Critique this....:) at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old April 5th, 2008, 07:52 PM   #1
Major Player

Critique this....:)

I'm hoping people will give some feedback to some of the shots in this short montage of Kitchener, Ontario.

http://www.vimeo.com/861744

Everything shot on the XHA1 and edited in Vegas. Magic Bullet looks were not fully intended to add any particular artistic value but were included to test them a bit and match them up to some of the footage for further ideas.

Critisism most welcome and appreciated.!

James Hooey
James Hooey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2008, 08:15 PM   #2
Major Player

Nice shots... composed well, although some were too long in my opinion... but that music didn't do it for me for this kind of thing. Too "minorish" sounding. Makes me not wanna visit for fear of something lurking in the shadows. :)
Bill Busby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2008, 08:23 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Looks great! How did you achieve the speed effects? In camera or post?
Bob Stovall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2008, 08:28 PM   #4
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Stovall View Post
Bob, the A1 can't over/under crank so it's post or nada :)
Bill Busby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2008, 08:56 PM   #5
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Stovall View Post
Sure enough Bob, done in post in Vegas. Speed up about 900% if I remember correctly.
Old April 5th, 2008, 08:59 PM   #6
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Busby View Post
Nice shots... composed well, although some were too long in my opinion... but that music didn't do it for me for this kind of thing. Too "minorish" sounding. Makes me not wanna visit for fear of something lurking in the shadows. :)
Spooky isn't it :) just kidding.

Music is done in Cinescore and I agree, I like it for the opening shots but the park/fountain shots don't work as well with the music.
Old April 5th, 2008, 10:02 PM   #7
Major Player

Looks good. Some shots too long. The last shot I was expecting a rack focus or something and not just a 100% OOF shot the whole duration.
Old April 8th, 2008, 01:21 PM   #8
Inner Circle

Location: Vancouver, British Columbia (formerly Winnipeg, Manitoba) Canada
MB Looks?

You used Magic Bullet Looks for this? How does the original black level compare to the nice saturated blacks we see here? I LOVE this look, even if it is a bit "cold" for "tourist-y"...
Old April 8th, 2008, 03:29 PM   #9
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaun Roemich View Post
You used Magic Bullet Looks for this? How does the original black level compare to the nice saturated blacks we see here? I LOVE this look, even if it is a bit "cold" for "tourist-y"...
The original footage is shot with the straight default preset for the A1. I do all my colour correction generally in post and usually with the colour corrector or colour curves filters within Vegas. In this particular case I think I was just slapping on some Magic Bullet effects to see how each one tweaked the image. There is a pretty wide difference in the blacks between the raw footage and after it has gone through Magic Bullets, depending on your choice of look from MB. The raw footage generally looks like the blacks have a slightly grey film to them until after I do whatever colour correction I want to deepen them. The scopes in Vegas are my key way to tell how much I could/should bring down the blacks to get more saturation and help the colours pop. Magic Bullet seems to on average drop the IRE of the blacks by about 8-10 IRE and slightly crush them (compress them), but again it all depends on the particular Bullet effect you are applying.

Hope my convoluted information answers your question!

I will see if I can create a few before MB/after MB screen grabs if you like which will visually show the differences.

All the best,
James Hooey
James Hooey is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders