XHA1 24F is "Jumpy" at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old March 23rd, 2008, 01:16 PM   #1
New Boot

XHA1 24F is "Jumpy"

Hey all,

I do alot of compositing with my XHA1, if you've read my previous post, I'm having a bit of a hard time getting the footage off the camera, but that's another story!

My question here is, since i GOT the footage off and onto the CPU my 24F footage feels like I'm missing frames. I usually shoot 30F but decided i want my stuff to look a little more film like. I don't have a red rock setup or anything like that yet, but at least 24F will help for now.

I shot footage of moving bus' in Santa Monica and it feels like it's just not right, the motion feels a little "sped up" and the vehicles seem to "jump" or "skip" along the road rather than smoothly drive.

Here's a link to the shot, please let me know if anyone knows why this might be the case.

http://patricksurace.com/output/smbus.html

When i went back to look it seems the cars at the end are most jumpy, and the footage is sped up i think, otherwise it's not HORRIBLE by any means but looks WAY different than 30F.

Thanks again in advance!

-Pat
Patrick Surace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2008, 02:02 PM   #2
Major Player

What was your shutter speed at?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Surace View Post
Hey all,

I do alot of compositing with my XHA1, if you've read my previous post, I'm having a bit of a hard time getting the footage off the camera, but that's another story!

My question here is, since i GOT the footage off and onto the CPU my 24F footage feels like I'm missing frames. I usually shoot 30F but decided i want my stuff to look a little more film like. I don't have a red rock setup or anything like that yet, but at least 24F will help for now.

I shot footage of moving bus' in Santa Monica and it feels like it's just not right, the motion feels a little "sped up" and the vehicles seem to "jump" or "skip" along the road rather than smoothly drive.

Here's a link to the shot, please let me know if anyone knows why this might be the case.

http://patricksurace.com/output/smbus.html

When i went back to look it seems the cars at the end are most jumpy, and the footage is sped up i think, otherwise it's not HORRIBLE by any means but looks WAY different than 30F.

Thanks again in advance!

-Pat
Josh Chesarek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2008, 03:23 PM   #3
Contributor

It looks as if your shutter speed was too slow. If you're shooting 24 fps, it needs to be at 1/48.
Bill Pryor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2008, 03:43 PM   #4
New Boot

It's at 1/48.
Patrick Surace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2008, 06:45 PM   #5
Wrangler

This is the hardware thread Patrick is referring to:
http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=116803

I think the first step is to play the raw footage directly from the camera and see if you see this anomaly. If so, it is a camera issue...but I'm going to guess up front that nothing is wrong with the camera and that it is a computer issue, as the other thread would tend to suggest.

Assuming the raw footage from the camera plays properly, do you have access to a system that is known to have worked properly (your previous system or perhaps a friend's)? If another system will capture and edit the footage properly, well, the most straightforward solution is to back off of the unsupported Vista 64.
Pete Bauer is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders