is the G1 really worth $3000 more than the A1 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old February 18th, 2008, 12:05 AM   #1
Regular Crew

is the G1 really worth $3000 more than the A1

my first thread.
i am about to purchase a HD camera. i was originally set on the A1 as there was a $5000 difference between it and the G1. it has come down to about a $3000 difference. i will be using it to shoot training dvd's and possibly wedding and promotional material.

i have also been looking at the jvc HD111E which is AUD $5750. it's about $1500 more than the A1 but i like that it doesn't have a fixed lens. i am a bit biased towards canon as i am a photographer with all canon gear and have always thought that canon has always been great value as far as bang for your buck.

any input would be invaluable.

aloha
Jai Gabbard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2008, 01:12 AM   #2
Obstreperous Rex

The difference in price between the G1 and A1 is due only to the G1's extra connectivity (SDI, GenLock and TimeCode). Otherwise there is no difference between the two. You have to ask yourself these questions:

1. Do I need SDI? For raw, uncompressed HD output. Usually to a VTR or monitor.

2. Do I need GenLock? For live multi-camera switching.

3. Do I need a dedicated TimeCode input/output? For slaving to an external TC source or for providing a TC master to an external device.

If the answers to these three questions are all "no," then you don't need the G1. If the answer to one or more of these questions is yes, then you'll definitely want to consider it. Hope this helps,

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2008, 01:43 AM   #3
New Boot

Unless you are going to use the camera(S) in a studio type situation, it's highly unlikely that you will ever use the three additional connectors. In this case, since the camera board in the A1 almost certainly contains the electronics, you are paying $5000 ($3000) for three connectors!

The A1 is a fine camera and you should be well pleased with it. Don't forget that extra lenses for the JVC are likely to cost as much each as the camera.

For the sort of work you intend, you may be better off with an A1 and a copy of Console 1.1 camera control software.

Regards
Neal Reville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2008, 02:13 AM   #4
Regular Crew

thankyou very much for your help. i think at this stage i don't need the G1.

do you have any unbiased opinions in choosing between the A1 and the jvc111E?
i have been browsing the forum and have generally gotten alot of biased opinions from jvc users and canon users. both making valid points but both also respectively loyal to their hardware.

thanks again for your help.

jai
Old February 18th, 2008, 02:14 AM   #5
Regular Crew

thanks neil. i guess you just answered my question.

aloha
Old February 18th, 2008, 05:05 AM   #6
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neal Reville View Post
In this case, since the camera board in the A1 almost certainly contains the electronics, you are paying $5000 ($3000) for three connectors!
Hi Neal. I thought you would be paying for the SDI functionality, not just the connectors. If we adopt your way of pricing, the Canon Console software should be free, since it is available through download, and doesn't have any connectors at all.

Richard
Richard Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2008, 09:51 AM   #7
Wrangler

The camera may have the electronics on the boards, but likely needs a different ROM in addition to the connectors. Likewise, the "PAL" or "both ways" version no doubt needs a different ROM installed.
Old February 20th, 2008, 02:07 PM   #8
Regular Crew

Both Cameras are Good

Jai,

Both cameras are great and produce fantastic results in good lighting. I shoot corporate video for work on a JVC 200 with a stock lens and weddings on a Canon XHA1. The JVC offers better manual controls. The Canon is great for run & gun shooting.

I think if I had to choose between them I'd take the JVC because I'm more used to a full sized camera with a manual lens. If you set up your camera with Paulo's True Color your images will look great. Manual focus with the Canon can be tricky. I find myself using auto focus some of the time because I just can not tell if I'm in focus with the small lcd screen. But even with auto focus the images are great.

Also on-camera lighting is not easy on the canon. With the JVC I use AB batteries and lighting is no problem. For the canon right now I'm using a battery pack slung over my shoulder.

If I were buying a new camera today I would take a look at the Sony EX1. It's small like the XHA1 but has good manual lens control.
Troy Teuscher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2008, 05:25 PM   #9
Trustee

I have both the Canon XH-A1 and the JVC HD110.

The Canon does both HDV interlaced and progressive. It also has an excellent autofocus. It is easy to transport. The lens is quite a bit wider than the JVC lens and is more useful in a variety of situations than the standard JVC lens.

If you are going to shoot primarily with the camera hand held (on your shoulder with the JVC) and you never need autofocus, the JVC might be preferable.

For general use, I prefer the Canon. I bought it because I am working on a documentary at locations in Europe, traveling out of L.A., and the Canon is just is transportable along with a DSLR and lenses and other accessories. The Canon also offers more shooting options for a variety of situations.

However, for special projects (or for shoulder mounted pro-style operation), the JVC has a lot to offer. I will add that I also have the Fujinon wide-angle lens which runs about $7000 now.

Interchangeable lenses is not a meaningful feature unless you are going to buy additional lenses and interchange them. They also bring the back focus issue into the picture, which doesn't exist with the fixed lens cameras.

Both cameras have plenty of adjustments and are capable of any "look" you want.
Jack Walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2008, 09:04 PM   #10
Regular Crew

thanks again for the input.
while we are talking about lenses and focussing, i am also looking at purchasing an adaptor for the xha1. any thoughts or preference between the letus, brevis, redrock and any others worth looking at? i dont have huge budget but after looking at some sample clips, as well as being a photographer with a wide array of canon lenses in my kit, i really enjoy working with a shallow depth of field.
sorry if i am a bit naive but i don't like wasting my money on gear that just isn't quite there.
any other input on what else i might need for my start up kit would be great. i have a decent SLIK tripod i use for my photography that looks like it would handle the XHA1 without a problem.
thanks all!

aloha
jai
Old February 21st, 2008, 05:43 AM   #11
Regular Crew

Hi Jai,

You already have suggestions from others far far more experienced than I (just so you know how qualified: this is Chris' forum; and Don and Jack are serious dudes), but for what it's worth:

We just purchased 2 G1s (for sit down interviews in a studio), after looking long and hard at the JVC 251e (the equivalent of the 111 but with HD SDI jacks--similar concept to Canon's A1 and G1). We're using the HD SDI outputs but given Chris' questions I think you'll be set with the A1.

A (the?) major reason we went for the Canon was because it has a 1080 censor whilst the JVC has only a 720; and we don't need interchangeable lenses. Note both Canon and JVC shoot progressive (effectively--although Canon call there's 25f rather than 25p, but I understand it is basically progressive). Also the cost of a (decent) interchangeable lens seems a bit prohibitive. The A1 will save you lots of cash and you can put it towards better audio, lights and/or post production.

A quick search of the forum for adaptor discussions returned these:
http://dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.ph...t=adaptor+lens

A search for "letus, brevis, redrock" will give you a plethora of links.

Check out Stephen Dempsey's footage for what can be done with the Letus:
http://www.pinelakefilms.com/short_reel.html

Jai I also noticed a few locals pop up in those links who you may wish to contact via PM and have a chat with them??

Best of luck,

James
Jim Press is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2008, 05:48 AM   #12
Regular Crew

Should have included this too:

(includes a review of the Letus by Stephen Demsey)
Jim Press is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2008, 02:22 AM   #13
Regular Crew

thanks jim.
i sort of have my eye on the brevis flip. was looking at a light test and from what i have seen it seems to lose the least amount of light of all the ones i have researched.

i will start with the A1 and then slowly build my kit around it.

thanks to all!

i could sit on this forum for weeks and still only touch the tip of the iceberg of information here:)

aloha

jai
Jai Gabbard is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders