DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xh-series-hdv-camcorders/)
-   -   SGpro or Redrock for my A1? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xh-series-hdv-camcorders/113679-sgpro-redrock-my-a1.html)

Loren Simons January 31st, 2008 05:50 PM

SGpro or Redrock for my A1?

I've seen arguing footage for both of them! So i was just curious on what peoples thoughts were. I already have an Achromat, (or will soon enough), so just tell me what ya think! thanks in advance!

Andrew Waite February 3rd, 2008 08:14 PM

neither... i would go with the brevis. i did for my a1 and i'm really glad i did.

David W. Jones February 3rd, 2008 11:16 PM

For larger budget commercials or music videos I would rent a P+S Technik 35 along with Zeiss Super Speed primes. But decided I needed an in-house solution for lower budget shoots that would give similar results. So I purchased a Brevis 35 with a couple different diffusers, and a set of Zeiss Contax lenses. I am very pleased with the results, and will probably pickup one of their flip modules.

Good Luck!

Willis Chung February 3rd, 2008 11:21 PM

how are the zeiss contax lenses treating you? i just got a 25,50,85 for my Letus Extreme that will come on thursday.

David W. Jones February 3rd, 2008 11:43 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Willis Chung (Post 819708)
how are the zeiss contax lenses treating you? i just got a 25,50,85 for my Letus Extreme that will come on thursday.

Nice glass for the money.
I just purchased a Zeiss Vario-Sonnar zoom that will arrive soon,
and I still have a few more primes to add to my kit.

Willis Chung February 4th, 2008 12:06 AM

what lens gears are those? which follow focus unit are you using? Thanks, you have a nice set, kinda curious though, what is that mutar 2x? know where i can locate a 35mm f/1.4 planar?

Alan Ortiz February 4th, 2008 12:32 AM

brevis for sure- but be sure to grab the flip module.

Loren Simons February 4th, 2008 12:19 PM

hmm, i think though in my price range im going to be forced for a M2, thats the first adapter ive ever looked at, and its prob going to be the last ;) and i think its the only one i can afford USED. lol not to big of a budget, when i started this thread, i thought the SG was 300, but that was pounds, and i in the states, so thats more than the M2, hahahaha so thanks all!

David W. Jones February 4th, 2008 09:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Willis Chung (Post 819716)
what lens gears are those? which follow focus unit are you using? Thanks, you have a nice set, kinda curious though, what is that mutar 2x? know where i can locate a 35mm f/1.4 planar?

Gears were done by Focus Optics.
I have an Indifocus follow focus, but it is junk and will be replaced soon.
The Mutar 2X is a doubler. Mount it to a 200mm for example, and it becomes a 400mm.
You will just have to keep your eyes and your pocketbook open for a 35/1.4,
as they tend to fetch a fistful of yen.

Willis Chung February 5th, 2008 06:10 AM

thanks for all the great info, very much appreciated.

Kellen Dengler February 5th, 2008 12:15 PM

I would honestly go with the Brevis and the flip module as well. The M2 is cool, and correct me if I'm wrong, but it won't flip the image so you would need an external monitor (expensive) and mounting hardware for that on top of the rail mount system etc. So if you figure the cost of adding all of that to the M2 vs having your image correctly flipped, I think the Brevis is a better deal.

I guess you could put up with an upside-down image in your LCD, but that would drive me nuts...

Willis Chung February 6th, 2008 04:39 AM

No Letus fans in here?

Trish Kerr February 6th, 2008 08:47 AM

Yeah, I was surprised nobody has piped in with the letus extreme - similar in price to the brevis once you add the flip module isn't it?

I'm wondering if anyone has tested the extreme head to head with the newer brevis with flip combo pack.

trish

Loren Simons February 6th, 2008 06:38 PM

im planing on buying the redrock used, so hopefully about 400 or 450, far cry from the 1200 letus =o i think it might even be more now after the holidays or something like that?

Danny Hidalgo February 6th, 2008 06:42 PM

Letus Bundles...

Letus just came out with bundles, rails plus letus extreme or mini plus case:

check it out...
http://www.letusdirect.com/news/

Peace and Blessings,

Hidalgo