A1 manual focus/IAF button technique - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old March 23rd, 2008, 05:13 AM   #16
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lou Bruno View Post
I use a LANC controller which has foucus controls. Since this camera allows a manual overide in AUTO, I have never had a problem tweaking any slightly off focus with my VARIZOOM.
I agree with you Lou. This works fine when there is time to focus.
And the zoom creeps imperceptibly with my Bebob Zoe if I want it to. Better than using the controls on the camera. So that aspect of using the lanc is great.
However I miss the push autofocus function via the lanc in the kind of situation where I am moving around and filming a situation that is changing fast eg a group of people learning map reading skills outdoors, where framing/composition changes second by second.
In that kind of situation there isn't the time to focus manually but I know that if I press the IAF button and put the subject in the middle of the frame that the camera will focus on it.
The A1 falls short in this kind of situation compared to my other cameras. I haven't used it with my fig rig because it lacks IAF via lanc.
After reading the posts to this thread I feel I should experiment with the autofocus. I normally shoot in manual.
Richard Gooderick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2008, 07:03 AM   #17
Major Player

So the next question is which LANC controllers do have a push IAF button - or one that can be programmed to control this on the A1?
Old March 23rd, 2008, 07:24 AM   #18
Major Player

Hi Annie,
I would like to know this as well. I have researched this forum and there are a couple of issues it seems. There was a firmware update from Canon to address LANC issues with non-Canon LANCs. But, since this update I haven't found any threads indicating which controllers "now" will work with focusing. They all seem to work the zoom properly, it's the focus that is the mystery. There are hints that Canon's ZR2000 will perform our focus concerns it even has an IAF button, but I can't find out whether it works properly, and one poster even alluded to it searching focus when used (which would be hugely problematic on a run & gun), but again I couldn't confirm if this was pre or post firmware update.

Thus, I have four specific questions:

1. Which LANCs work with focus with the A1?

2. And if they work with focus control is there a speed adjustment or is it a touch sensitive rocker for the focus control buttons, or is it only one dedicated speed, and if so, what speed - creepy slow or kind of quick??

3. And, is there a specific button dedicated to IAF and does it work well (i.e. doesn't self engage or run a 30 second search party)?

Kind of hoping Chris Hurd will join us, I know he has this camera or at least is well versed on it, and a former Varizoom guy...

Thanks,
Lonnie
p.s. I just picked up a Varizoom Pro L on ebay, and when it arrives I'll test and let you know - it has focus buttons - but no IAF.
Lonnie Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2008, 07:34 AM   #19
Major Player

...and in anticipation of the next question:

"Originally Posted by Bill Busby
To see your firmware version, place the A1 in card mode, then switch to VCR mode. In the menu, go to System Setup. It should show you the firmware version grayed out."

I believe the latest should read Firmware 1.0.1.0
Old March 23rd, 2008, 12:33 PM   #20
Major Player

That doesn't work for me. No software version shows up.

What works for me is to turn the camera on to VCR mode then switch to card mode. In card mode select menu then system setup.

firmware shows up greyed out - Mine says 1.0.0.0 how do you upgrade?
Jim Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2008, 12:37 PM   #21
Major Player

JIM,
on the handle side of your cam, next to composite out terminal, slide the switch to card (not tape), then put the camera in VCR mode...
Old March 23rd, 2008, 12:39 PM   #22
Major Player

Worked for me, mine is 1.0.1.0

You have to have the camera in card mode - system setup in any other mode won't give you that option. Life would be so much easier if system setup meant the same however you got to it!!
Old March 23rd, 2008, 12:42 PM   #23
Major Player

Mine is at the recent upgrade, so I didn't have to fuss here Jim.
If memory serves me correctly, I believe if you call Canon Support, you'll probably have to send it in. Search these threads - it's in here somewhere.

Good luck,
Lonnie
Old March 25th, 2008, 07:19 AM   #24
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lou Bruno View Post
I use a LANC controller which has foucus controls. Since this camera allows a manual overide in AUTO, I have never had a problem tweaking any slightly off focus with my VARIZOOM.
Does this mean you keep it in autofocus on the camera, and then use the controller to tweak if the autofocus is messing up, ie focusing on a fence way behind the two foreground subjects you are targeting?

No answer from anyone on a succesful IAF button on a lanc controller. Maybe there isn't one that works yet.

Trish
Trish Kerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2008, 08:44 AM   #25
Major Player

Trish,
I will test a few with instant AF at NAB in addition to the one I have coming - which only has focus adjust buttons. Hopefully they will have XHA1's under their displays. Last year I was allowed a backpack in the joint - I'll see if I can bring my A1 in for accessory shopping purchases.

Lonnie
Old March 25th, 2008, 10:35 AM   #26
Major Player

Great

Would love to go to NAB someday. Wish I was in vegas now! Yet another storm coming in.

Trish
Trish Kerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2008, 05:50 PM   #27
Regular Crew

I tried one of those $29 Digital Concepts lancs. It works quite well with focus and variable speed zoom. You can hold the focus buttons down or tap to focus. There's a display on.off, record, camera on.off, zoom rocker, zoom speed dial. the only thing that doesn't work is Photo button for stills, no IAF.

http://images.channeladvisor.com/Sel...00_leg_350.jpg
James R. Leong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2008, 06:01 PM   #28
Major Player

James,

Thanks for the info and image! I'm sure Trish will be thrilled too :)

I have a question for you though...

Push or tap to focus, you say. Would you explain that som more. I see the picture of the device, but the angle is such that I can't see everything clearly.

I see "N"ear and "F"ar. I just don't understand the push or tap part :).
Old March 26th, 2008, 10:22 PM   #29
Regular Crew

Hi Shiv

When you press the N or F button and hold, it focuses or defocuses continuously. Then you can fine tune the focus, by pressing the N or F momentarily, press and let go. I find it more accurate than using the focus ring!
James R. Leong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2008, 11:03 PM   #30
Major Player

James,

Ok, I get it now. Thanks for the explanation.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders