Optimal Audio Settings for Sennheiser ew100 G2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old April 14th, 2008, 05:09 PM   #1
Major Player

Optimal Audio Settings for Sennheiser ew100 G2

Hey guys...

I just got the Sennheiser ew100 G2 wireless lav kit and have been experimenting with using it with my A1. I haven't yet been able to "dial in" the perfect audio settings on both the ew100 G2 and A1 yet.

I thought I would ask to see if anyone had any recommended settings for the ew100 G2, such as AF OUT, SENSITIVITY, etc. And also, what a good manual audio level (in %) is with the A1 for those specific settings.

Thank you so much to anyone who can share and provide some guidance for me. I am not the keenest of the flock when it comes to audio.... so I'll take any advice I can get! Thanks again.
Deke Ryland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2008, 04:01 AM   #2
Slash Rules!

I have the G2 system as well (though I don't have an A1, I have an XL2), and have to deal with this every time I use it.

Here's a link someone pointed me to on this forum long ago, that tells you how to set up the system.

http://link.brightcove.com/services/...ctid=187745393

In my experience, unfortunately, it seems you can't just have one setting for the AF out/sensitivity, and leave it alone. Sometimes what works in one situation doesn't work in another.

For the longest time, I left everything on the defaults, and it was fine. Then I had one shoot where I lav'd a woman up (she was a teacher--I was shooting her teaching some 3-4 year olds), did a quick sound check. Levels were fine. When she started teaching. . .she was way louder. No matter how low I turned down the volume on the cam, the transmitter/mic itself was still being overloaded, causing overmodulation. I turned down the transmitter's sensitivity, problem solved.

So you have to watch out for those kinds of things. For stuff that's non-repeatable (live events, lectures, etc.), I usually go with the safe option and set the transmitter's sensitivity to -30 (the lowest possible setting), and tweak the AF Out on the receiver and volume knobs on the camera as needed. YOu never know who's gonna yell or whatever, and if they do, and your transmitter's on a stage at the other end of the room, you're kinda hosed in terms of being able to adjust it. You can always tweak the receiver, and your camera, however, in those situations.

You can apparently get line level from the G2 system, by setting the sensitivity on the transmitter higher. -30 is Mic level, according to a local sound guy.

Don't know if any of this helps. Hopefully others will chime in.
Josh Bass is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders