DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xh-series-hdv-camcorders/)
-   -   What to buy next (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xh-series-hdv-camcorders/116055-what-buy-next.html)

Kevin Myhre February 29th, 2008 04:32 PM

What to buy next

Okay I have my a1 and a tripod. In a couple of months I have a wedding coming up and I'm already trying to figure out what to buy next. I was going to use the money for a wide angle adapter but after seeing some of Steve Dempsey's work I'm starting to wonder what I should but. What do you guys think. A wide angle adapter, the indislider, or save a little more for the letus? Or something that I haven't even thought of. seeing all of your work really makes me want to get outside and start filming something. Damn wind and cold's not letting me do that though lol any suggestions would be greatly appreciated

Brian Robertson February 29th, 2008 06:44 PM

How about a decent sound system - radio mic, shotgun, wind gag, cables, batteries, bag to put it all in, time to work out how to use it?
Or, back up camera, spares of everthing you already have, lights, enough tape to see you through the day, oh, more spare batteries for the cameras as well as everything else. I find a decent monopod comes in handy but no more so than a good lense cloth. Sorry if that sounds a bit sharp but with a couple of months to go I don't think it's helpful being anything else but blunt.

Kevin Myhre February 29th, 2008 06:50 PM

Thanks for the reply. I should mention that I've had the camera for over a year and have most of the basics I need. Just looking for advice on a new toy to use with it

Brian Robertson March 1st, 2008 04:06 AM

Then my sincere apologies for being a touch harsh - don't know what it's like in the States, but over here we are plagued with people in the photography and video wedding business who think that having a camera and a tripod somehow makes them able to do the job.

John Stakes March 1st, 2008 08:11 PM

I'd get the Letus or a new editing system...

Josh Gooden March 1st, 2008 10:01 PM

I totally understand where your coming from on the wind and cold factor recently. As far as equipment goes, I'd think instead of the slider you should build your self a homemade dolly to save some money. I just did today actually and it's smooth as glass. Plus it was only about a hundred and fifty dollars using the plans from Digital Juice (http://www.digitaljuice.com/djtv/seg...searchid=47484) Now if you make this and get a Letus, you'll be unstoppable.

Although if your looking to do more weddings in the future, I'd certainly check out a Steadicam but keep in mind that they are not cheap.

Benjamin Hill March 1st, 2008 10:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kevin Myhre (Post 835536)
Thanks for the reply. I should mention that I've had the camera for over a year and have most of the basics I need. Just looking for advice on a new toy to use with it

Depends, if you are a hobbyist or professional. Plenty of "toys" out there but if you are a working videographer with bills to pay let your work dictate what you buy. An on-camera light, good shotgun and lav mic, a decent machine for editing, a grip kit, plenty of batteries, high-quality HDV tapes, all pretty essential gear if you ask me.

Robert Wide March 2nd, 2008 05:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Josh Gooden (Post 835986)
I totally understand where your coming from on the wind and cold factor recently. As far as equipment goes, I'd think instead of the slider you should build your self a homemade dolly to save some money. I just did today actually and it's smooth as glass. Plus it was only about a hundred and fifty dollars using the plans from Digital Juice (http://www.digitaljuice.com/djtv/seg...searchid=47484) Now if you make this and get a Letus, you'll be unstoppable.

Brilliant!! I'm a big fan of DJ but hadn't seen this one... I am certainly going to build this Dolly, thanks for the tip!

Robert

Robert Wide March 23rd, 2008 09:51 AM

OK, I build the dolly today, took me just 2 hours (having two left hands) and it works great!! Glass smooth motion over two pvc pipes, great fun to build!

Regards,

Robert

Lonnie Bell March 23rd, 2008 10:05 AM

Audio upgrades. Period. You got a great camera and you could add more bells and whistles to enhance imagery, but if your wedding video doesn't sound professional as well, and this means other than your on camera stereo mic, it isn't going to cut it as pro work.

Jerome Cloninger March 23rd, 2008 11:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kevin Myhre (Post 835459)
Okay I have my a1 and a tripod. In a couple of months I have a wedding coming up and I'm already trying to figure out what to buy next.

any suggestions would be greatly appreciated

For weddings (kind of in order):
--Business license.
--Insurance.
--Sales Tax
--Advertising & Marketing Money
--Training DVDs or workshops
--LANC zoom controller
--A 2nd camera and another tripod... then a 3rd.
--The CB-105 Shouldermount gizmo (unless you are super steady handheld for a decent period of time)
--Extra batteries and cables.
--Minimum of 3 Wireless Mics or Zoom H2, Marantz PMD620, iRivers with a lavalier mic... one each for the groom, readers, and minister.
--Frezzi dimmable on camera light for low light receptions.
--Box, case, bags to carry everything in.
--Beefy computer and good editing software.
--DVD Printer
--Nice big monitor to edit well (I use a 32" 1080p)
--CRT TV on secondary video card output for seeing what it looks like on a CRT as people still have these.
--An assistant.
--WA lens
--Website & a GREAT host/server

The list goes on and on. If you want to get into weddings, it will take more than a camera, tripod, and a few other cool toys.

I agree with Brian Robertson.. it kills me when I hear of someone getting a camera and thinking they can jump into wedding production. Everyone has to start out somewhere and buying a cool "toy" will NOT make you more money. Period.

Ivan Mosny March 24th, 2008 12:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kevin Myhre (Post 835459)
Okay I have my a1 and a tripod. In a couple of months I have a wedding coming up and I'm already trying to figure out what to buy next.

There is only one way to make you films looks more profesionally. Good LIGHT.
You have to buy some good softlight kinoflo lamps.