Mixing framerate on same tape? ok? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old January 31st, 2008, 12:43 PM   #1
New Boot

Mixing framerate on same tape? ok?

Hey guys
Ive had my Canon A1 for a couple months now and i've been shooting here and there with it, trying to get used to all the manual features on it.
Pretty fun learning all the features about it.

I had a question though.
Is it alright to mix framerates on a tape?

for example, i was messing around with it the other day testing some stuff out, and i started out shoooting 60i, then about 10 min later, i switched over to 24f.

Will this cause any problems when i go to capture? or dropouts or anything?
Nick Mitzenmacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2008, 12:53 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Not a good idea mixing framerates on the same tape, you would have to switch capture presets in you're NLE to capture at the correct rate.
Melvin Torrens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2008, 12:59 PM   #3
New Boot

Not a good idea.
I have experienced disk problems (Apple iMac with 750Gb external firewire drive) when trying to capture mixed frame rates.
Daniel Vanniekerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2008, 01:37 PM   #4
Trustee

Forgive me but isn't 24f on a canon still 60i?
Old January 31st, 2008, 03:52 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Yea but when you go to capture 24f you do use the Easy Setup: HDV108024p as opposed to if you're capturing 60i footage you use the Easy Setup: HDV108060i.

Basically you have to reload the setup each time your frame rate changes. It's better to keep all the same frame rates on one tape. I just realized this and yea it's a big pain in the but to have to keep switching back and forth.
Christian Nachtrieb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2008, 04:38 PM   #6
Regular Crew

I'm confused as to how 60i and 24F could be the same thing? Isn't 60i interlaced and 24F progressive?
Kellen Dengler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2008, 05:00 PM   #7
Trustee

24F is Canon's "fake 24p". From what I understand, and someone jump in here if I'm wrong, it still gets put onto tape at 60i. In your NLE, when capturing, you use pulldown conversion to get 24p.
Old January 31st, 2008, 05:25 PM   #8
Major Player

there is no pulldown with 24f. 24f is, for all intents and purposes, 24 frames progressive, and is put to tape as such.

http://dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=74964
Henry Cho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2008, 05:42 PM   #9
Trustee

Dangit! Wish I was told the "Correct" info when I had my XL1S, LOL... Cineframe 24 is 24p? hmmmmm....
Old January 31st, 2008, 08:55 PM   #10
Contributor

The frame mode of the XL1s was not the same as the 24 frame HDV mode of the current cameras. You don't get the softening and noise, for one thing. This subject has been beat to death in a zillion posts on here, and Canon has a white paper on it.
Bill Pryor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2008, 08:03 AM   #11
Wrangler

Quote:
Is it alright to mix framerates on a tape?
As note above, It can make your work flow more difficult, so most will recommend against the practice. But if you have to, you have to. So if it works for you, go for it ....but give it a test first before you do it on an important project, especially one with tight deadlines.
Old February 1st, 2008, 08:39 AM   #12
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marco Wagner View Post
24F is Canon's "fake 24p". From what I understand, and someone jump in here if I'm wrong, it still gets put onto tape at 60i. In your NLE, when capturing, you use pulldown conversion to get 24p.
I'll jump in. The consumer cams (eg Vixia HV20 or HV30) do use pulldown to record their 24p but the XL and XH cameras use Frame Mode for 24F, 25F, and 30F. The signal is encoded entirely progressively in F Mode. As has been discussed ad nauseum, the only thing not entirely progressive about F Mode is that the part number of the CCD is that of an interlaced chip, but Canon say they've modded it so all 1080 lines are read at the same instant. CANON FRAME MODE IS NOT "FAKE" progressive. It is progressive.

Anyway, if you put long leaders/handles on your footage, you can put footage of different frame rates on a tape and as long as you don't try to capture across the break point, it should be ok. But that's a bother I think most of us would avoid. As with the other folks who have responded, I just don't do it.
Pete Bauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2008, 12:57 PM   #13
Regular Crew

I've shot at 25p and 50i on the same tape simply as a test between the two and it worked fine using Sony Vegas 8 Pro.

Mark
Mark Rook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2008, 05:23 AM   #14
New Boot

thanks for all the responses guys.

i figured there wouldn't be any problems mixing framerates on a tape, but there would be just the hassle of switching settings when capturing to the footage.
Nick Mitzenmacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2008, 11:34 AM   #15
Regular Crew

Yeah, Nick, I've done it, but only if I'm shooting half and half, so I'm not constantly switching back and forth. And like someone else said, put a lot of leader and tail between the footage, meaning give like 5-10 seconds between the different frame rates.
Steve Yager is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders