DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xh-series-hdv-camcorders/)
-   -   Xh-A1 and Headphones (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xh-series-hdv-camcorders/116706-xh-a1-headphones.html)

Reggie Giles March 10th, 2008 02:43 PM

Xh-A1 and Headphones

Hi All,

I was at a shoot for a short film this weekend and noticed that the cinematographers had headphones hooked into their cameras. They said they were listening for excess background noises such as the AC and other undesirable ambient sound (we were in a fairly large warehouse-like building that was actually being used as nightclub).

What has been you all's experience? Do you typically use the headphones like that? If so, is there a good set that you can recommend, or is any decent set off the shelf good enough?

Sorry for the ultra-newb question...

Thanks,
Reggie

Bryan Gilchrist March 10th, 2008 03:24 PM

Sony MDR-V6 Monitor Series Headphones

I had a pair of those for about ten years, recently replaced them because they were so old, but I bought another of the same pair to replace the old ones. I love em.

They were around $75 with free shipping when I got them on Amazon a few months back.

Here's a link:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00001WRSJ

Reggie Giles March 10th, 2008 03:37 PM

Wow.

Thanks, Bryan.

Talk about glowing reviews...Kinda hard to NOT buy these.

Evan C. King March 10th, 2008 05:54 PM

The pro version seen on film sets all around are the MDR-7506. I've used both but I've never spent the time to compared the two so I have no idea if they sound different.

Petri Kaipiainen March 11th, 2008 01:11 AM

Somebody should always listen to the camera audio, either the camera operator or sound person with return cable from camera to mixer. Just to make sure it a) recirds somethong, b) sounds like it should

Sony MDR-7506 indeed is the industry standard.

Phil Kay March 11th, 2008 02:25 AM

I've always used the Sennheiser HD-25/1 headphones,I'm now on my 3rd pair! The Sony 7506 are truely excellent piece of kit,however I found them too uncomfortable for long-term use(I have a very strange shaped head perhaps?!)

Doug Lange March 11th, 2008 03:46 AM

Sony MDR-7506.
Being monitor headphones, their response is flatter than your average off-the-shelf variety. Average headphones also tend to boost the bass, add "presence" or whatever which colors the sound. A-B test monitor headphones and your favorite pair of off-the-shelf headphones and you will know the difference. You may like the "sound" of the off-the-shelf headphones better. But the monitor headphones are a more accurate representation of the signal coming through the mic.

I've had mine for 11 or 12 years. I'm just a hack but I always bring them along. It's interesting how your brain can filter out the noise, reverb, etc. you hear when you are standing in a room. But as soon as I listen through my headphones, the noise stands out loud and clear.

You will also find out if you have any wind noise with headphones. I was in a large room, getting ready to shoot, when I heard wind noise through my headphones. I looked around wondering where the wind was coming from since there were no windows and the doors were closed. When I looked up, I noticed a large ventilation duct blowing directly on my mic. I never would have caught the problem without my headphones.

Brian Seguin March 11th, 2008 05:06 PM

Headsets

Whatever you do don't buy an "open-air" type headset like the Sennheiser HD-465. I tried to use them when videotaping a band -- in front of the main speakers -- couldn't hear myself think, let alone tell if there was good sound. Second camera unit loaned me a closed set, which provided much better isolation of external sound.

Scott Gold March 11th, 2008 09:17 PM

MDR-7506, indeed. I've had these for over 4 years and absolutely love them.
It's amazing how you can hear everything with these.

Doug Lange March 11th, 2008 11:58 PM

"MDR-7506, indeed. I've had these for over 4 years and absolutely love them.
It's amazing how you can hear everything with these."

I hear too much when listening to an orchestral recording. It's distracting to hear the bows clanking on the music stands and the clunking of the trumpet mutes when tipped over. Of course, it all goes away as soon as I exchange my 7506's for earbuds or listen through speakers.

Loren Simons March 12th, 2008 12:11 AM

i have a set of bose, http://www.bose.com/controller?event...adphones_index

does anyone like them? I mean i usually use the in ear bose cus i've usually got them for my ipod, and the ones above are my dad's. but i mean, come on bose =)

Doug Lange March 12th, 2008 03:24 AM

Bose makes great products. They are not reference monitor headphones, though. It is not as much a matter of quality of construction as it is the purpose of construction. Speaking of construction...

Let's use a hammer as an example. Grab a hammer, pound nails. However, if you use the wrong hammer, the end product may not be as good or will be more difficult to complete. A framing hammer is heavy, has a long handle and has a waffle pattern on the head. Use it to trim a room with baseboard and you will get ugly waffle patterns in your oak trim. A smaller hammer with a smooth head will keep that oak looking great.

Same rule applies for other tools including headphones. If you want to hear everything the mic picks up as the mic "hears" it, use reference monitor headphones.

Andris Krastins March 12th, 2008 09:45 AM

I've been using Sennheiser HD 280 Pro headphones and I love them!
As I understand they are made for monitoring applications.

http://www.amazon.com/Sennheiser-HD-.../dp/B000065BPB

Ken Wozniak March 12th, 2008 07:13 PM

Sound and comfort are very subjective - especially if you have a strangely shaped head (just kidding, Phil Kay!) For me, however, at about $100 US, the Sony MDR-7506 can't be beat.

I've had mine forever and use them for everything that requires wearing headphones.

Pros: Neutral, true-to-life sound. Great isolation. Comfortable for me. Standard and mini-plug. Can take a beating...well, except the ear pads.

Cons: After several years of abuse, the earpads will probably need to be replaced (I'm on my third set). I do not like the coiled cord.

If I remember right, I think the pads are about $20 US direct from Sony.

Reggie Giles March 19th, 2008 09:05 AM

Thanks for all of the input, guys.