Sony eye cup. How to remove the stock one? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old February 1st, 2008, 06:37 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Sony eye cup. How to remove the stock one?

Well I just got my sony eyecup for my xha1, and am having trouble removing the stock eye cup. So how did you do this without breaking it? It seems to have bands around the tilt plastic piece. any help replacing it is appreciated.
Doug Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2008, 06:53 PM   #2
Regular Crew

hey doug, it actually fits perfectly over the stock eye cup. I'm not so sure it would fit at all if the stock eyecup wasn't on there. I've been meaning to find out what type of glue is best to use rubber on rubber as the sony cup will tend to slide back with repeated use. It slides back only very slightly and over a period of time and as such is probably not a problem for 99% of shooters out there who have the sony cup but as I am incredibly anal having the two cups not perfectly flush will require my gluing them : )
Cal Bickford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2008, 07:16 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Thanks Cal. God I came close to mangling the stock cup, although I have to admit, I had a sort of perverse pleasure trying since I hated the stock cup so much. Fits perfectly as you said. It is a little flexible, but a huge improvement as mentioned in threads. BTW, I'm left eyed. I would be curious, just from a trivia stand point, which eye people use when shooting.

Last edited by Doug Rose; February 1st, 2008 at 07:25 PM. Reason: more info
Old February 1st, 2008, 07:43 PM   #4
Regular Crew

glad you could get an answer in time! I use my right eye only because i'm right handed and shoot from the right side of my body, I think my left eye is a more accurate judge of focus though.
Old February 1st, 2008, 08:01 PM   #5
Regular Crew

actually I'm right handed to, but when I'm shooting, I always go to the left eye. not sure why. also what I find interesting is when you're forced to shoot fast without thinking, why sometimes I reach for the lcd and others the eye piece.

One thing I wish the xha1 could do would be to adjust tightness on the tilt of the eye piece like a tripod. I find it it moves up and down too easily. anyhow, thanks for the help. I think you saved me a few bucks.
Old February 1st, 2008, 09:32 PM   #6
Regular Crew

glad i could help.
Old February 2nd, 2008, 01:10 AM   #7
Tourist

Some people are cross dominant when it comes to which eye they most use.
I am left handed but right eyed. A quick test will tell you which you are.

With both eyes open point both your index fingers together at a object a few feet away. Without moving your hands, close each eye and see which one you actually used to locate the object.

The other issue for we left handers is that so many things are built oriented to be operated with the right hand.
Phil Ramuno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2008, 04:35 AM   #8
Trustee

Right handed, right eye dominant but still use the left eye with the viewfinder. It's good exercise.
Tom Roper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2008, 11:25 PM   #9
Major Player

Anyone know where I can look at a picture of this sony eyecup everyone keeps talking about? :)
Deke Ryland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 3rd, 2008, 12:19 PM   #10
Regular Crew

my double click is broke otherwise i'd just click and paste the link but there is a pic a few posts down under the old thread titled "A1 eyecup" if you do a search.
Old February 4th, 2008, 01:48 AM   #11
Major Player

check it out here:

http://www.redrockmicro.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4377
Old February 5th, 2008, 12:47 PM   #12
Regular Crew

Does anyone have a link to purchase one of these? I can't seem to find one...
Kellen Dengler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2008, 02:43 PM   #13
Major Player

Also... what is the main purpose of using the sony eyepiece instead of the default one? Comfort?
Deke Ryland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2008, 03:08 PM   #14
Contributor

The one on the camera, or lack of one actually, is ineffective. Take it outdoors in bright sun and you'll see what we mean. The Sony eyecup, or something similar is a necessity. There's one made by iCuff some people like.
Bill Pryor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2008, 11:46 AM   #15
New Boot

Who stocks them in the UK?

I would love to purchase one of these sony eye cups but I cant seem to find any retailers in the UK that will supply one....not even Sony. By the time I pay $30 and the shipping and import tax to get one sent from the US to UK it becomes an expensive add on. Any one know a retailer in the UK especially Scotland that stock or can order the Sony eye cups or anything equivelent to fit a A1.
Cheers in advance
Martin
Martin D. Smith is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders