DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xh-series-hdv-camcorders/)
-   -   Canon Console and Vista (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xh-series-hdv-camcorders/114020-canon-console-vista.html)

John Sinclair February 5th, 2008 09:28 AM

Canon Console and Vista

My online searches have yet to provide a definitive answer about running console on vista. I've found several threads with conflicting opinions, including one which said that canon reps say it works - unofficially. I've downloaded the trial version and, having refused to install once because it required XP, I asked it a second time and it just said "changing settings" and installed fine. It seems to run fine too, but simply fails to see when the XH-A1 is connected. Being from a mac background, this isn't something I'm really used to!

Someone else said in a thread that they had the same issue. Has anyone found a way round it? Can't find any new drivers. The laptop recognises that the camera is connected and puts it under sound and game controllers - presumably not in a way that console picks up on.

I'll e-mail Canon too. They said there was no prospect of a mac version and they seem to be similarly unwilling to talk about vista, but if there is a workaround, there's perhaps a slight possibility they might tell me.

If not, I guess I'll have to think about getting hold of a copy of XP.

Many thanks for any advice...

Byron Santo August 2nd, 2008 08:17 PM

Console can run on Vista

I've been testing the demo version of Console 1.1 on my PC running Vista SP1. Couple of things must be done before it will work.

1) Right click on the "CONSOLE11N.EXE" file
2) Select "Properties"
3) Select the "Compaltibility" tab
4) In the "Compaltibility Mode" section click the check box "Run this program in compaltibility mode for"
5) Select "Windows XP (Service Pack 2)
6) Press OK

Now install the software

In the "Program Files/Canon/CONSOLE1.1" directory locate the file named "Console.exe"

Repeat steps 1 - 5 then run Console

Console now thinks it's running on an XP PC

Carl Ledesma May 27th, 2009 10:38 PM

Wont recognize virtual vcr

I followed the directions, and it appears to be working, but it is not working properly. My vista laptop dell vostro 1510, runs the program, it won't recognize my the virtual vcr built into the program. I know this because if have used the console on xp machines and it has to install drivers for virtual vcr.

If anyone can help with that; I would be very happy. Thanks.

Michael Scherr June 26th, 2009 01:59 PM

64bit

Doesn't work the way discribed with my Vista 64bit, too...

Michael

Philip Younger June 26th, 2009 05:29 PM

This kind of compatibility problem is not confined to the Canon Console. Read various sections of this site and you will see conflicts relating to Vista not seeing various cameras.

I think it has something to do with the Firewire port on your computer. I read somewhere that Firewire ports were adapted to meet Vista compatibility and, of course, many 'older' Firewire ports were installed in PC's before this became a recognised problem - especially with laptops.

Personally I have access to 2 PC's and 2 laptops. The Sony laptop is fine but the Asus won't recognise my G1 without a lot of fiddling about.

The PC's are both home built one uses an Asus mobo (pre-Vista years) which works in the same way the Asus laptop does, whilst the Intel mobo PC is fine.