DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xh-series-hdv-camcorders/)
-   -   XH-A1 (& HV20) Capture in Vegas 8.0 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xh-series-hdv-camcorders/117130-xh-a1-hv20-capture-vegas-8-0-a.html)

Will Schryver March 16th, 2008 02:59 PM

XH-A1 (& HV20) Capture in Vegas 8.0

I've had my XH-A1 for several months now. I've shot a lot of footage; captured a lot of footage, etc. No problems. I've just upgraded from XP Professional to Vista Ultimate. I've captured video from my HV20 since then. No problem.

I shot some outdoor footage the other day with the A1. When I go to capture it using Vegas 8.0, the capture is creating a series of approximately 1 second clips of what is seamless footage. Played through my analog to digital converter, it streams just fine.

I removed the tape and tried to capture it via the HV20 -- same problem: about one clip per second.

Any ideas folks?

Sean Evans March 16th, 2008 03:33 PM

I have the same problem, and I've seen this mentioned in at least one other thread (http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=115174), although there's been no resolution there either.

I downloaded HDVSplit, and that captures to m2t without issues, so I've been using that. Like you, I'd prefer not to have to jump through hoops, but it has been working for me.

Chris Barcellos March 16th, 2008 04:50 PM

One guess is that what you have running in background is eating up resources, and after so many frames, the capture utility drops the capture, creating multiple mini files. Make sure computer is dedicated only to handling the capture task.

Will Schryver March 16th, 2008 10:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Barcellos (Post 843508)
One guess is that what you have running in background is eating up resources, and after so many frames, the capture utility drops the capture, creating multiple mini files. Make sure computer is dedicated only to handling the capture task.

No, that is not the problem. I routinely open the task manager and end all unnecessary processes when I capture and/or render.

In fact, I have determined the common thread. It is only happening with 24p stuff. I just did a test: recorded a small clip at 24p, then changed the signal type on the same tape (to make sure it wasn't just a tape issue) to 60i and shot a few more seconds of test video. Vegas is choking on the 24p footage. Even the capture preview window manifests the problem -- the footage is jumpy and lurchy (is that a word?) in the preview window. But the footage looks fine in the camera's display. The 60i footage looks fine in both displays and captures just fine.

And, just so no one wonders, I tried changing the project properties to a 24p parameter set -- it makes no difference.

So, I've got to believe this is a Vegas problem. (I'm at the latest update level: 8.0b)

The thing is, it's only happening when I shoot 24p on the XH-A1. I shot 24p stuff on my HV20 and it captures just fine.

So, you bright people, what do you think?

Paul Cox March 17th, 2008 09:58 AM

This seems to be a common problem with the XH-A1 24F and Vegas 8.

I am having the exact same problem, what I have been doing is capturing 24F with Vegas 7, works fine , then edit with Vegas 8, not sure but it must be a glitch with Vegas 8

Will Schryver March 17th, 2008 12:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul Cox (Post 843820)
This seems to be a common problem with the XH-A1 24F and Vegas 8.

I am having the exact same problem, what I have been doing is capturing 24F with Vegas 7, works fine , then edit with Vegas 8, not sure but it must be a glitch with Vegas 8

Interesting that it is only with the XH-A1, and not with my HV20.

The problem is that Vegas 7.0 is not compatible with Vista. I have an XP box with Vegas 7.0e that I could use to capture, but what a pain!

I'll be interested in seeing if there is additional confirmation about this being a Vegas 8.0 problem. Maybe I'll try to contact Sony Support, too.

Richard Hunter March 17th, 2008 12:28 PM

Will, you can download HDVSplit for free, and use that to capture from the camera. I would advise NOT to split the clip into scenes, because Vegas tends to choke up if you bring in many small HDV clips, but it works OK if you have one big clip and chop it up inside Vegas.

Richard

Paul Cox March 17th, 2008 12:29 PM

ohh I did not know that Vegas 7 did not work on vista, bummer, I guess I will not be going to vista then, sorry to hear about that.

Will Schryver March 17th, 2008 12:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Richard Hunter (Post 843903)
Will, you can download HDVSplit for free, and use that to capture from the camera. I would advise NOT to split the clip into scenes, because Vegas tends to choke up if you bring in many small HDV clips, but it works OK if you have one big clip and chop it up inside Vegas.

Richard

Does HDVSplit capture as .m2t files? I guess I could do a search for HDVSplit on the board and see what I find . . .

Richard Hunter March 17th, 2008 02:00 PM

Yes, it captures as m2t. If you set it for scene detect (which you wouldn't if you want to edit in Vegas) it splits the clips correctly at the scene boundaries, as opposed to Vegas which gets it wrong by a few frames.

Richard

Will Schryver March 18th, 2008 10:46 AM

FYI:

I just got this response back from the Sony folks:

Quote:

This is a known issue with the XH-A1 and Vegas Pro 8. Engineering teams from Canon and Sony are busily working to come up with a solution for the problem.
By the way, I downloaded and used HDVSplit to capture my 24f footage. It worked just fine. Thanks for the hint.

Tony Nguyen September 19th, 2008 07:39 PM

Any luck with this yet? Updates?

Juan Parmenides September 20th, 2008 01:33 PM

Thatīs why I do not update to Vista until (at least) the SP4 revision will be released.
It is another more problem from Vista.
The XH A1 works perfectly well with video capturing software in Windows XP SP2, Mac OS X 10.4 and Leopard, and still I havenīt tried in Linux, but it could work.

James Hooey September 20th, 2008 03:35 PM

The latest update for Vegas Pro to 8.0c solves the XHA1 24F capture issues. As well it seems to have solved a issue with page file memory usage of these 24F files on Pro 8's timeline.

All the best.

Steven Reid September 22nd, 2008 11:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by James Hooey (Post 940163)
The latest update for Vegas Pro to 8.0c solves the XHA1 24F capture issues. As well it seems to have solved a issue with page file memory usage of these 24F files on Pro 8's timeline.

All the best.

I would add that 8.1 on Vista64 also can capture XHA1 24f footage with no problems for me.

$0.02,
Steve