2.35:1 aspect composition practice at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old February 8th, 2008, 06:17 PM   #1
Regular Crew

2.35:1 aspect composition practice

http://www.vimeo.com/674848

Shot this Friday afternoon, just getting some practice composing shots in the 2.35:1 ratio.

24f, exposure was left at 1/24 by mistake. Very short, only 30 seconds. I will add more to this soon, but frankly I didn't feel like standing out in the cold for too long today. New York bites sometimes.
Christian Nachtrieb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2008, 11:58 PM   #2
Regular Crew

I think the composition looks great at that aspect ratio. The music also added a fantastic overtone of suspense to go along with the dreary weather and dead end sign.

As a new user of the A1, how did you achieve that extra wide aspect ratio. Are you using an adapter with a different lens?
Takashi Doscher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2008, 01:04 AM   #3
Regular Crew

It's not really extra wide, I just cropped it in Final Cut. You can apply a widescreen matte, and then all I did was change the Sequence settings to a custom aspect ratio and used the widescreen bars as a guideline.

After you do that it chops off the black bars and it's just video. This has to be the very last thing you do in editing though, otherwise you have to re-render a lot.
Christian Nachtrieb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2008, 03:09 AM   #4
Wrangler

Landscapes really lend themselves to that aspect ratio. People can be a bit trickier, especially over-the-shoulder shots.
Old March 1st, 2008, 10:37 AM   #5
Major Player

I thought that it looked great. Keep up the good work.
Will Mahoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2008, 01:25 PM   #6
Wrangler

About to start a 2.40 feature, studio has requested that we protect the 1.85 frame in case they change their mind about the release format. Luckily I don't have to compose for both (pretty much impossible from a headroom standpoint) but this means keeping booms and dolly track and flags etc. way clear of the 2.40 frame, tough on the sound guys.

incidentally, here is a trailer for a feature I shot a few years ago in 2.40 on the F900, same method as Christian described (cropped from the 1.78 frame).

http://theperfectsleep.com/
Old March 2nd, 2008, 09:10 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Custom aspect ratio for that look is?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christian Nachtrieb View Post
It's not really extra wide, I just cropped it in Final Cut. You can apply a widescreen matte, and then all I did was change the Sequence settings to a custom aspect ratio and used the widescreen bars as a guideline.

After you do that it chops off the black bars and it's just video. This has to be the very last thing you do in editing though, otherwise you have to re-render a lot.

Christain,
I like your look....:) Nice! The A1 makes it easy!

I have FCS2 and would like to know what the "Sequence Setting" is to get just the video with out the black bars. Custom aspect ratio for that look is? I have tried but cant seem to find the right setting.
Thanks
Rob Cook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2008, 10:39 PM   #8
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Papert View Post
About to start a 2.40 feature, studio has requested that we protect the 1.85 frame in case they change their mind about the release format. Luckily I don't have to compose for both (pretty much impossible from a headroom standpoint) but this means keeping booms and dolly track and flags etc. way clear of the 2.40 frame, tough on the sound guys.

incidentally, here is a trailer for a feature I shot a few years ago in 2.40 on the F900, same method as Christian described (cropped from the 1.78 frame).

http://theperfectsleep.com/
I loved the trailer for The Perfect Sleep. Not only was it shot superbly, the movie seemed very entertaining. I'd definitely watch it.
Dmitry Futoryan is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders