DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xh-series-hdv-camcorders/)
-   -   Shoulder mount for A1 (or anything else) (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xh-series-hdv-camcorders/116098-shoulder-mount-a1-anything-else.html)

Jerome Cloninger March 1st, 2008 12:01 PM

Shoulder mount for A1 (or anything else)

I saw this mentioned in the Z7 thread... it works great! I got mine in today and played around with it. Will play with it more at a wedding today. The only thing I don't like about it is I can't comfortably use the viewfinder, but the LCD is in a great position.

Here is the mfr site: http://dynamicmotionvideo.com/

Product is the CB-105

I bought mine on Ebay from them... oh, its relatively cheap too! Only $65 + shipping! His ebay id is rlg64.

OH, I easilly attached a spare bogen 501 quick release plate adapter or whatever its called to allow easy removal just like glidecam and such.

John C Heid March 1st, 2008 12:29 PM

Hi Jerome,

That product looks good. I'll be interested in reading your feedback.

I bought the Tiffen Steady Stick SS3C:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...k_Compact.html.

This is another item I bought, expecting to use a lot, tried it once at home, and put it back in the box. It does what it says, however for shooting travel videos, I spend little time shooting and much more time walking, so it is easier to simply carry it.

Thanks!

John

Jerome Cloninger March 1st, 2008 12:39 PM

I bought this because of the benefits of shoulder mounting. Between this, my hands, tripod, and glidecam, I think I have enough stabilizers to suit my needs.....

One major reason I bought this is the simplicity and convenience. No straps, belts, or anything to hinder movement, operations, and the fact it "looks" better than most designs IMHO.

I wish I could post footage of the wedding I'll shoot tonight, but they bought the "don't use for promo" add-on. :) and :(

Can't wait to get the rainslicker!!! Thanks!

John C Heid March 1st, 2008 12:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jerome Cloninger (Post 835820)
I bought this because of the benefits of shoulder mounting. Between this, my hands, tripod, and glidecam, I think I have enough stabilizers to suit my needs.....

One major reason I bought this is the simplicity and convenience. No straps, belts, or anything to hinder movement, operations, and the fact it "looks" better than most designs IMHO.

I wish I could post footage of the wedding I'll shoot tonight, but they bought the "don't use for promo" add-on. :) and :(

Can't wait to get the rainslicker!!! Thanks!

Good luck with shooting the marital bliss tonight, Jerome!

You should receive the Rain Slicker mid week.

Thanks again,

John

Hubert Duijzer March 1st, 2008 02:55 PM

I saw it mentioned also and almost ordered one.
It looks good to me, but i was afraid it didn't balance properly with an shotgun and wideangle attached.
So, the question is, does it balance properly and how does this thing feel after an hour, or two, shooting? Is it easy to control the focus/iris ring/the zoomrocker etc.?
I'd like to see some footage and some pictures of the rig in action.

Les Wilson March 1st, 2008 05:59 PM

Having spent the day Saturday wandering the streets of Singapore's Chinatown, Arab-town and Malaysia-town, hopping into and out of a couple cabs and wading through crowds at open air markets, here's some thoughts on rigs. I don't do weddings so your mileage may vary.

I used a Spiderbrace and a Lowepro Street & Field harness with shock cords and carabiners to hook the brace (not the camera) onto the shoulder straps of the harness. When hands free, the brace rests flat on my chest with the shoulder arm pointing up and the two handles resting on my hips. This works sitting and standing. It looks wierd and you have to get used to the stares but all things considered, it's about as compact as an infant carriers.

With a small LANC controller on the handle, I can quickly draw the rig up to the shoulder or tuck the shoulder rest under the arm pit and shoot with the right hand on the camera handle and the left completely free to use the controls. the shock cords distribute the weight to my shoulder/back while the shoulder brace in the arm pit adds stability. If I want to, I can push the camera away from the body and have it strictly suspended by the shock cords.

The whole rig detaches with two carabiners and sits upright on the ground, table, or taxi seat.

CAVEAT. I've only had one day with the rig and I know some modifications I'll make when I get home. Fundamentally tho, I was pleased at how the rig takes the weight so my hands are free to operate the camera controls. LOVE THAT IRIS RING ON THE A1!!!

Jerome Cloninger March 1st, 2008 07:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hubert Duijzer (Post 835861)
I saw it mentioned also and almost ordered one.
It looks good to me, but i was afraid it didn't balance properly with an shotgun and wideangle attached.
So, the question is, does it balance properly and how does this thing feel after an hour, or two, shooting? Is it easy to control the focus/iris ring/the zoomrocker etc.?
I'd like to see some footage and some pictures of the rig in action.

I just got in from the ceremony only wedding. I used it on some establishing shots (not much to shoot because it was NOT decorated much)... The church nazi's only let me shoot from the balcony, so I left 1 cam up there and went down to the doors to the santuary during the last prayer. I zoomed in FULL to get the kiss and all the recessional with the shoulder mount. THEN I got a nice suprise, the B/G greeted EVERY row as they walked out... probably about 20 minutes of this. It was rather stable and I'm happy with it. ALL controls were easy to use and it wasn't ugly, nor cumbersome.

With the bogel quick release assembly attached it was a matter of removing from tripod and attaching to shoulder mount (what 15 seconds max till I had it on my shoulder???) It did feel like a shoulder mount camera--balanced well and was happy with it.

Now, if you need a WA lens, you'll probably need the optional weight that is on his site. It doesn't balance perfectly as it is just a tad front heavy, but I'm cool with that. With a WA lens and anything else, you'll need more weight in the back.

There is a video on the ebay page where he has them listed (in each listing) so check that out as it will show demo footage. I can't show footage from this wedding because they bought the "100% rights and not use as a promo" add-on. Weird, but added more profit :)

Here's his instructional video:
http://s82.photobucket.com/albums/j2...Lg_Prog001.flv

Robert Wide March 2nd, 2008 03:18 AM

Jerome,

I'm not able to find them on Ebay (via the links on their website), do you have a tip where I can find them. Looks great!

Robert

Jerome Cloninger March 2nd, 2008 09:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robert Wide (Post 836051)
Jerome,

I'm not able to find them on Ebay (via the links on their website), do you have a tip where I can find them. Looks great!

Robert

http://cgi.ebay.com/For-Panasonic-DV...QQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.com/For-Canon-GL1-GL...QQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.com/For-Sony-HVR-A1U...QQcmdZViewItem

IT doesn't matter what cameras he has them listed for.. its the same product.

Robert Wide March 2nd, 2008 01:11 PM

Thanks, these links worked well!

Julian Frost March 2nd, 2008 05:11 PM

I bought one!

Another impulse buy, but it looks better than many I've seen. Some have handles, which means you can't easily control the camera while holding them. I like the look of this, as it's balanced from the start. I'll post a review once I've had an opportunity to try it out. Sigh, first I bought the FireStore FS-C, now this!

T. Pham March 8th, 2008 12:09 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Uh,
using a monopod with swivel head, a belt, some belt buckles, and canon org shoulder strap, one can make body mount for A1.
Need fluid head?, unless your lumbar is out of fluid, lol, (limited panning thus)
:)

hahahaha, point is well taken, Jerome, lol.
The A1 is rests on the pod, stabilized by the shoulder strap and gravity. one doesn't have to "hold" the camera. lifting is easy by releasing the quick release buckle at the neck of the pod; also, pod rests on the belt by a loop,=>taking the system off the body is in split second.
Anyway, it wouldn't look as "pro" as brand name systems, lol.

Jerome Cloninger March 8th, 2008 12:16 AM

Doesn't that pole hurt?

David Chia March 8th, 2008 03:44 AM

I had a few supports on my XHA1 and I settled for the DVrig. The design is very good. It mounts the XHA1 infront of you and you can use the VF or LCD and the support is spring loaded It takes alot of weight off you.And the support goes to the side to your shoulder . This way it is position perfectly and I don't need to twist my body to fit the mount. The mount fits to my body.

I added a Lanc control to one of the handles for zoom and still have one hand for the focus . I can go and shoot with this for a few hours and no problems with my arm or shoulder.Tried it on a few weddings and I'm glad I have it.

I had the Manfrotto Fig Rig and it is good but you can't use it the hold day or let alone an hour. The Merlin is small and it holds up to about 3.kg. Which means that you might have a hard time balancing it when you add a BP 970 battery, mics ,rods ,matter box or even with the Canon WD-72 wide angle lens. You cannot use any of the and Lanc control on it. Pretty much auto mode with it.

I tried the cavision ones too. but the mono pod is not spring loaded and the design is too straight hence you twist your body abit to fit the rig.

Colin McDonald March 8th, 2008 04:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jerome Cloninger (Post 839079)
Doesn't that pole hurt?

Ha ha! Bet it attracts a few predictable comments from bystanders (no pun intended).

I've been using cheap tripods with (their) legs unextended as a brace when needed. The trick is to catch two of the legs in your belt as a sort of bipod.
OK, it doesn't look too sophisticated as the redundant third leg tends to stick out at the front and look a bit rude, but it's more comfortable and stable than a monopod. Also it can be lifted off in mid shot if necessary for instant emergency high angle shots when you notice some clot is about to walk between you and the subject. (Ever tried filming a Disney parade - as soon as it starts people swarm in front of your lens).

However, now that I'm using an A1 I'm looking for proper stabilisation too.