DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xh-series-hdv-camcorders/)
-   -   XH A1 Does not show up in Vista (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xh-series-hdv-camcorders/117011-xh-a1-does-not-show-up-vista.html)

Brian Overman March 14th, 2008 07:51 PM

XH A1 Does not show up in Vista

Has anyone resolved this problem yet?
I plug my XH A1 into a working ieee1394 port and nothing happens, no "ding" and look for driver software, no device under device manager (except the IEEE host controller).
I have tried SD, HD, Auto, Downconvert, etc. No luck on anything yet? Windows Vista Home Premium.

Is the only solution really to go back to XP?

I don't even have XP, and can't use some of my CS3 on it (After Effects, etc. gives me problems on XP).

Anybody think of anything I can try?

Tom Roper March 14th, 2008 08:36 PM

Are you turning on the cam power, setting the dial on VCR?

I have used the XH-A1 with Windows XP, and now with Vista Home Premium, no problem, no difference.

Windows may not report a problem with IEEE1394, but you should look closely at the connector on the PC side. I did once have a connection problem caused by bent pins there.

Alan Craig March 15th, 2008 02:01 AM

Brian I don't know what you are doing wrong but my XHA1 shows up straight away in vista I am using a Toshiba Satelite X200 S-20.
My NLE is Pinnacle Studio 11 not that it should make any difference because your computer should automatically see your cam without running any software.

Alan

Roy Feldman March 16th, 2008 05:08 AM

Vista

try a copy of HDV split

Sean Evans March 16th, 2008 02:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Roy Feldman (Post 843224)
try a copy of HDV split

This is what I use now. When I first connected my A1 to Vista Business on my Lenovo T60p, it recognized the device but it failed every attempt to install the driver. Apparently, said driver doesn't actually exist anywhere.

I gave up trying to make it work "correctly" since I've still been able to capture from tape.

Will Schryver March 16th, 2008 03:04 PM

I started having problems capturing video in XP Pro (which I had loaded on a new Dell XPS 410 that had come with Vista). I concluded that my firewire cards, made for a Vista system, were just not working right with XP. So, I upgraded to Vista Ultimate. Afterwards, I was able to capture with my HV20 just fine, and my XH A1 is recognized, but I'm having problems capturing from it, as described in a new thread I just started.

Brian Overman March 17th, 2008 10:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tom Roper (Post 842724)
Are you turning on the cam power, setting thedial on VCR?

I have used the XH-A1 with Windows XP, and now with Vista Home Premium, no problem, no difference.
but you should look closely at the connector on the PC side. I did once have a connection problem caused by bent pins there.

I am using VCR and trying Ext Control with Canon COnsole. Neither work. Panasonic DVX100 works gfine on same port with same cable.

What I do not have is a way to plug it in, I am using battery power only when connecting. Can anyone verify that they can successfully use a fully charged battery as power while connected to firwire?