Time Code at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old April 4th, 2008, 04:18 AM   #1
Major Player

Time Code

Hi Guys,

I have been asked an awards ceremony using 2 cameras. The cameras that I will be using are my own XHA1 and and hiring out a Sony HDV Z1E as I cant get hold of another XHA1.

There will be one main wall which either camera will project onto depending on what has been selected from the Panasonic MX50 vision mixer. My questions is how do I synch the two camcorders up so the timecode is the same. This will help me later in my edit suite, also would it be better if I was to hire out another Sony HDV Z1E instead of using my XHA1?

Thanks guys
Tariq Peter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2008, 05:13 AM   #2
Major Player

You can use this method to sync the two A1's timecode:

http://dvinfo.net/canonxl2/articles/article11.php

Not sure how you're going to sync the Z1 and A1 because neither have genlock or tc in/out
Nick Weeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2008, 05:52 AM   #3
Major Player

That looks great however my cameras are going to be to far from each other for this to work. The signal will not reach both at the same time, one camera will be in a seperate part of the hall. Any other ideas?
Old April 4th, 2008, 05:57 AM   #4
Major Player

You set the timecode once when the cameras are next to each other with the remote, then the timecode runs in the background using the internal battery on the camera independent of the tape run, so as you start and stop the tape the timecode is printed the same among each camera.

The cameras don't have to even be in the same building for this to work

This is probably your only option for syncing timecode on the Canons since you aren't using the G1 model... still not sure how you can Sync the Sony with the Canon
Nick Weeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2008, 06:06 AM   #5
Major Player

Ah, I think I might just hire out 2 Sonys instead and see if the same method will work.
Old April 4th, 2008, 07:17 AM   #6
Wrangler

If the free-running time code option (see page 42 of the manual) does not work for you, a method to help determine precise sync is to use a flash both camcorder can see, or a common sound they both hear (clapper?) to mark a common frame, then calculate the time offset and apply it to one of the camcorder's time code in post.
Old April 6th, 2008, 09:37 PM   #7
Major Player

How accurate?

has anyone tested this to see if the TC is still together after let's say 2 or 3 hours?
I have 2 A1's that i'd like to set together as described.

dm
David Morgan is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders