33 AM   #8
Regular Crew

It was ok. Loved the colorcorrection and the directing. The sound could have been better but the thing what bothered me the most is that this movie doesn't have enough establishing shots. Most of the shots were close-ups and mediums.
Ivo van Aart is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders