Second Channel Audio at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old February 12th, 2008, 01:20 PM   #1
Major Player

Second Channel Audio

Is there a way I can test my second XLR channel? I don't think it is working, but I'm not sure. Or can someone tell me the position the sliders should be in, just to make sure? Thanks=)
Old February 12th, 2008, 02:17 PM   #2
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loren Simons View Post
Is there a way I can test my second XLR channel? I don't think it is working, but I'm not sure. Or can someone tell me the position the sliders should be in, just to make sure? Thanks=)
I'm not sure I fully understand the question. Does this help?

XLR input 1 (upper socket) can be switched between Ch 1 and Ch 1+2 (lower right of the 4 sliders).

If input 1 is switched to Ch 1+2, you won't get any input from XLR input 2.

If you are using a mic input, don't have the line/mic slider (upper right of the 4 sliders) set to line.

The attenuator switches (upper and lower left of the 4 sliders) would probably normally be off unless you have a very hot signal coming in. If in doubt, try with them on first.

Don't forget the audio level Auto/Manual switch on the other side of the camera underneath the audio gains. If using manual, remember the gain pots work upside down compared to what usually happens.

If your XLR input 1 is set to Ch 1+2, you will see a signal on both channels on the display on the side of the camera and the viewfinder (if you have left this on in display setup) and you will hear it on headphones and on the tape, but it won't be coming from XLR input 2.

The mic attenuator switch on the top of the camera is for the built in mic not the XLRs so it won't affect anything.
Colin McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2008, 10:57 PM   #3
Major Player

You Might have answered this in ur above post, but just double checking, should i only be hearing channel two from the right ear and channel 1 from left? Thanks again
Old February 13th, 2008, 03:21 PM   #4
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loren Simons View Post
You Might have answered this in ur above post, but just double checking, should i only be hearing channel two from the right ear and channel 1 from left? Thanks again
I am not trying to be humourous here but for a start you need to be sure your headphones are on the right way round.

Next, with two XLR inputs connected, you should hear XLR input 1 from the left and XLR input 2 from the right IF the slider for input 1 (lower right of the 4 sliders) is in the "CH1" position.

If you have only one XLR connected to input 1 it could come out either left (if the selector is set to Ch1) or or both (if the selector is set to Ch1+2).
Old February 13th, 2008, 03:47 PM   #5
Regular Crew

I use a Rode NTG-2. I have it plugged into the XLR channel 1 socket. Should I have the Ch on 1 or 1+2. Also with regard to the attenuator switch, should I turn this on if I'm filming loud jet aeroplanes, what exactly does this do.

Thanks for any input.

Mark.
Mark Rook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2008, 02:34 PM   #6
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Rook View Post
I use a Rode NTG-2. I have it plugged into the XLR channel 1 socket. Should I have the Ch on 1 or 1+2. Also with regard to the attenuator switch, should I turn this on if I'm filming loud jet aeroplanes, what exactly does this do.
Either 1 or 1+2 would work, but with 1+2 you would have sound on both left and right speakers/headphones without making any other adjustments to the audio channels.

I don't know about the attenuators - maybe yes but the auto gain and manual gain pots can handle most things. The attenuators are designed to drop the input level if you connect a strong signal to the XLRs, eg from a mixer. Normally this is used in combination with the line level input.

You are not filming from really close to the planes are you? You could cause physical damage to the mic if the sound pressure exceeds the spec. Jet blast won't do you any good either.
Old February 15th, 2008, 05:38 PM   #7
Wrangler

You will probably find the attenuator on setting of value when recording jet aircraft and other loud sound sources, especially with high sensitivity microphones.

The attenuator setting reduces the gain of the input amplifier stage, thus making the audio less likely to overload, and also improving the noise floor. This is a benefit not provided by the gain controls which come after the input preamp in the signal path. You could turn the gain pots down and still overload the input amp with a strong input signal from a high output microphone.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders