So far a decent matte box and monitor? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old February 16th, 2008, 04:37 PM   #1
Major Player

So far a decent matte box and monitor?

So far whats been found to be a good lower priced mattebox filters are not really needed I have screw on that I use often, for an xha1 and also a nice small external monitor, HD is nice but full screen for framing on a crane, dolly and steadycam, are whats its really needed for so even a lowpriced sd monitor that shows full frame would be fine.

What are the best deals around and what are the next tier up in price and quality.

Thanks for any help.
Old February 18th, 2008, 03:37 PM   #2
Regular Crew

I'm personally waiting for:

http://redrockmicro.com/microMattebox.html

They are going to be released second quarter of this year and will retail for only $500! You CANNOT beat that for a 3 stage adjustable filter matte box. I have seriously searched high and low for every possible matte box combination compatible with the A1 and this is by far the best for your money. RedRock has an amazing reputation in the industry as well.

You could pair up a monitor mounting bracket or arm via the MicroMatte Box rail system as well. I haven't really looked into monitors that much, but a SD monitor on an HDV cam seems pointless to me. Ikan is selling refurbished monitors at half price on their website with full warranty. I would definitely look into that. An 8" HD monitor for only $400 is a pretty sweet deal...

http://www.ikancorp.com/
Kellen Dengler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2008, 06:21 PM   #3
Trustee

I've been looking at Matte Boxes for a while and decided that since I really don't need filters (I'll use screw on) - I'd just make one.

It's cardboard & gaffer tape - does it work? - YES - does it look good? - only from a distance

I'm using the lens hood from the XH-A1 with some velcro and it does the job.

I've also got a LEX with 4 Canon FD lenses and I've made the same unit work for this with another cardboard attachment for the bottom of the hood which fits on the rails.

It's not very elegant but it does the job and leaves me some cash to spend on other things.

For the monitor I got a 7" LCD off ebay for $70 - no good for focus but very light for on-camera / crane and fine for framing. The resolution was quoted as 1024 but it ended up being 480x234 - dodgy ebay sellers! - still the price was right.
Attached Thumbnails
So far a decent matte box and monitor?-mattebox-001.jpg   So far a decent matte box and monitor?-mattebox-002.jpg  

So far a decent matte box and monitor?-mattebox-003.jpg   So far a decent matte box and monitor?-mattebox-004.jpg  

So far a decent matte box and monitor?-mattebox-005.jpg   So far a decent matte box and monitor?-mattebox-006.jpg  

So far a decent matte box and monitor?-mattebox-007.jpg   So far a decent matte box and monitor?-mattebox-008.jpg  

Old February 18th, 2008, 08:45 PM   #4
Regular Crew

I love it, Paul!

:)
Old February 19th, 2008, 12:15 AM   #5
Major Player

Looks pretty good to me Paul.
Bill Watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2008, 01:43 AM   #6
Major Player

Paul, do you have any dimensions or sort of blueprints? Im Really interested in thatt little design you've got there!
Old February 19th, 2008, 03:16 AM   #7
Trustee

no plans or anything but I'll do you a little step by step video if you like - it wouldn't be hard to make it look a lot more professional
Old February 19th, 2008, 10:38 AM   #8
Regular Crew

That's pretty crafty Paul!

The funny thing is that GearDear is selling foam-core manufactured type matte boxes that probably cost about as much as yours to amke, but cost WAY more to buy...
Kellen Dengler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2008, 11:44 PM   #9
Major Player

yes paul i would love that! when you have time my email is lorensimons@mac.com, thanks so much!
Old February 21st, 2008, 12:51 PM   #10
Major Player

I would love to see a step by step video as well. My e-mail is hallewoode@gmail.com.
Old February 21st, 2008, 11:16 PM   #11
Regular Crew

same here: nagisa.kodama@gmail.com
Nagisa Kodama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2008, 01:25 AM   #12
Trustee

okay guys & gals - here it is

It's quick & dirty but if you refer to the pictures above it should all make sense.

Mine's a little of the rough side but it's just a test and I'll make a better one next time. It's cost me almost nothing and it does the job - it's basically a shade, a bigger lens hood.

For short films and personal projects it's fine but remember I don't do this for a living - I'm not charging. If I were, I'd think about buying a more professional looking unit. Mind you I be thinking pretty hard with the prices they charge.

For now it works, and if I use it till it falls apart then I know I'm getting my money's worth.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b6CxtE-iVug

I think there would also be a way to add adjustable french flags as well - made out of .... I'm sure you can guess
Old February 24th, 2008, 09:20 AM   #13
Tourist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kellen Dengler View Post
The funny thing is that GearDear is selling foam-core manufactured type matte boxes that probably cost about as much as yours to amke, but cost WAY more to buy...
Hello Kellen,

have you ever tried to put a 4x4" filter inside of this "mattebox"?
IMHO matteboxes do not make much sense without filters...

And there is a big difference between this cardboard "mattebox" and my Geardear www.geardear.com one, there is more expertise and craftmanship inside than you maybe can imagine. There is a reason why it got a DVmagazine "Instant Expert" listing www.dv.com/dv/magazine/2007/August/ie0807.pdf ...

Have you had ever one in your hand yourself?

Marc
Marc Maran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2008, 12:16 PM   #14
Regular Crew

Matte Box

Marc, the Matte Boxes shown on this web site fir the XL1. Do they also fit the XG A1(G1)?
Phil Taylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2008, 01:07 AM   #15
Major Player

Phil, while im not from geardear, i recently was wondering that myself, and to my understanding there are matte-boxes from geardear specially designed for the a1 and g1, with a cut out for the autofocus sensor still=)

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders