Fire Company PSA at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old April 8th, 2008, 04:03 PM   #1
Major Player

Fire Company PSA

Shot all off the shoulder at a recent demonstration. VIVIDRGB pre set with film effect added in Apple's Color. Still a rough cut.

http://www.vimeo.com/876228

UPDATE: The video at this link has now been made private. Thanks all for comments.

Last edited by Peter Wiley; April 9th, 2008 at 09:53 AM. Reason: change in video status
Peter Wiley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2008, 05:01 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Spelling

Check your spelling. The text that says "Thousands more are permanintly... " the word is permanently.
Steve Kachocki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2008, 05:18 PM   #3
Major Player

Also "41% of all traffic accident deaths" is not a complete sentence.

Actually most all the white text on black cuts didn't have a good feel... but that's just me :) Maybe something as simple as letting audio continue would smooth things out?
Bill Busby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2008, 07:47 PM   #4
Major Player

Spelling

Rougher cut than I thought ;) Thanks for catching that spelling mistake Steve. Several people missed it.

Bill, we wanted a disjointed feeling . . . like a traffic accident . . . not "smooth", but perhaps it's not working.
Peter Wiley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2008, 09:05 PM   #5
Major Player

I got the idea you were going for but the execution is a bit off. Not sure exactly what it is but I think it's the pacing. Maybe the cuts need to be faster? I did notice one of the video scenes where the woman is behind the wheel, was much longer than the others which disrupts the pacing I was anticipating another text screen but it didn't come when expected.
Bill Mecca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2008, 01:08 AM   #6
Major Player

Might try some intense blue / grey color grading... Cool colors tend to invoke fear while warmer colors tend to invoke happiness and comfort... Just a thought to really help push it over the edge a little bit...
Old April 9th, 2008, 03:45 PM   #7
Regular Crew

audio continuity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Busby View Post
Also "41% of all traffic accident deaths" is not a complete sentence.

Actually most all the white text on black cuts didn't have a good feel... but that's just me :) Maybe something as simple as letting audio continue would smooth things out?
This is actually a very good idea. It gives the piece continuity and keeps us focused on the accident scene and its cause.
Steve Kachocki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2008, 11:24 AM   #8
Major Player

Thanks Steve, you got the idea of what we were trying to do.

For what it's worth, we've been experimenting and have noticed an interesting effect. Changing the text seems to greatly effect the perception of the pacing of the cuts event though the time is not changed. . . we think because of the time it takes to read the text.

Shorter text lengthens the perceived time, longer text shortens the perceived time.

Adding text to the 41% card seemed to improve the pacing of that cut even though there was no real time change.
Peter Wiley is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders