24f 60i? or What? I'm confused! - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old January 31st, 2008, 04:01 PM   #16
Major Player

Not knowing your stuff, I can't say if it looks like home video or not. But I know what looks good to me, and it nearly always says something about the competency of the videographer rather than the equipment he or she was using. I'm always over-critical of my own stuff - often asking myself "when will I learn not to do . . . ."?

What is your definition of looking like a home video? Using inappropriate equipment or techniques or camera settings? Not using a tripod? Or just not getting the shot looking the way you want?

If 60i always looked like home video, it wouldn't be used as a broadcast quality standard.
Annie Haycock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2008, 06:04 PM   #17
New Boot

Ive seen 60i footage that had a nice film look to it after post. Im still trying to decide whether im going to shoot in 60 24 or 30.
Mike Pearce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2008, 06:11 PM   #18
Trustee

Why not test those modes and see what you mesh with best?
Old January 31st, 2008, 06:13 PM   #19
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie Haycock View Post
If 60i always looked like home video, it wouldn't be used as a broadcast quality standard.
Maybe that's my problem. I see some news interviews that look like a home video, so maybe I'm overly picky.

See, my recordings are basically man-on-the-street interviews; not a whole lot different than a news field interview. I'm just starting to add a light-screen person when I can, and I see that helping a bit.

I guess I don't know really what it is... Maybe it's just me.
Lloyd Claycomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2008, 06:16 PM   #20
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Pearce View Post
Ive seen 60i footage that had a nice film look to it after post. Im still trying to decide whether im going to shoot in 60 24 or 30.
Yep, Mike. That's what I'm doing now.

I plan on making these interviews into a DVD series, so what I do on DVD #1 should be what I'm still using on DVD #20, otherwise that WOULD look bad for sure.

It looks like it's probably going to be 60i since I can't seem to get 24f right. I'm still getting all my samples together, but I need to draw the line soon and just go with what is working.
Old January 31st, 2008, 08:15 PM   #21
New Boot

Yeah so far ive gotton pretty good results from the 24f sd but with hd its going to take alot more tweaking and im still getting used to the a1.

My friends love the camera though and so do i. Cant wait to play around with it more.
Mike Pearce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 3rd, 2008, 08:31 PM   #22
Regular Crew

Quote:
Unfortunately there is a *lot* of lousy looking 24P video, but in the right hands, somebody who knows what they're doing can really make 24P sing.
What kinds of techniques contribute to 24P looking good?
Jim Newberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2008, 07:02 PM   #23
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Newberry View Post
What kinds of techniques contribute to 24P looking good?
Not moving the camera too fast and all over the place for one... This I DO know.
Old February 6th, 2008, 03:15 PM   #24
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Hurd View Post
I would have to point out that 24P is made to look bad only by those who don't know how to shoot with it properly. Unfortunately there is a *lot* of lousy looking 24P video, but in the right hands, somebody who knows what they're doing can really make 24P sing.

I do agree that 24P should be avoided by those who are relatively new to video production in general.
Chris, I'm curious to hear techniques to make 24p or 24f (I have an XH-A1) look its best? Or any other sources?
Jim Newberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2008, 03:17 PM   #25
Contributor

Same as any other video: Good composition, good lighting, decent camera moves.
Bill Pryor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2008, 04:45 PM   #26
Major Player

I'm also curious about why 24p specifically is noted as more challenging.

I have found (in my limited experience) you have to be careful panning the camera - it isn't very forgiving. But I can't say knowledgably that it isn't a challenge in all formats.

And for footage you may want to do slow motion effects on - even if you shoot 24p regularily - is it best practice to shoot those scenes at 30p or 60i?

Trish
Trish Kerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2008, 08:33 PM   #27
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trish Kerr View Post
I'm also curious about why 24p specifically is noted as more challenging.

I have found (in my limited experience) you have to be careful panning the camera - it isn't very forgiving. But I can't say knowledgably that it isn't a challenge in all formats.

And for footage you may want to do slow motion effects on - even if you shoot 24p regularily - is it best practice to shoot those scenes at 30p or 60i?

Trish
Hi Trish. Movement of the subject can also look bad in 24p if care is not taken. For example, a car moving quickly from left to right is just as juddery as a fast pan. So if you pan with the movement the car would look fine and only the background would judder, which should be less obvious.

And if you know you are going to apply slo-mo, it is much better to shoot 60i to begin with, for that shot.

Richard
Richard Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2008, 09:27 PM   #28
Major Player

Thanks Richard!

That's exactly the kind of info the newbies could use more of (such as myself).

A shooting mode hints and tips primer would make a great sticky.

This forum, thanks to the generous sharing of knowledge and experience is an educational goldmine.

However, the more I learn around here, the more I realize how much more there is to know. : )

Trish
Trish Kerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2008, 02:26 PM   #29
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Pryor View Post
Same as any other video: Good composition, good lighting, decent camera moves.
Are there any techniques unique to 24p/f, other than being careful when panning? Also, strobing while panning can happen with other 30p too, no?
Jim Newberry is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders