2008 Cleveland Auto-Rama HD Vimeo Test at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old March 21st, 2008, 02:05 PM   #1
Major Player

2008 Cleveland Auto-Rama HD Vimeo Test

I need help with my video!!

I shot in 1080 on my new A1 and exported as a 720p HD file for upload to vimeo.

I watch it on Windows Media Player and it is HD widescreen - great.

I watch my upload on Vimeo and the screen is squished to 4:3. What are they doing to my video?

http://www.vimeo.com/809058

Update: Ok, I read the tutorial over at Vimeo and it looks like I need to keep the pixel aspect ratio as Square Pixels (1.0). I was using HD Widescreen (1.33), which is what I thought that I was "supposed" to use. I'm re-exporting and I'll upload the new version lickety-split!

Next Update: Great. I exported the file from Premier Elements again and used square pixels. Wow! It looks great on my monitor. I'm uploading the new file to vimeo right now and it says that it will be done converting in 10 more minutes. I can't wait!

Last edited by Will Mahoney; March 22nd, 2008 at 01:48 PM. Reason: I found a tutorial explaining how to fix my problem...I think. We'll see what happens.
Will Mahoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2008, 11:12 PM   #2
New Boot

Will thanks for putting your demo up. Great job all around I thought. The handheld shots, especially if you had that heavy wide angle on, looked great.
Nice close ups, focusing , and getting into the displays. I especially liked the move about a minute in when the camera seemed to spin to another view. How did you do that, was the truck shot in a mirror to start with?
This would be great to see as an ad, or part of a documentary. Since I'm just starting out with the A1,and have allot to learn, it's nice to see what others can do with their talent. Also I bet the ghosts at the old tank plant were standing there with their mouths open at that show!
Thanks again
Dave
Paul Torak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2008, 01:56 PM   #3
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Torak View Post
Nice close ups, focusing , and getting into the displays. I especially liked the move about a minute in when the camera seemed to spin to another view. How did you do that, was the truck shot in a mirror to start with?
Dave

Wait...are you Paul, or Dave?

Either way, thanks for the kind words. And you're right, that spinning shot was shot in a mirror. The truck's display had mirrors all around the base that pointed inward and at the truck. I held the camera backwards and pointing straight down, with its top to me. That's where the shot begins, with me pointing down at the mirror and seeing the truck's reflection. Then I just spun it away from the mirror and caught the tire quickly into frame as I came around to face the real truck. It was a silly idea that ended up looking cool, imo.

What sort of stuff do you video? Hobby, occupation?
Old March 22nd, 2008, 03:24 PM   #4
Major Player

Ok, the problem is fixed.

Ok, I fixed the problem and the video looks stunning. Well, compared to the squished version it looks great. I'll let you decide if it's actually good.

Cam: Canon XH-A1 w/ WD-H72 wide angle convertor for handheld shots.

Stephen Dempsey's VIVIDRGB preset

Adobe Premier Elements 3.0 - For most of the shots I boosted Saturation and Contrast, and lowered Brightness.

It's apparent to me that I need to invest in some sort of stabilizer (maybe build one) or seriously work on my handheld technique. Though this was my first event with the A1, so I'm sure that I'll improve.
Old March 23rd, 2008, 03:48 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Hey Will

I liked the video but I posted to say.... "Hi Neighbor!"

We live about a 1/2 hour SE of Canton but we are in Cleveland most weekends for weddings. Is that your company in your signature?
Brian Morris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2008, 10:23 PM   #6
New Boot

Just for 1 shot!

Will, the video is great. In particular, the flip shot already mentioned in a previous post. That shot was ... how can I put it in one word ... HOT!!!
Jay Hobbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2008, 08:07 AM   #7
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Morris View Post
I liked the video but I posted to say.... "Hi Neighbor!"

We live about a 1/2 hour SE of Canton but we are in Cleveland most weekends for weddings. Is that your company in your signature?
Howdy! The company in the signature is the company that I work for, Stylin' Trucks. I'm a Copywriter there, and recently they've been letting me try video work, so I'm the unofficial Videographer there too. Which is kindof exciting. I'm still learning, but they are paying me, so it's great.

What company do you do weddings for? I've checked out the event/wedding forum here and I've actually been thinking about trying to branch out and do other types of video work. I just work on product installations and auto show coverage for now...
Old March 24th, 2008, 11:09 PM   #8
Regular Crew

I own my own company, 2nd Mile Productions. It is my wife and I. We shoot about 30 weddings a year. I supplement in the winter with web design work (which has turned into a part-time gig itself).

What are you using to edit?... oops just saw Premiere Elements.

That is great that work is paying you to do something you enjoy!

Last edited by Brian Morris; March 24th, 2008 at 11:11 PM. Reason: Add answer to my own question
Brian Morris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2008, 10:47 AM   #9
Major Player

Thanks for including a link to your wedding company in the sig. I checked it out but my company's network is a little tweaked right now and I can't view the vids. I'll check them out in a little bit.

But, I've been reading your blog and I like what you have to say. I'm looking to branch out and network with other locals, so if you need any assistance on anything, please PM me.

And really, thanks for the kind words.
Will Mahoney is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders