Lowlight preset tests vs. VX2100 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old March 21st, 2008, 11:37 PM   #1
Major Player

Lowlight preset tests vs. VX2100

Hey ALl here is my first set of test in my room at night witht he A1 still trying to figure it out. I need a real life test... please feel free to comment
Bill
www.vimeo.com/810699
Bill Grant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2008, 04:07 PM   #2
Major Player

interesting. I liked the true color preset on the A1 best even though it was a bit dark.
Jim Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2008, 04:25 PM   #3
Regular Crew

True color looks best. The other two are washed out/fuzzy and too bright. I find the difference very noticable. I am glad i went with a VX2100 instead of a XH-A1. I wonder if the difference will be even bigger when you remove the wide angle lens from the VX2100.
Chris van der Zaan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2008, 05:36 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Source of Error?

XH A1: Dark Subtitle Screen

VX2100: Bright Movie Scene

The key to any experiment is to keep all variables, except for one, the same. You didn't do that.

If anything your "experiment" tested CCD performance in 2 different lighting conditions. NOT A1 performance vs. VX2100 performance.

If you are going to test "low" light performance please make sure that the light remains "low" throughout the entire experiment.
Russ Motyko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2008, 08:19 PM   #5
Major Player

Oh, I hope I never indicated it was scientific. I was watching a movie and shot a few seconds with each cam. That's all. I never really noticed that the light on the tv had changed. I was actually pretty impressed with the relatively narrow margins. But what we do practically is very unscientific. I've never been to a wedding that was measured and so you know just had the stuff at my disposal that's all, thanks for watching.
Bill
Old March 22nd, 2008, 10:57 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Lowlight preset experiments?

Personally, I'm not tweaked about an unscientific result making the VX2100 appear as a better low light cam. I know we'd agree that our XH A1s are fun to use and experiment with.

According to the title of the thread, it was a "lowlight preset tests vs. VX2100" regardless of how scientific the test intended to be. It's great to shoot video to learn your way around it. Please don't call it a test against another cam. Tests have the purpose of comparing one cam to another. People want to know what will work best for their particular situation and need. An unscientific test will only cause frustration and confusion for those people.
Old March 23rd, 2008, 07:27 AM   #7
Major Player

Sorry, I just don't have the patience for scientific. I thought that the A1 was very close to the 2100. In fact that was what I was astonished about really, I had figured because of all of the SD vs HD talk in low light I would figure it would be night and day, and not subtle. But I'll refrain from posting next time. Sorry for the confusion.
Bill
Old March 23rd, 2008, 10:33 PM   #8
New Boot

I appreciate your post!

As a new boot ... my opinion doesnt matter much, however, I appreciate your post and post some more dammit!
Jay Hobbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2008, 11:52 PM   #9
Regular Crew

Bill, I really appreciate you posting video. I checked it out yesterday. But I have to agree with Jay, post some more.... Please :-)
Taj Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2008, 07:41 AM   #10
Regular Crew

Hey Bill... Just pause the movie during the credits. Retest. The LCDs throw a lot of light during bright scenes.

When is your first wedding?
Brian Morris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2008, 09:01 AM   #11
Major Player

It's Saturday. I will prevail... I am going back to the church tomorrow, and will do more testing with the right presets and also 24f and 30f. I am also shooting a bridal session today.
Bill
Old March 24th, 2008, 10:17 AM   #12
Major Player

Was that movie "Dan in Real Life." It looked like the one scene was from there. I just saw that movie last weekend and really liked it. I was initially angry because all of the previews showed what I thought was a comedy. It was actually a nice dramatic movie and I liked it a lot.

Oh, and your footage samples are nice too. Thanks. I just posted my own Vimeo test and am happy with the results of the A1. I used VividRGB at an auto show in Cleveland and the results are stunning.

Thanks for posting.
Will Mahoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2008, 11:29 AM   #13
Major Player

Bill, if your making everyone happy, you must be kissing up!!
Thanks for the comparison

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders