Camera for a deck at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old April 2nd, 2008, 06:34 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Camera for a deck

Hi there,

i was looking into a deck to log and capture my footage, and i always cringe when i have to use my xha1 to do this task. I want to save the heads strictly for shooting only.

i looked around and hdv decks and they're extremely expensive. does anyone know what they difference would be between an actual deck, and buying a smaller, cheaper hdv camcorder? is the camcorder's heads more prone to wearing down quickly than the actual deck? and which camcorder would you recommend if i was to get one? or are there any affordable hdv decks out there on the market that are below 2,000? Thanks!
Kevin Ta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2nd, 2008, 06:52 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Er, Kevin.............

Take a short stroll over to Google and type in "canon a1 deck".

You'll be buried alive in the response and most of 'em were posted right here on DVinfo.

Tell you everything you need to know and more.

CS
Chris Soucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2nd, 2008, 07:40 PM   #3
Regular Crew

thanks for the quick advice chris, that google search did the trick.

i guess that hv20 is looking really good, and the price sounds like music to my ears. thanks again
Kevin Ta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2008, 04:37 AM   #4
Inner Circle

Most cam makers say change the heads after 1000hrs. That's a lot of tape passing through, with average use you'll be upgrading your cam before you reach that number. But I find the A1 is a bind to place on the editing desk and I use the HV20.

If you do get one, get out the remote control to run the tape, saves the hassle of picking up the HV20 and wear on the buttons.
Cheers.
Allan Black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2008, 06:43 AM   #5
Wrangler

The new Canon HV30 (same MSRP) may prove a good option as well
Old April 3rd, 2008, 07:05 AM   #6
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allan Black View Post
If you do get one, get out the remote control to run the tape, saves the hassle of picking up the HV20 and wear on the buttons.
Cheers.
Apart from the initial rewind of the tape, I always use the deck control features of the capture program to, er control the deck.

Richard
Richard Hunter is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders