DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xh-series-hdv-camcorders/)
-   -   At a loss with this imaging problem. (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xh-series-hdv-camcorders/114479-loss-imaging-problem.html)

Sherman Wing February 10th, 2008 04:23 PM

At a loss with this imaging problem.

I've been trying to get a handle on this problem for a minute. I've contacted Canon but got no answer. I got the A1 because of it's superior picture quality but I'm finding this crazy effect, When I plug the camera into my monitor the effect is not so noticable but when it's on my computer monitor and I'm trying to edit, it's just terrible.
http://insidestreetball.com/site/web...iththisab.html
The above link shows a frame of the problem. At this point I'm not sure if it's the camera or the various capturing software.
The top frame shows the problem, the bottom frame was taken the same day.
It was shot: 24f, 1/60 captured using Vegas 8 which I bought after using HDV split and getting that problem. If anyone has seen this can you please point me in the right direction?

Bill Pryor February 10th, 2008 04:38 PM

Could be your shutter speed. It should be 1/48 for shooting 24f. You might try that and see what happens.

Trish Kerr February 10th, 2008 04:57 PM

I was wondering about that - could unusual shutter choice actually create ghosting on only one portion of the image?

trish

Bill Busby February 10th, 2008 05:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trish Kerr (Post 823896)
I was wondering about that - could unusual shutter choice actually create ghosting on only one portion of the image?

On movement, yes. The car is moving, not parked :)

Trish Kerr February 10th, 2008 07:10 PM

ooh - right - didn't even occur to me the car might be moving : ) oye

trish

Bo Sundvall February 11th, 2008 09:03 AM

Hi

Do you by any chance have noice reduction 1 (NR1) set in the Custom Preset file you are using?

NR1 have three levels, all of them leaving ghost trails on moving objects. Try to set NR1 to OFF and see what happends.

Regards,

/Bo

Sherman Wing February 13th, 2008 10:20 PM

Thanks Bo, I'll give it a shot next time. I guess I have to live with those results for this project

Nate Weaver February 14th, 2008 12:08 AM

You're looking at two fields blended together on the computer monitor.

This happens because the comp monitor is a progressive display and cannot show interlacing correctly. It's not the camera's problem, it's a combination of the nature of your comp monitor and how your edit software is displaying the frames.

Pete Bauer February 14th, 2008 12:20 AM

Although it shouldn't be an interlace issue since 24F is a fully progressive frame, it looks to me like Nate is on the right track about the overlay of multiple frames. I can see at least three semi-transparent images of the car (and no combing artifact typically seen with interlace issues). I don't use Vegas or HD Split so can't even guess how this happened...sure you didn't apply an echo effect or something? Does HD Split support Canon F-Mode? Perhaps experienced users of those software apps can chime in?

Nate Weaver February 14th, 2008 10:09 AM

Oops, I missed the 24f part. Pete is correct about that part.

Even though what I describe usually looks like "combing", I've seen some display scaling mess it up so it looks like ghost images, depending on the program.

Don Palomaki February 14th, 2008 11:43 AM

Actually it looks to me like three frames combined, i.e., background of the frame of interest with transparent overlays of the previous and following frame. This is a method of reducing random thermal noise (not fixed pattern image grain), so the NR1 set to low makes sense to me.

Peter Svensson February 15th, 2008 11:03 PM

Sharp picture in heavy motion

Hey guys (these are my first words in here... :) )

Ok, I just bought a HX A1 (and a HV20)

I am about to start a windsurfing movie project. That means that most of my clips will contain extremely high motion. Zooming, ocean, fast moving surfers who do tricks in 12 frames worst case.

What should I think about regarding the settings in A1 mainly? Like Bo wrote (tjena Bo) above the presets have some noise reductions etc, should I have presets set to off? And then also... I mainly shot in where bright conditions so should I have high shutter speed, as 1000? I have to have razorsharp frames since I do alot of slowmotion in Adobe programes (plugin twixtor).

Sum: How do I make sure to get the best and sharpest picture out of the A1 with the circumstances describe with crazy amount of motion.

Thanks in advance

Peter
Sweden