DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xh-series-hdv-camcorders/)
-   -   Screw problem - LCD panel (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xh-series-hdv-camcorders/118703-screw-problem-lcd-panel.html)

Dirk Bouwen April 6th, 2008 05:34 AM

Screw problem - LCD panel

1 Attachment(s)
About two weeks ago, I was filming in the south of France, while I suddenly noticed that a screw had disappeared from my A1's LCD panel (see image).

This screw seems to be the one and only key connection to keep the LCD panel on the swivel system. To be honest, compared to the Sony LCD's, I've always found this concept to be a weak looking design. Take a PD170's panel: it's rock sturdy!

The consequence was that I didn't want to use the LCD anymore to avoid further issues, and could thus only work with the viewfinder. A serious inconvenience, anyhow.

My shop is going to discuss this issue with Canon, and try to get the screw, since this seems to be the only problem (I hope so). If I send the camera in for service, it will take me at least weeks without this A1 (I already went through the challenging experience of Canon's after sales services in Europe) - I cannot afford this kind of game at this moment.

In the margin: I handle my equipment with a lot of care.

The A1 is a beautiful piece of engineering, but I've already encountered a few quality issues. Going from the non-usable downconvert option (alternating black line), a not straight positioned baseplate, now this...

From a company like Canon, making and selling tremendous numbers of cameras every day, I would not expect this type of problem, certainly not in a pro range of camera's, and certainly not on vital components.

With Sony, I've also had a few things, but never lost one screw!

Jan Luethje April 6th, 2008 09:08 AM

Hi Dirk,

had the same issue with another of these small screws. Went to a local Canon spot (not a 'shop', a qualified workshop), they fixed it instantly.

Dirk Bouwen April 7th, 2008 11:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jan Luethje (Post 855216)
Hi Dirk,

had the same issue with another of these small screws. Went to a local Canon spot (not a 'shop', a qualified workshop), they fixed it instantly.

Well... let's see. After all, this is not 'just a shop', but one of photography & video experts. But thanks for the remark.

They told me they had seen similar issues with camera's going a lot in transportation, or on heli's, airplanes...

My A1 resides about 15000km in the car every year, could be an explanation.

Hubert Duijzer September 17th, 2008 07:22 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I just wanted to start a new thread about the same problem.

The screw was still in the panel, but almost completely out.

Bill Grant September 17th, 2008 08:38 AM

I had this problem with both of my A1s within 1 job... I called Canon's service number, they sent me to the parts dept. and they shipped me out a bag of 10 of these screws, gratis. No problem, lickity split...
Bill

Kale Fitch September 17th, 2008 10:01 AM

I had this same problem with my Canon GL2, a few screws completely came out. Ever since then I have done a quick spot check before and after every shoot to make sure everything is there and tightened down. Canon should send you some screws if you call their parts dept., I would suggest getting a few in case this happens again.

Philip Hinkle September 17th, 2008 12:19 PM

I have the same problem on one of my 3 cams. I am still using it weekly even with out the screw. My LCD seems to be pretty well mounted on there in spite of the missing screw. There is a repair shop here in town so I do need to make a run up there and see the tech and get a few replacements. I have been considering taking the one from my little used backup cam till I get a replacement. My LCD is still pretty strong on there even with out the screw...you are right it is a kinda fragile mount sticking out that way.

Randy Panado September 18th, 2008 05:26 AM

And here I thought it was just my cam that had this issue! I'll call Canon in the morning and see about getting some replacement screws also. I only had one fall out and it was on the outer edge of the LCD, not the hinge.

Jan Luethje September 19th, 2008 01:16 AM

Definitely a problem of the cam. Had this issue several times, also with the screws of the ext. mic holder - that has to carry a quite large MCE 87 in my case. I got accustomed to check 'suspicious screws' after a couple of production days, use thread lock fluid and finally made myself a 'second holder' to stabilize the ext. mic. Seems to work.

Randy Panado October 2nd, 2008 03:19 PM

Finally got around to calling Canon's service department. Ended up losing one more screw during the time I waited...ack.

They sent me 3 screws, just enough to cover the ones I'm missing, for free. Awesome service.

Now I'm just hoping nothing else will fall out. I was considering a small dab of RTV but surely there must be a better way to keep them from working themselves loose?

John Russell October 11th, 2008 07:04 PM

The screw came out of the bottom of my LCD, then I flipped the LCD forward to use as a monitor (which inverts the image). Now the image is inverted and will not return to the upright position when I return the LCD to the normal viewing position.

Canon needs to get a new manufacturer for these screws because I shoot a lot of footage at the beach and all the screws began corroding within a few months of purchase. I have a XL1, XL2, and GL2 and have not had these corrosion problems. The screws in the XHA1 are inferior.

I sent the camera to Canon Factory Service yesterday. I hope I have better luck than I did with a HV30 that I recently had them service. It took three trips back for them to get it right.

Tripp Woelfel October 12th, 2008 07:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John Russell (Post 949785)
Canon needs to get a new manufacturer for these screws because I shoot a lot of footage at the beach and all the screws began corroding within a few months of purchase.

Having spent decades on ocean-going boats, metal corrodes. Full stop. The two things you can do to mitigate this actuality is to clean your cam every time after being around salt air, and put a little oil on each screw head. This will give it some protection.

You might want to get a bunch of new screws and replace them now. If the screws are corroding on the surface you're likely getting some galvanic corrosion on the threads. If that gets bad enough you will never get them to unscrew.

I'm a bit surprised that Canon don't put some thread-lock on the screws. That would solve the problem, but it would add cost. It's interesting that after my old Sony TRV-10 finally died after many years of yeoman service, I took it apart to see if I could liberate any interesting parts. It's screws had thread lock applied.

Alastair Brown October 31st, 2008 09:57 AM

Is this thread cursed?

I read it, and checked my cam...nope...mine are all OK.

Checked again on Saturday and they are missing on two of my three cams....what the!!!!!!!

Bill Pryor October 31st, 2008 10:32 AM

Back when I was forced to travel all over the U.S. and Canada via airlines, I was always having screws vibrate loose. Now I avoid airlines whenever traveling with equipment and haven't seen any problems in years. But I think I'll go through everything and tighten up the screws, as I did in the past after a trip.