any good books on the XH-A out there??? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old March 4th, 2008, 12:43 PM   #1
New Boot

any good books on the XH-A out there???

I'm looking for a good book on how to use the XH-A1 not just where the buttons are but how and when to use them properly. and if thier are any good books on how to shoot in HDV. I have the vasst video but I want a book that tells you when and when not to use a function or how to use a function. any input ?
Brian Duddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2008, 04:40 PM   #2
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Duddy View Post
I'm looking for a good book on how to use the XH-A1 not just where the buttons are but how and when to use them properly. and if thier are any good books on how to shoot in HDV. I have the vasst video but I want a book that tells you when and when not to use a function or how to use a function. any input ?
There aren't enough features specific to the XH-A1 to warrant its own book. It's similar to other cameras.

Last edited by Daniel Browning; March 4th, 2008 at 04:41 PM. Reason: Rephrase.
Daniel Browning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2008, 01:58 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Hi Daniel,

Try this one: http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthrea...ight=DVD+Vasst

Regards,

Robert
Old March 9th, 2008, 02:10 PM   #4
New Boot

ok let me say it this way. Is their any book on the market that teaches one how to properly shoot in HD and how to set up the camera in general for differnt shooting situations (outdoors, in low light,indoors ect) is their such a book that explains some therory? The xh-a1 has been out a while and I cant beleve their isnt a book for it. The manual is very poorly written for a beginer and doesnt explain when to use the functions.. . . somebody help meh!
Old March 9th, 2008, 02:24 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Brian Vasst do a dvd called inside the canon XHA1 that is supposed to be the bees knees look it up you may be interestsed.

Alan
Alan Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2008, 02:57 PM   #6
New Boot

Hi alan I have the dvd. but it doesnt really tell you how to set up the camera for differnt enviorments but it does show how to set up and adjust for color. I need to know how to approch setting up things such as gain ,shutter speed, aperture. under which condtitions do i use what and when. or is it more like just fiddle with everthing until you get what you like? thanks for the input.
Old March 10th, 2008, 02:38 AM   #7
Regular Crew

Hi Brian,

I am also a newbie so I can relate to where you are coming from. My routine at the moment to set up a shot, based on advice from a couple of professionals I know, is White Balance, Exposure, Framing, Focus, Audio.

The following UK site has some clear instructions which, although not for the XH A1, should be what you are looking for:

http://www.urbanfox.tv/workbooks/sonyz1/index.htm

The Camera Workbooks and Creative Stuff links on the bottom of that page are also really useful.

If you want to email me, I will send you more specific step by step instructions for each of the items on my routine as they are too long to post here.

Colin
Colin Reid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2008, 03:26 AM   #8
Major Player

That looks like a good site. I've read through it, and it clarified a few points for me (eg peaking). The various buttons are obviously arranged differently on the XH A1, but the principles are the same.
Annie Haycock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2008, 10:15 AM   #9
New Boot

Hey Colin Thank you for the link. That will help me a great deal. If anyone has some more info I'm up for some more. thanks to all

Brian Duddy,
Old March 13th, 2008, 11:31 AM   #10
Regular Crew

More Links

Brian,

This first link is to another thread I opened. Tom Vandas has put a couple of links on it which might also be useful to you.

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=116819

This next link is to a charity website. I should mention I am not associated with this website, I just found it when I was doing my own search for stuff which would help me understand what I needed to do beyond learning how the camera worked. They apparently encourage their members to make videos about the issues that concern them. To that end they have a "video camera training page" which has 9 short video clips demonstrating the basics of camera work, some of which seems like good value for anyone, who like me, is new to video.

http://www.ejfoundation.org/page78.html

Colin

Last edited by Colin Reid; March 13th, 2008 at 03:29 PM. Reason: insert missing words and clarify entry
Colin Reid is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders