lavalier mics at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old March 3rd, 2008, 01:15 AM   #1
New Boot

lavalier mics

Hey everyone. After shooting some footage with my AT897 mounted on my A1 I think I need a lav option for sitdown interviews. Too much background noise getting picked up. How would you recommend setting up 2 people in an interview or scene? I'm considering picking up the Sennheiser EW100 ENG-G2 kit and am wondering what else I will need.

Thanks
Paul
Paul Czapiga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2008, 02:12 AM   #2
Major Player

If people are sitting for an interview you do not need radio transmitters for the microphones. Connecting the lavaliers straight to camera/recorder with cables gives better sound and no chance for RF intererence. I do not understand this enthusiasm for radio mics, radio connection is NEVER as good and reliable as plain mic cable! Only use radio when freedom of movement is paramount, or when you can afford Zaxcom 24bit digital transmitters... And for 2 people you need two sets, by the way.

I have a Sanken COS-11 and a matched stereo pair of DPA 4060. Great mics, COS-11 is smaller and easier to hide, DPAs can be used also as normal omnis.

Last edited by Petri Kaipiainen; March 3rd, 2008 at 05:24 AM.
Petri Kaipiainen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2008, 04:46 AM   #3
Trustee

Petri, Having both the Sanken and the DPA, how would you compare their sounds?

Thanks MUCH.
Peter Moretti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2008, 05:36 AM   #4
Major Player

Tough to say, COS-11 might be slightly better as a lavalier, smaller, can take sweat, slight bass roll-off, really accurate. DPAs sound fuller and they have adjustable treble peaking with interchacable high boost grid when needed. I would say maybe I prefer DPA, but if concealment is paramount then COS-11. I like DPAs for their multifunctionality, close recording instruments, stealth style ambience recording, a bit more hi-fi could I say.

Only sound, not size etc.: DPA 9 points, COS-11 8.6 points...
Old March 3rd, 2008, 09:12 AM   #5
Wrangler

Agree, for sit down interviews, use wired mics. Lav, unless you want to use a mic as a prop. All mics should be close (within a couple feed) to the person speaking, even shotguns.

What you need to spend depends on the venue, your project budget, and the quality you need.
Old March 3rd, 2008, 09:24 AM   #6
Regular Crew

Paul,

I agree that you should always use hard-wired mics unless you have to use a wireless mic. I use Sony ECM-77B mics for interviews. They sound great and the mic is very small. The mic can run off of phantom power or a AA battery.
Troy Teuscher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2008, 11:14 AM   #7
Contributor

Using the shotgun mic mounted on the camera is never going to get you good interview sound unless the camera is no more than 3 feet in front of the person and he is speaking directly into it. You need a boom of some sort to position the mic properly (in most cases just over the subject's head, pointed down at his chest, slightly in front of him). I use a fishpole, shock mount, and when there's no soundman, I mount the pole on a C-stand using one of those u-shaped boom mounts. I also have a Mafer clamp I can mount to a light stand and mount the fishpole that way if I don't have a C-stand handy.

For a lav I generally use the Sennheiser G2 wireless setup and it's very good for the money. If you can spend a little more and get a better mic than the one that comes with it, that would be good. I also have a couple of very old Sennheiser wired lavs, and they're better. However, I only use a lav when I have to.
Bill Pryor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2008, 04:46 PM   #8
New Boot

Thanks very much for all the info. The subject of these interviews has 5 young children so background noise is an issue. I'm thinking a lav might minimize this issue during sit-down interviews. This is just one scenario though and although my budget is limited I want to be ready for anything. Looks like I have some more research to do.

Thanks
Paul
Old March 7th, 2008, 12:47 AM   #9
New Boot

I've been reading up on mics and was wondering if you guys can help me out with a few more things. (Please excuse my lack of knowledge here, I've filled in as sound operator on a couple shoots but this is my first set of sound equipment)

A dealer told me that the Sanken COS-11 has been discontinued. Would you buy this mic if it was still available somewhere?

Connectors--please explain. Are there options for the A1?

Anyone have any experience with Countryman mics?

Thanks again
Old March 7th, 2008, 02:51 AM   #10
Major Player

COS-11s is the name, why would the stop making one of the most popular and highly regarded lavaliersin film business???? Ask somewhere else.
Old March 7th, 2008, 08:59 AM   #11
Major Player

Hi Paul

I made the same mistake of thinking that lavaliers had to be wireless and bought the G2.

It has been very useful once or twice but not for static interviews.

I currently use a DPA 4061 as a Lavalier together with a boom mic.

For the boom mic I have a Sanken CS3-e in my kit. It's a very good shotgun mic.

However for quietish indoor interviews I have recently been hiring a Schoeps CMC5 MK4. I love the sound of this mic. It's seems very open and natural.

It's better than a shotgun if your subject moves around when they are talking as the pattern is wider and they don't go off-mic so easily.

By the way I mount the pole on a lighting stand using a device made in the UK called a boom buddy.

I use two mics as insurance and to give a choice of sound. So far I have selected the Schoeps track every time when editing.
Richard Gooderick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2008, 03:08 AM   #12
Regular Crew

The Countryman is on a par with the Sanken- sounds good and is very small and good for hiding.
Old May 6th, 2008, 02:24 PM   #13
New Boot

Just wanted to ask once more here before buying a lav mic. I'm leaning toward the Sanken COS-11x mostly because of its reputation. But the Countryman B3 costs half as much... Was also wondering what you guys would recommend, phantom or battery power? Thanks
Old May 13th, 2008, 07:16 PM   #14
Regular Crew

I just got the Azden 320 series wireless from BH Photo and I think it's great. I've used it for several interviews already and the sound is super clear. Haven't tested the wireless over a huge distance yet. I went wireless because I find using cables a hassle especially if I want to move the camera to get a different angle during the shoot. With 240 channels I have not experienced a problem with any RFI. My last conference I was at had several different Sennheiser wireless mic systems running in various rooms in close proximity with no issue.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...icrophone.html
David Thanh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2008, 07:57 PM   #15
Major Player

Paul,

I've had good results with more modest fare. I use an AT-35S with a 20' cord straight to the camera or Zoom H2 ($25) or an AT-88W wireless ($120) when mobility is needed. The wireless system sounds surprisingly good if you stay within 30' and away from fluorescent lamps and other sources of interference. I can afford to lose or break either of these and not cry too long, but thankfully haven't lost one yet. I use a noise gates to manage background or mic noise, when necessary.

I'm a serious hobbyist (read not pro), so I'm not risking an interview with Vladimir Putin or anything. Even so, the sound is solid with this hardware.
Roger Shealy is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders