First time with the A1 and Music Video at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old March 3rd, 2008, 09:34 AM   #1
New Boot

First time with the A1 and Music Video

This clip I shot when I took out the Canon out the box. I absolutely had no clue about how to use the camera or basic functions like exposure lock etc... I not knowing imported the video at 720x480 interlaced when I taped at 1080 24p.
I've seen many people say it's impossible to get any DOF with a video camera and after checking out some of the amazing stuff here I wanted to see for myself, my only previous camera experience is with a $200 Panasonic which I love!

http://www.tunah.com/canontest1.html

And this is a video that I'm working on for my band

http://www.tunah.com/all-good-rough.html

Comments are much appretiated...

Last edited by Ramon Nova; March 4th, 2008 at 02:59 AM.
Ramon Nova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2008, 02:47 PM   #2
New Boot

comments?

http://www.myspace.com/pachamassive

Last edited by Ramon Nova; March 4th, 2008 at 10:15 PM.
Old March 5th, 2008, 12:40 PM   #3
Major Player

Hey don't work on it too much more, it's awesome. Really good stuff. Curious musically about the intro. The beat and the conga seemed to be at different tempos. Can you explain why you did that, and what your influence is for that type of sound? I like the music alot too btw. That girl is BEAUTIFUL! Good work
Bill
Bill Grant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2008, 01:54 PM   #4
Regular Crew

good music

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramon Nova View Post
wonderful band and good music. The video is realistic and full of joy. Coloured images and fast transitions.
Luca Ghione is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2008, 04:39 PM   #5
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Grant View Post
Hey don't work on it too much more, it's awesome. Really good stuff. Curious musically about the intro. The beat and the conga seemed to be at different tempos. Can you explain why you did that, and what your influence is for that type of sound? I like the music alot too btw. That girl is BEAUTIFUL! Good work
Bill
Hey thanks Bill!

the intro of the song you can see it as a 3/4 percussion rhythm at a tempo of 285 bpm over 4/4 at 95 bpm which is the tempo of the song, 95x3=285. you can also see it as a triplet per quarter note at 95 bpm which is how I feel it. also the delay on the clavinet has a swing to it which also adds to the syncopation.

as far as influences I was lucky to be exposed to a lot of percussion as kid, and I've always loved traditional music from all over the planet which has a lot of interesting syncopation and polyrythms

most important, it is human to be biased and reject things for no good reason a lot of the time, but I really try to make an effort to listen to music as I used to when I was a kid, without judgement. we're influenced by even that which we insist don't like, wether we want it or not, so I try to take it all in and absorb it discard the garbage and take what's useful... that way instead of creating an unnecessary reaction when I listen, it just becomes part of my perspective in general.

and also important when we seat to make music we try to maintain a punk attitude... screw everything you think you know, screw how something is supposed to be, screw theory, screw trying to take a song in one direction or another and just make music. an I really mean try because it's impossible to not gravitate towards all kinds of preconceptions.

that's the mentality we try to have when making music, which for me comes a lot from how people like Hendrix and Bruce Lee worked, which isn't something you can probably hear directly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luca Ghione View Post
wonderful band and good music. The video is realistic and full of joy. Coloured images and fast transitions.

Hey Luca glad you guys like the music! we're trying to communicate something positive, we had a guy doing the video at first and it was dark which is not what the song is about, when he was unwilling to take our thoughts into account we convinced the label to give us the money to get the Canon, which I decided on based on what I've seen in this forum... I love this camera perfect for traveling compact and powerful!

the video is going to be broadcasted on mtv and a bunch of networks globally so don't be nice and criticize, everything is helpful!

Thanks again!
Old March 9th, 2008, 12:00 AM   #6
Major Player

Quote:
And this is a video that I'm working on for my band http://www.tunah.com/all-good-rough.html
What's with the conga's during the intro? The rhythmic pattern didn't work for me :). I thought maybe it was something added to the edit & the sync got fudged up or something, then I listened again & it is consistent... but I still think another pattern would have worked better.

Ok so this isn't a music forum :) Only making a comment.

Nice stuff all around though.
Bill Busby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2008, 11:12 AM   #7
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Busby View Post
What's with the conga's during the intro? The rhythmic pattern didn't work for me :). I thought maybe it was something added to the edit & the sync got fudged up or something, then I listened again & it is consistent... but I still think another pattern would have worked better.

Ok so this isn't a music forum :) Only making a comment.

Nice stuff all around though.

hey man thanks! if you notice the same extact percussion rythm is throughout the choruses as well but you get anchored by the kick and snare on the downbeats and suddenly the complicated rythm you hear in the intro makes sense for some. if you want to check for a fact if it works or not just put it up on you DAW with a click at 95 bpm and see if it lines up... I could post an example here but this isn't a music forum.

it's just a shuffle guys.. nothing complicated... just count 1,2,3, for every quarter note, do the math it works technically, but I could give 2 hoots about technic... it feels right, very common in African music... it seems to work for a lot of folks though 'cause we're actually recouping and getting royalty checks from sales only a year after the release.

if you guys really want to go for a trip go to our myspace and listen to "La Verdolaga" it's a Bembe rythm another one of those 3/4- shuffle etc... on top of a frenetic Drum 'n Bass that kind of goes into Square Pusher territory at times... if you think the intro on the video track is crazy I want to know what you guyst think of this one :)

I really apprettiate your comment! if you guys have music to share please do!
Old March 9th, 2008, 11:37 AM   #8
Major Player

Ramon, I suppose my observation just came from being an ex-percussionist & just an all around music critic to begin with, ha! For me, I would have given it a different feel... like you said, the tune has a shuffle feel... but that conga pattern wasn't "shufflin' " :) It seemed too straight forward... like a metronome... doo doo, dee dee... doo doo, dee dee. Maybe I just can't hear any shuffled accents or something.

Anyway though, like I said. Good job.
Old March 9th, 2008, 02:33 PM   #9
New Boot

Quote:
Ramon, I suppose my observation just came from being an ex-percussionist & just an all around music critic to begin with, ha! For me, I would have given it a different feel... like you said, the tune has a shuffle feel... but that conga pattern wasn't "shufflin' " :) It seemed too straight forward... like a metronome... doo doo, dee dee... doo doo, dee dee. Maybe I just can't hear any shuffled accents or something.

Anyway though, like I said. Good job.

Got you Bill, I can see what you're saying. now I'm curious to see what you would have played or suggested instead!

now, I know the video is not that good for there to be no comment about it?

Thanks again!
Old March 10th, 2008, 01:11 PM   #10
Regular Crew

Im diggin it!

Dude, Im diggin' that "Dont Let Go Jam", always love to see some of my latino brethren getting down!

Video is cool, definitely has some positive vibes. Keep up the good work.

Peace and Blessings,
Hidalgo
Danny Hidalgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2008, 01:23 PM   #11
Major Player

Ramon,

Well some of your music is really nice. I can't talk technical music and found your posts here about the technique behind music very enlightening even though most of it way above my head (I wish I understood it all though).

On your DOF test aspect:
When you socus on something really close then yes any camera/lens will give you the sense of depth as compared to things further in the distance.

However, DOF (depth of field), or what we normally mean in this context is shallow DOF. The basic need to get a shallow depth of field for subjects at normal viewing distance. For example if you place two subjects at about 15-20 feet away from the camera where one subject is lats say 20 feet away and the other is 22 feet way.

With most video cameras the depth of field (or the depth/range of acceptable focus) is such that both subjects will appear to be in acceptable focus (in this case). So if you tried this test you'll see what people mean. Ideally we're looking for the situation where the viewer can clearly see which of the two subjects is in focus.

Shiv.
Old March 10th, 2008, 02:13 PM   #12
Major Player

Quote:
now I'm curious to see what you would have played or suggested instead!
I wish! I would if I could, but I haven't had gear for nearly 15 or 20 years. :-\
Old March 12th, 2008, 09:11 AM   #13
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiv Kumar View Post
Ramon,

Well some of your music is really nice. I can't talk technical music and found your posts here about the technique behind music very enlightening even though most of it way above my head (I wish I understood it all though).

On your DOF test aspect:
When you socus on something really close then yes any camera/lens will give you the sense of depth as compared to things further in the distance.

However, DOF (depth of field), or what we normally mean in this context is shallow DOF. The basic need to get a shallow depth of field for subjects at normal viewing distance. For example if you place two subjects at about 15-20 feet away from the camera where one subject is lats say 20 feet away and the other is 22 feet way.

With most video cameras the depth of field (or the depth/range of acceptable focus) is such that both subjects will appear to be in acceptable focus (in this case). So if you tried this test you'll see what people mean. Ideally we're looking for the situation where the viewer can clearly see which of the two subjects is in focus.

Shiv.
Hey Shiv thanks for the info, I understand but still I think you can get some pretty nice shots with the A1 as is, I found if I stand far enough and zoom in the DOF gets shallower, eventually I'm planning on getting a 35mm adapter though... hopefully when we start working the next record.
do you have any recommendations in terms of lens specs and reasonable price range? would a 17-85mm lens be an ok choice? and also checked out some of your work - good stuff- what's your workflow, do you use any custom settings on the camera(vividrgb seem the most popular) and do you do anything in post to the footage?

Thanks.
Old March 12th, 2008, 09:15 AM   #14
New Boot

Quote:
I wish! I would if I could, but I haven't had gear for nearly 15 or 20 years. :-\
is always good to have even a little bongo around the house, is good therapy! specially since you used to play percussion :)
Old March 12th, 2008, 09:20 AM   #15
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny Hidalgo View Post
Dude, Im diggin' that "Dont Let Go Jam", always love to see some of my latino brethren getting down!

Video is cool, definitely has some positive vibes. Keep up the good work.

Peace and Blessings,
Hidalgo
hey Danny happy you dig the song, that song has done good for us... it's been on film and tv and is also on the FIFA 2008 video game, which I have to get a copy of. come check us out if we're by your area!
Ramon Nova is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders