DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xh-series-hdv-camcorders/)
-   -   A-1 as webcam? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xh-series-hdv-camcorders/117664-1-webcam.html)

Roger Lee March 24th, 2008 09:33 AM

A-1 as webcam?

Hello All,

I'm wondering if anyone knows if or how an A-1 could be used as a webcam?

We are doing some video conferences via the web and I can get a little webcam but I'm wondering if I can use my A-1 for this and how it could be done?

Thanks

Rog Lee

Daniel Browning March 24th, 2008 10:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Roger Lee (Post 847554)
I'm wondering if anyone knows if or how an A-1 could be used as a webcam?

Standard definition 4:3 is easy: just throw a composite video capture card in your computer (we got one for "free after rebate"). Component (480i) capture cards are pricier at $75.

For SD 16:9, the A1 outputs an anamorphic signal (it cannot letterbox a live image, only on playback from tape).

Firewire has a delay on it, so it's not usable as a webcam.

Roger Lee March 24th, 2008 02:00 PM

Daniel,

Thanks for the info.

I have this card in my CPU. Will it work?

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...&Sku=E145-8832

If not, I'm not sure what a composite video card is? How would it be hooked up?

When you say composite...you mean a video card with RGB hookups? Sorry, I'm a bit of a newbie here.

Thanks

Daniel Browning March 24th, 2008 02:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Roger Lee (Post 847698)
I have this card [EVGA 8800GT 512] in my CPU. Will it work?

No, it does not have any video inputs, only one S-video output.

Quote:

I'm not sure what a composite video card is?

What you need is a capture card. Some video cards can capture video, but not yours. Composite is an old video standard with one RCA connector. Many of the capture cards also contain TV tuners and are sold under that category. You can find them for $0 (after rebate) to $100.

Quote:

How would it be hooked up?

Use the four-conductor composite breakout cable (one composite video RCA and two audio RCA) and plug it into the composite capture card.

Quote:

When you say composite...you mean a video card with RGB hookups? Sorry, I'm a bit of a newbie here.

No, that's component video. That's higher quality, but standard-definition component video capture cards are more expensive and rare.

Do not get one with just S-Video; the A1 does not support that.

Roger Lee March 24th, 2008 08:32 PM

Again Dan,

Thanks for the help.

I think I can make it work now.

Rog Lee

Larry Vaughn March 25th, 2008 01:06 PM

external control

I was able to use my XH-A1 with the External Control position on the main control knob and some Adobe "play" newscasting software. To make it see my camera, I first had to download and install the demo version of the Canon remote control software available from the Canon site. Apparently it installs some drivers which allowed my camera to work with other software, to record to hard drive. The Canon software expires unless you buy it, but the drivers remain allowing the camera to function.

Not sure if this will help you, but it's worth a try, because the video quality is a lot better.

I was also able to use the A1 with some online broadcasting web sites that normally use webcams. The SD 60i menu setting was required and I used the firewire cable. There is a delay but it's a fraction of a second and not a problem to me.

I didn't use any capture cards.

Larry Vaughn March 25th, 2008 01:15 PM

external control

double post

Daniel Browning March 25th, 2008 01:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Larry Vaughn (Post 848227)
There is a delay but it's a fraction of a second and not a problem to me.

The delay is over one half of a second.

Roger Lee March 26th, 2008 09:14 PM

Been away for a while.

Thanks again for the help here.

Rog Lee

Jeremiah Rickert March 26th, 2008 10:08 PM

I use a little software called DVDriver for turning any DV camera into a Webcam.

JR