TrueColor configuration for XH A1 - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old March 17th, 2008, 07:49 PM   #16
Major Player

Doug, we'll throw up an HV20 grab on the scope so you can compare to Paolo's XH-A1 preset.
Dennis Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2008, 09:35 PM   #17
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Busby View Post
Manual WB made whites seem a tad blue. .
Bill, check your WB again and the settings, there is no blue cast in TC, it's made to be as neutral as possible.

Let me know...
Old March 17th, 2008, 09:41 PM   #18
Trustee

Hey Dennis, thank you for creating the config file, I bet people will appreciate it.
Quote:
Paolo, here's what it looks like from the Ambi2: http://www.cinevate.com/images/trucolor.jpg
Boy, that looks dead-on to me. Colors are in the right place, the WFM is perfectly balanced.
Regarding the test to check the range, I discussed this with bot David Corley and Scott Billups some time ago and the suggestion that I was given was basically to light the chart evenly and start closing the iris counting the stops and check on a good monitor until all the detail is gone.
Old March 17th, 2008, 09:42 PM   #19
Trustee

To all of you who posted about TC, thank you for the appreciation, I'm glad that the scene file is useful.
Happy shooting!
Old March 18th, 2008, 09:43 AM   #20
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Lange View Post
Thanks for the fabulous preset. It's CP1 on my cam! This preset greatly improves the issues I've had with the my XH A1. The image is more natural and will cut better with with other cams. I found it perplexing that the HV20 seemed to have better color than my XH A1.

Bill may have something with the image being a little cool. However, I was only looking through the LCD, so I don't expect all the blue hues to be exact on it. I'd rely on a scope more than what my eye sees on the built in LCD.
I'm noticing the same, the image seem to have a little bit of blue.
Alain Mayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2008, 12:14 PM   #21
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alain Mayo View Post
Each camera can be slightly different and the way the color matrix responds can be different. Please double check the values, there was absolutely no blue cast in my tests but if that's the case with your camera than the only solution is to calibrate it.
Old March 18th, 2008, 01:56 PM   #22
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paolo Ciccone View Post
Each camera can be slightly different and the way the color matrix responds can be different. Please double check the values, there was absolutely no blue cast in my tests but if that's the case with your camera than the only solution is to calibrate it.
ok, thanks
Alain Mayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2008, 03:40 PM   #23
Go Cycle

Put me on the list. A slight BLUE cast. I adjusted the setup and gamma to make it more light sensitive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alain Mayo View Post
Old March 18th, 2008, 04:04 PM   #24
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Wood View Post

BTW, here's the preset file "TRUCOLOR": http://www.cinevate.com/images/PRESET19.CPF
I appreciate you taking the time to compile and post this preset file. While I was looking at these settings I noticed that a few things looked different. The values for GRM and GBM in the above preset file were -12 and 1, rather than 6 and 0 as shown on Paolo Ciccone's page. Were these changes a tweak for something?

Last edited by Christopher Neville; March 18th, 2008 at 04:16 PM. Reason: I came off sounding kind of like a tool the first post
Christopher Neville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2008, 08:13 PM   #25
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher Neville View Post
I appreciate you taking the time to compile and post this preset file. While I was looking at these settings I noticed that a few things looked different. The values for GRM and GBM in the above preset file were -12 and 1, rather than 6 and 0 as shown on Paolo Ciccone's page. Were these changes a tweak for something?

Yeah on the site it says 6 and 0...could that be the reason for the blue cast?
I followed the exact settings from Paolo Ciccone's page. Here it is. Of course you must rename the file. Let me know if it is any better.
Attached Files
File Type: cpf TrueColor.CPF (40 Bytes, 997 views)

Last edited by Taj Jackson; March 18th, 2008 at 08:25 PM. Reason: Changed file... Thanks Chris
Taj Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2008, 08:20 PM   #26
Obstreperous Rex

You can upload .CPF files as attachments here... no need to zip them.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2008, 02:02 AM   #27
Major Player

That cpf error was a typo on my part...it's fixed, same url. Sorry about that Paolo. I'll try the stopping down method and see how that compares to just setting white at 100 IRE and reading steps off the wfm.

Cheers,
Dennis.
Dennis Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2008, 12:10 PM   #28
Trustee

No problem Dennis, thanks again for taking the time to set the file. There are many parameters and those tiny menus in the cameras are so crammed that anybody can introduce a typo.
Old March 19th, 2008, 01:10 PM   #29
Regular Crew

Interesting approach, which looks very similar to the experiments Wolfgang Winne did perform in Germany (www.fxsupport.de). He also used vectorscopes and other electronic equipment to develop a number of presets. Purely looking at the parameters, hard to find any similarity between both approaches - which I theoretically should expect, to certain extend in the pure color settings & matrices.

What I question a bit, is the theory about sharpness. A complicated discussion, since nobody knows the real internal processing of the A1 (how can we say that a camera is not good in sharpening, while we hardly knowing it's really doing it?), and secondly, there's also a lot of subjective feeling in it. There's according to me no defense regarding projection of footage, as a lot of project systems tend to soften the focus anyhow. Going to the most blurry setting in this camera looks very challenging to me, and I hope that everyone in this thread realizes this is truely happening in this setting.

Let me put it as such: I personaly would never dare to go that far, risking to return with too unsharp footage, but again, it's a personal choice.

I also read something about the dynamic range of the A1 versus the JVC (which should be less), to be honest: the CCD's and circuits are almost identical to the H1, which is a standard in his level of camera's. All camera's are different, and I've never been working with JVC, but it would surprise me that its footage would overclass the A1's or H1's in this quality aspect.

Back to the preset, this is called 'trucolor' after all. And at first glance, the colors look quite neutral, a bit more then WW's preset. I must say, I've been filming a while with Wolfgang's settings, but left this approach after a few movies.

With a clear pitch towards filmic settings, and with also a lot of respect to the searchers for the perfect neutral preset, I doubt this is really the aim of most A1 users. This was exactly the reason why I dropped earlier Wolfgang's presets, and wouldn't use this one either as my favorite: it looks a bit like shooting with an old VX or PD, without any filmic appliance at all (don't take this as an offense, it's again a subjective issue)

My preference: still, it's in the original DV Info preset list: nr2, ACPREF. With a little color exageration but nice cine tonal balance, sharp, crisp footage without blowing out the entire color balance. I never had any bad comment on it, surely not regarding problems with the sharpness ;-).

You can tune a music instrument as well with a lot of electronic stuff, but when it's done with the bare ear, you will surely come to a somewhat deviating, interesting result. A little bit, like this, isn't operating of the A1 a bit like playing on a violin?

Last edited by Dirk Bouwen; March 19th, 2008 at 01:42 PM.
Dirk Bouwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2008, 01:59 PM   #30
Major Player

I'm looking forward to trying this preset.

One thing -- I have found that turning the Master Pedestal down to -9 actually clips out some black areas (as in, I can't pull that information back up at all).

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders