Battery Failure at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old March 31st, 2008, 06:02 AM   #1
New Boot

Battery Failure

Hi... can anyone help me please?

Having charged the battery which came with my XHA1 (the BP950G), when I connect it to the camera, the camera does not power up, nor will it power up my XLH1.

Using another battery, the camera works so I'm confident it's the battery at fault.

When I put the battery on the standard XHA1 charger, the light flashes a couple of times and then remains lit. The same thing happens on the XLH1 charger.

I charged several other batteries at the same time and they all took a charge and work fine, so again, I don't suspect the charger of foul play.

Now, other that the intial charge when I bought the XHA1 (new, last month), this is the first charge of this battery and following charging (when it was removed no more than an hour after 100% charge) it sat on a shelf overnight (with all the other charged batteries -with the covers on) and the next day (in an air-conditioned room) would not work. (ie it was not dropped, jolted, shorted out, used while still hot from charging, overcharged or subjected to extreme temperatures).

Of course the obvious conclusion is that it's a dud and I should return it to Canon but I live in a country where dealer customer service/access to manufacturers is virtually non-existent -not to mention the fact that packages from overseas don't always arrive and even then are often opened and submitted to a not-exactly kid-gloved searches.

So... any other ideas to resuscitate the battery before I chance the return-to-manufacturer option?

Thanks,
James

p.s. forgive the length of this post -I wanted to preempt as many already-tried suggestions as possible!!

Last edited by James Thomson; March 31st, 2008 at 07:12 AM.
James Thomson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2008, 06:31 AM   #2
Wrangler

Can you measure the battery terminal voltage on the battery?
Can you measure the battery terminal voltage under some moderate load, say around 20 ohms, give or take?

Lithium-ion rechargeable batteries contain internal electronics and internal protective components, and if they fail or self-protect, the battery may be beyond rescue by an end user. If it is a new camcorder, you might try contact the dealer if the battery was bad out of the box.
Old March 31st, 2008, 07:11 AM   #3
New Boot

Thanks for the reply.

I don't have a multimeter at the moment but I can certainly get one.

I'll report back...

Any other thoughts anyone?

Thanks
James Thomson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders