DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xh-series-hdv-camcorders/)
-   -   Need anything else? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xh-series-hdv-camcorders/113280-need-anything-else.html)

Lloyd Claycomb January 26th, 2008 09:00 PM

Need anything else?

Hi everyone. This is my first post, and I just wanted to introduce myself to the forum. I've been reading for months and finally got my account approved to join the fun!

I just got my A1 and am real excited about using it. I plan on doing a fair amount of "man-on-the-street" type interviews for Christian programs I'm going to be releasing via DVD mailings and some streaming things online.

I'm new to the prosumer video world (although I've used a handheld video camera since they came out 20 years ago--I know... VERY different camp). Everyone I know tells me I'm a techno-guru, so I'm sure I'll pick up the basics pretty quick, but I know I have a lot to learn (major understatement!).

I'm trying to pick up all the basic gear that I'll need for these interviews (all during daylight hours). I think I'm all ready to go get my feet wet and start messing up (the path to learning, right?). Please let me know if you think I need anything else as a minimum to get going. This is what I have:

50 Panasonic AY-DVM63AMQ tapes (and Panasonic head cleaner)
Very basic UV filter
SM58 Sure XLR mic (more questions on the mic in another post)
Shoulder mount http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...a_Support.html
Another person :)
A case http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...eled_Foam.html

Do you see anything else I might need before I go out and make some big rookie mistake?

Thanks! Look forward to getting to talk to you all on these boards!

Nick Weeks January 26th, 2008 11:45 PM

I recommend the Sony eyecup that fits over the Canon's. You'll probably use the LCD a lot more, but having the Sony eyecup works wonders in bright light or in a situation where you can't use the LCD, its very comfortable too.

Go to the Sony accessories site:
http://servicesales.sel.sony.com/eco...eb/welcome.jsp

Click on 'Consumer-Buy Direct', then look for the search box in the top right corner, and enter part number 217941401, be sure to choose part number from the search options... It will say 'EYE CUP (LARGE)'. Around $40 and worth every penny

Bill Watson January 27th, 2008 01:05 AM

Yep, the Sony eyecup is a real winner.

Also recommend a good fluid head (Mannfrotto) tripod and/or maybe a 562b monopod.

Jim Miller January 27th, 2008 08:21 AM

The Sennheiser MD 46 is an excellent mic for on the street interviews. It was made for doing interviews at the Sydney Olympics and does a great job at isolating voices in a sea of other street noise.

Ger Griffin January 27th, 2008 12:09 PM

Dont forget extra batteries(at least one more).
I use cheap ones for backup and they work well for me.
Just dont ever leave it in the camera when not in use.

Also think about lighting.
If its day time shooting shadows can be harsh when
the sun is out. In that case use a small reflector to fill the shadows.
It will make a difference.

Lloyd Claycomb January 27th, 2008 12:13 PM

Thanks

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ger Griffin (Post 815275)
Dont forget extra batteries(at least one more).
I use cheap ones for backup and they work well for me.
Just dont ever leave it in the camera when not in use.

Also think about lighting.
If its day time shooting shadows can be harsh when
the sun is out. In that case use a small reflector to fill the shadows.
It will make a difference.

Thanks for that. I've always been afraid to buy the cheap batteries thinking that they'll mess up the camera. No problems then, huh?

Also with the reflectors, I assume that implies I would need a reflector holding guy? :) I guess I could always mount it on a simple stand, right?

Lloyd Claycomb January 27th, 2008 12:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bill Watson (Post 815074)
Yep, the Sony eyecup is a real winner.

Also recommend a good fluid head (Mannfrotto) tripod and/or maybe a 562b monopod.

Thanks for the other info. I have a Sony VX2000 with a big eye-cup. I loved it when I was using it. I'll see if I can make that one fit. That's a great idea.

I also have a real nice Mannfrotto tripod. I really didn't plan on taking it out for the street interviews, but actually now that you mention it, why not? It's quick to set up and easy to move.

Thanks for all your suggestions.

Bill Pryor January 27th, 2008 12:57 PM

The eyecup is essential for outdoor shooting. Not having one is a dumb oversight on Canon's part.

You probably don't want to put a reflector on a stand without a person standing by. It doesn't take much wind for a fairly small reflector to turn a C-stand into a landlocked sailboat.

Lloyd Claycomb January 27th, 2008 07:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bill Pryor (Post 815319)
You probably don't want to put a reflector on a stand without a person standing by. It doesn't take much wind for a fairly small reflector to turn a C-stand into a landlocked sailboat.

Guess so... :) Every time I turn around I need another person to help me with my "one-man" hobby.

Bill Pryor January 27th, 2008 08:49 PM

I shoot lots of interviews by myself, mostly indoors, but some outside. I usually set a shotgun mic on a fishpole, mounted on a C-stand. If it's outside and windy, I use a wireless lav.

Ger Griffin January 28th, 2008 10:50 AM

All I can say LLoyd is that I.ve only had 1 minor problem.
I have a few imitation BP945 batteries from my xl & xm days
that i carried over and 2 out of the 3 fitted perfectly.
1 of them them was too snug in the compartment and needed
to be suction cupped out. That one is now used only for my vl10-li light.
I dont use them first. Only when my canon one is empty do I put one in
and I try to get that canon one back in ASAP.

There are magic arms and clamps available to attach a reflector to
your tripod if you had to. (manfrotto have an extensive range).This would work reasonably well but does depend on the position of the sun & the camera/tripod. One could argue that a person holding it can lead to visible movement, however slight. Its really a case of getting creative with improvising and making do with what you have sometimes. There are lots of ways one could reflect the sun. Don't use a mirror though, its too strong.

Brian David Melnyk January 29th, 2008 02:24 AM

headphones to check the audio, and perhaps a different mic. I will likely be investing in a decent shotgun mic, but right now i'm using a SE 1a on a boom stand and an Apex 180 on camera. both are reasonably priced and i am very impressed with the full, warm sound of the SE 1a for interviews. Windscreens are also essential!