Editing SD 24F and 24P Together at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old February 26th, 2008, 01:25 AM   #1
New Boot

Editing SD 24F and 24P Together

Hi everyone,

I am having a dillemma. I am faced with the decision of upgrading to either the Canon XL2 or the Canon XH-A1 (Unfortunately, I won't be using HDV anytime soon, my current computer can't really handle it, but I want to be future concious.)

It all falls down to one thing I guess. I am going to do a shoot in March for a piano concerto. The other cameraman is using his Panasonic AG-DVX1000 in 24p.

I don't want to have any problems in post, so what I'm asking is if the A1's SD 24F and the DVX's 24p can be edited together without any technical issues? I believe it's being edited in Final Cut Pro, I dunno what version.

I REALLY want to make sure there won't be any huge issues before going and getting an XH-A1 and finding out there's weird incompatibilities in post, that would completely suck.

Thanks,
Alex
Alex Merrill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2008, 05:17 AM   #2
Major Player

I just did a similar shoot for a concert using an XHA1 and an XL2 shooting in 24F and 24P respectively. I edited in Vegas, not FCP, but I didn't have any problems getting the footage to match up or anything. Didn't suffer any glitches applying transitions or anything between the two sources.

Also, for good measure, I had someone shooting frame-mode on my old GL1 and even had that footage on the timeline as well. Project settings were set to HDV 1080i 24p.

Not sure if that helps you or not :) Basically the 24F and the 24P are the same thing once they're on the computer (per another thread on here).

JR
Jeremiah Rickert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2008, 10:47 AM   #3
Contributor

I've done the same thing, with the XH A1 and an XL2 and some DVX100a footage, all shot at 24fps, all edited in FCP. Canon's 24F mode in the XL H1/XH G1/A1 IS 24p in the final result. It's the same thing, just arrived at differently. You won't have any problem.
Bill Pryor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2008, 11:36 AM   #4
New Boot

Awesome! Thank you very much, guys!
Alex Merrill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2008, 09:51 AM   #5
Regular Crew

I've found lots of things touchy with editing 24F and 24p footage. But from my experience, it hasn't been between the Canon XH-A1 and the Panasonic DVX100B.

The main issue was when I also incorporated footage from a Sony V1U that everything seemed to have problems in FCP 6.0. But after talking to someone at Apple, the problems can arise with almost any combination of cameras.

Are you merely editing footage together or are you doing any multi-cam projects? Because the new FCP studio seems to have gone a step backwards in this area and is still a step (I'm really afraid to admit) behind Premiere CS3 in this regard.

I would say that if you have a SD camera in the shoot then make the decision early on whether you are using your HD cameras to merely capture SD vs. HD. I would recommend shooting all the footage the same to try to get everything to the same level first.
Ryan Postel is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders