Jaggy on horizontal lines with A1 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old February 20th, 2008, 04:08 AM   #1
Trustee

Jaggy on horizontal lines with A1

My fellow indie filmmaker asked me this. He has A1 and he notices jaggy on horizontal direction when he shoots with A1.
He compared his camera with another A1 at the shop he got his camera from and he notices less jaggy on the one at the shop.

He contacted Canon and he was told that it is within Canon's specification so
Canon can't do anything about it.

Is there any ways you can suggest to improve his image by getting rid of the jaggies?
Kaku Ito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2008, 07:24 AM   #2
Trustee

Hi Kaku. Can you check with your friend if he is using frame mode (e.g. 24F, 30F) or interlaced (60i)? Also, how is he viewing the footage?

If he is shooting 60i and viewing on a PC monitor, it is quite normal to see interlace-type jaggies.

Richard
Richard Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2008, 10:04 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Another thing to be watchful of

I'm just spitballing here but If the program that is displaying the video is not at %100 viewing, then you get that as well. If the video doesn't fit then try viewing at %50.
Sherman Wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2008, 08:34 PM   #4
Trustee

Thanks Sherman and Richard,

Well, he did take his camera to the dealer, connect both his and store's demo to the same HD monitor using component output, set to default setting on the parameters then they look different in terms of the amount of jaggies.
Kaku Ito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2008, 10:03 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaku Ito View Post
Thanks Sherman and Richard,

Well, he did take his camera to the dealer, connect both his and store's demo to the same HD monitor using component output, set to default setting on the parameters then they look different in terms of the amount of jaggies.
Kaku, should have just given me a call mate. Tell him to drop his detail to around -3 as a start point. Then get him to post his results.
Noel Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2008, 09:17 PM   #6
Trustee

Hey Noel,

Thanks for the tip. We're both too busy.

I'll tell this to the customer.
Kaku Ito is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders