Shooting A1 together with Sony VX2000 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old January 26th, 2008, 09:22 PM   #1
Major Player

Shooting A1 together with Sony VX2000

Sorry for the blast in questions, but I just got the green light to post and I've been chomping at the bit, so to speak. I'm new to the whole pro-video and HD world, so please don't kill me for asking this:

I have an older 3CCD Sony VX2000. Am I asking for trouble by shooting with my A1 and the VX2000 and mixing them together later at post? Does the fact that the VX2000 is a SD camera pose a big problem for me when I mix it with the Hi-Def A1 for my final product? Does this only matter if my final product is released on an HD-type DVD?

Do these cameras mix well being a generation or two apart?

Like I stated before, I'm planning on doing man-on-the-street interview-type recordings. I'd like to use the A1 for 70% of the recording, but I'd like to get a second camera on there to do some better back-and-forth between the interviewER and interviewEE. I don't want to swing back and forth with the one camera and make everyone sick, so I'd like to plant a camera on one person, and the secondary camera on the other person, or from 10-feet back getting a wide shot of the whole interview process every once in a long while (interviewer/interviewee, mic-operator, and the camera-man, etc.).

I have both the VX2000 and now the A1. Is this an acceptable combination?

Thanks again for your reviews and responses!
Lloyd Claycomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2008, 12:22 PM   #2
Major Player

As a follow up, as a general rule, is it better to always film with 2 of the same cameras, or is it okay to mix and match?
Old January 27th, 2008, 12:53 PM   #3
Contributor

Depends on how picky you are. HDV, you know, is 16:9. The VX2000 is native 4:3. You will have to switch it to its electronic 16:9 mode, which introduces some softening of the image. Then when you blow it up to the HDV size in your timeline, it will get even softer.

You can do it, but whether you like it or not will depend on numerous factors. I have done this one time, with some older footage I shot with a DSR250, which has the same basic chips as your camera. Not only was it 4:3 but it was shot at 30fps, 60i. I was editing in an HD 23.98 timeline with my original Canon 24f footage. FCP did the reverse pulldown automatically and scaled the clip properly and all I had to do was blow it up and move it around. There was obviously a pretty big difference in quality, but the shot was a closeup interview, and for a documentary I felt it was within the realm of acceptability; but I would prefer to not do that again.

Best thing to do is shoot a test well in advance.
Bill Pryor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2008, 06:05 PM   #4
Major Player

Yeah, I guess you're right. The 4:3 aspect ratio will be the biggest problem since I do want to record in widescreen.

Too bad! I only have used the Sony camera for a total of 3 hours and was kind'a excited that I would finally get to use it after 5 years or so! :)

I guess the best bet would be to sell that camera and get another A1 or even a cheaper widescreen HD Canon. Would you agree?
Old January 27th, 2008, 08:54 PM   #5
Contributor

If you can do that, it would make your life easier. Quite a number of people who have the XH A1 also get the Canon HV20. It's a single chip HDV camera, and people usually get it to use as a deck for loading their footage so they don't have to use their "big" camera; then they also sometimes use it as a backup or second camera. There are advantages to having a small, consumer-looking camera for situations where you might want to look like a tourist.
Bill Pryor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2008, 09:16 PM   #6
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Pryor View Post
If you can do that, it would make your life easier. Quite a number of people who have the XH A1 also get the Canon HV20. It's a single chip HDV camera, and people usually get it to use as a deck for loading their footage so they don't have to use their "big" camera; then they also sometimes use it as a backup or second camera. There are advantages to having a small, consumer-looking camera for situations where you might want to look like a tourist.
THanks again! You've been sooo helpful all over this place! Regarding another thread topic you answered earlier about frame rates, would this HV20 be able to record in any rate the A1 would? Particularly 60i as it looks like I'm leaning toward using based on your other suggestions?

Thanks!
Lloyd Claycomb is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders