I-Cuff at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old February 10th, 2008, 02:25 PM   #1
Regular Crew

I-Cuff

Anyone tried one of these on the A1? Someone asked in the Sony Eyecup thread but no one answered him.

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showpost....9&postcount=75
Steve Sobodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2008, 08:57 PM   #2
Trustee

I have one and like it. I installed it over the existing eyepiece, leaving the small rubber cup in place.

Fitting it was a bit of a challenge as the opening in the I-Cuff is a wee bit to small to fit over the eyepiece, so I cut some of the stitches in the small end of the I-Cuff and it went on fine and is held in place with the velcro fastener.

I really like the I-Cuff and makes it easier on my old eyes. I don't squint so much with my left eye. I'd recommend it.
Tripp Woelfel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2008, 09:21 PM   #3
Inner Circle

I use this Hoodman, nice fit and very comfortable for anyone who wears glasses.
Also use their hood and skins for the LCD, left over from previous cams. The skins are good for marking up horizons etc.

http://www.hoodmanusa.com/prodinfo.asp?number=H-XL1

Cheers.
Allan Black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2008, 11:39 AM   #4
Regular Crew

The hoodman version looks like it flops around a bit and might sag out of line and block the finder. Is this a problem? It looks long and large for the A1. Can you post a photo or two with it installed?
Steve Sobodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2008, 03:18 PM   #5
Inner Circle

I haven't found a problem. In that Hoodman Hood pix the rim of the Ikegami viewfinder is apparent, just below the logo.

For the A1, the soft middle part of the Hood between the logo and the Velcro collapses to shorten it, and the rim of the A1s viewfinder sits in the same place. The Hoodman is designed that way. I got 2 spare cushions, I'm miles from BnH.
Cheers.
Allan Black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2008, 07:53 AM   #6
Inner Circle

Trip ... there's 3 models of the i-cuff:

http://www.i-cuff.com/buy.html

Do you know which one you fit to the A1?
Les Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2008, 09:00 AM   #7
Trustee

Ernest, It's this one: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...iewfinder.html

The other two would have been way too big.
Tripp Woelfel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2008, 10:49 PM   #8
Inner Circle

You're right, I tried the i-cuff from my XL1s and it's too large. However, the only one that will fit required two seams to be ripped so it would open enough to go around the eyecup throat. It also required the velcro strap to be extended. Fortunately, my wife sews and she added a 1" piece of elastic.

I hope i-cuff gets around to making one for the A1. After all the mods, it was dissappointing. It pushes your eye back so far that you can't see the whole scree. Also, the eye cup is a tad wider so it's hard to get a good seal (it's basically too wide.
Les Wilson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders