Why not make our own camera technique training clips? Can you help? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old March 15th, 2008, 01:15 AM   #16
Regular Crew

Hi Peter, Doug and Tom, (and everyone else who takes the time to read this),

Peter's suggested subjects sound good, so consider them added to the list.

Doug's suggested 5 minute length sounds about right, except for those subjects that really do need more than that to do them justice.

Tom's idea of linked pdf's or powerpoint may be a good idea but I think that there simply aren't going to be volunteers with both the video making and other skills needed to do this.

I think we could leave the subject list open for one more week and then put another call out for volunteers to get the process underway.

Colin
Colin Reid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2008, 03:22 AM   #17
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin Reid View Post
Composition - could include basic rules, plus how to add relevant atmosphere using camera positioning, etc. - One volunteer? (perhaps the volunteer who did this could also shoot five second samples of standard shots such as extreme close-up, close-up, etc?
Charles Papert has explained the different terms for framing/composition in this thread:
http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthrea...hlight=framing
Might be helpful for the person doing the composition tutorial.
Trond Saetre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2008, 07:31 AM   #18
Regular Crew

BINGO! This is a plan I have for a long time to make on my Dutch Website about the XH-A1.

As I was browsing around on the DV(i) forum I discovered this topic and I am offering my help.

Hartelijke groeten,

Gert
Old March 19th, 2008, 08:40 AM   #19
Regular Crew

!

Hey Everyone,

Just noticed this thread. Sounds like a great idea!

I'd love to contribute in any way I can. However, like everyone else, I have an extremely busy schedule.

Just from combing through the posts I saw there was a need for a summarized .PDF created for each tutorial. I could easily do that in an organized fashion, screenshots and bulleted lists. It takes no time at all.

Also, the topic is about 'camera technique training clips'. I just recently created an 'Indie' training technique that might prove useful to this series ( even more so if expanded from 2 minutes to 5 minutes). Here it is:
http://dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=117204

John
John Lofton IV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2008, 10:37 AM   #20
Regular Crew

Hi Gert and John,

Thank you both for volunteering.

Gert, once the basics are in place I shall call for volunteers to select the subject they want to do, so just keep an eye on this thread until then.

John, it would be great if you could do a standardised pdf showing the basics of what we want for each of the subjects so far listed in this thread. That way the clips would all follow the same approach and would ensure that there was basic guidance for our volunteers. It might be easier if we work this out off thread so as not to clog it up with humdrum detail, so please email me.

Looking forward to working with you.

Colin
Old March 19th, 2008, 10:43 AM   #21
Obstreperous Rex

Believe it best to work it out online right here -- after all that's what the board is for! Thanks in advance,

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2008, 11:31 AM   #22
Major Player

Hey, Would love to help with the project if it gets off the ground and do what I can to help it do that. I can help with additional hosting but also encoding and setting up of a flash player with play lists and such. I also have setup my server to allow uploading of files via a simple PHP scripts of up to 100MB. If Mr. Hurd wants to discuss the mods that allow this fun stuff I would be happy to.
Josh Chesarek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2008, 11:40 AM   #23
Regular Crew

Hi Chris,

Thats fine. I just thought a whole string of posts about what to include in the pdf might detract from what we are trying to do, when it comes to other members reading the thread about the actual training clips.

By the way, what's the situation with being able to upload clips to this site?

Colin
Old March 19th, 2008, 07:45 PM   #24
Obstreperous Rex

For right now just contact me by email (chris at dvinfo dot net) for the FTP upload account info. We're about to expand the site significantly to allow clip hosting; the Flash encoder package I'm looking at is not cheap (for me that is; it'll be a free service to share video here) but it will be HD and it'll be the same tech used by another popular sharing site (not Youtube but much better).

I've been contacted by some other video sharing services about partnering on this and I still need to get those emails out, but this hosting project will be in-house and hosted on DV Info Net's servers and carrying our brand (it has to be as I want to keep everything under one roof and accessible to all our members). It's the next big step for DV Info Net which I've been wanting to implement for quite awhile and it's time to make it happen.

Meanwhile I think the discussions about how to shape these tutorials should remain as open and public as possible. That way it's more of a community effort.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders