Old West Reenactment video -- 1st post at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old April 9th, 2008, 07:42 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Old West Reenactment video -- 1st post

Thanks to all of you who run this forum and make this site what it is. I'm new to video(October 07 - got my XHA1) but have learned so much from this forum.

Anyway, this is my first post of a video I shot for a reenactment group my parents are a part of. It was shot during a festival so the natural soundtrack was ruined by a live band and a helicopter tour, which both were louder than the re-enactors.

Shot in 24f 1/48, modified truecolor preset with no adapters. Some handheld and some tripod. All fcp6, except for the title which was done in Motion.

Looking for advice, critiques, likes and dislikes. Thanks so much!

http://www.vimeo.com/876972
Mike Watkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2008, 08:03 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Please bear in mind that I'm not sure what you were "after" with this, and that I am no expert. Just learning as I go along...

I thought the imagery was nice. Beautiful setting. Song selection was very nice and appropriate. Gun sounds were a bit muted, but not bad.

To my mind, there was more panning and zooming that I'd like to see in 10 features put together. Moving the camera is certainly one thing that seperates basic video from a more film-like look. And since it appears you have neither a dolly nor a stabilizer, you used zooms, and pans and zooms on the stills to achieve movement. Not bad in itself, but subtlety is key.

I'd also look at perhaps at getting some TRULY wide shots, and some 1 and two shots in the mix. A lot of it was what I call "non-commital". Essentially, you get close, but not close enough, and you get far away, but not far enough. If that makes sense.

The opening was VERY nice until we got to the zoom. I would have liked to see the camera remain still, and the shot of the boots walk off-camera while remaining in focus.

Transitions were good for the most part. In fact, I think I liked the editing more than anything else. You clearly worked hard on this. It's a LARGE step up from most "video" you see. I think the only other thing that really stood out was the large depth of field, but without spending real money to go to a 35mm adapter, there's not a lot of ways around it.

Pretty good effort man! And better than anything I've done so far.
Perrone Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2008, 08:19 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Thanks for the comments Perrone.
I was basically trying to get a trailer style video together for their website. No budget, of course:(...

HOLY SCHNIKEYS!(Chris Farley), when I look at it now I realize it's too busy.

On some of the shots I was required to stay behind a safety barricade, and the set was a little small for wide shots that didn't let cars and budweiser signs creep into frame.

Thanks for the willingness to offer advice. That's what I'm needing.

Mike
Old April 9th, 2008, 09:04 AM   #4
Major Player

The thing that's missing is a story.

There not too much technically wrong with the images, although I agree about the zooming and panning. What you've done is to substitute camera moves for story. When you have a clear story to tell what to do with the camera is much easier to sort out.

There are two possible stories here. The first is the story that the the reenactors are acting out the second is a story about the reenactors. Who are these people? Where are they from? How did they get started doing it? Why do they do it? Why is it important to them? etc. You could do either of these stories or both, and it would have been fine to tell them in the context of the festival they were a part of.

You could still do a lot with this by going back to these people and interviewing them in "real life" and cut the interviews in with what you now have.

I also thought the title sequences was nicely done.
Peter Wiley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2008, 09:10 AM   #5
Inner Circle

He said he was doing a "Trailer". Interviews aren't gonna work. :) But I do agree about the idea of a story. Here's my question...

What are they re-enacting?

I think that's your story. Figure out how to tell that visually, cut it to 45 seconds to 90 seconds, and there you have it.
Perrone Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2008, 09:32 AM   #6
Regular Crew

I agree that a story would be better.

However, I think that I like the interview of the actors approach.

**Since they write their own skits, it may not be completely accurate to call them "reenactors", sorry for any misuse of the word and any confusion.**

Also the skits they were doing I had never seen, and they only did them once during the show. I would like the opportunity to go back and video a more planned and controlled "reenactment", where multiple takes and shot set-ups could be better.

Please keep the comments coming, I'm looking to improve, so tell me how it could be better..

thanks,

mike
Old April 10th, 2008, 06:08 AM   #7
Regular Crew

I liked it, certainly watchable. I agree with the previous comments about zooms and pans. Using a zoom to reframe a shot is fine, but i wouldn't leave the 'zooming' part of the reframing in the final edit, it just looks sloppy.

I thought the action shots were awesome- really liked the first set with the draws then the shooting- looked really fun! Loved the end shot too with the bleeding colour change- would have been nice if he'd fired but it doesn't matter- reminded me of the intro to 'Tombstone'.
Joe Rizzo-Naudi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2008, 08:46 PM   #8
Regular Crew

Joe,

You're right, this was a fun shoot to do. Thanks for the encouraging words.

I struggled a little to get in all of the action with only a single camera set up and minimal knowledge of the "script" of the show. Therefore the zooms were a bit erratic and unplanned.

I'm in the process of planning a second shoot with the re-enactors, totally dedicated to the purpose of making a video and not acting for a crowd.

Any additional suggestions or ideas would be appreciated. I am scheduling this for possibly the end of April.

Thanks,

Mike

Last edited by Mike Watkins; April 10th, 2008 at 08:47 PM. Reason: misspelled word
Old July 20th, 2008, 08:29 PM   #9
Regular Crew

new footage

Attached are some screen grabs for some interview footage I took this weekend and intend to incorporate into the original video.

All grabs are shot at 24p 1/48, panalook preset and no color correction has been done.

Will post video soon for critiques.

I'm very pleased with the color and clarity of the camera...let me know your thoughts.

Thanks,

Mike
Attached Thumbnails
Old West Reenactment video -- 1st post-aaron.png   Old West Reenactment video -- 1st post-heather.png  

Old July 21st, 2008, 10:25 AM   #10
Regular Crew

additional clips

can be found in the following thread

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthrea...=125515&page=2

thanks,

Mike Watkins
Old February 23rd, 2009, 09:55 PM   #11
Regular Crew

Perrone, Peter, Joe Rizzo

I have gone back to this project and re-edited and put this project to what I'm calling finished state. Would love to hear your comments on the final product since you guys originally commented on this thread and offered some advice(which I tried to implement)...you can follow the new thread here:

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/taking-ca...cumercial.html

I appreciate your time and opinions. Same to everyone on the forum!

Mike Watkins

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders