Accessory recommendations at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old April 17th, 2008, 01:00 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Accessory recommendations

I have a XHA1 and a HV20.

I need a stability device that would work for both camras. I've been criticized on my hand held 'fly bys'. lol

I also need a bargain UHF wireless mic kit. My Rodes shotgun setup constantly needs adjustments for every situation.

I shoot events, interviews, and I'm currently looking in to 'how to video' projects.

What do you recommend?

Thanks in advance.
Old April 17th, 2008, 01:09 PM   #2
Major Player

You could check out www.spiderbrace.com for a cheap shoulder mount solution that would work for both cams.

I actually find that a Monopod makes a great stabilizer and also works well with both sizes of camcorder you have.
Old April 17th, 2008, 01:35 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip Williams View Post
You could check out www.spiderbrace.com for a cheap shoulder mount solution that would work for both cams.
Thanks. The product is priced very well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip Williams View Post
I actually find that a Monopod makes a great stabilizer and also works well with both sizes of camcorder you have.
I've tried using the two different monopods that I have. It's fine for the HV20 but I wasn't comfortable using it with the A1. Perhaps I should use a different head?
Old April 17th, 2008, 01:42 PM   #4
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Manacsa View Post
I've tried using the two different monopods that I have. It's fine for the HV20 but I wasn't comfortable using it with the A1. Perhaps I should use a different head?
I just use an average - though still fairly sturdy - Bogen/Manfrotto monopod. I do check it once in a while to make sure its securely fastened, but other than that I don't worry about it.
Old April 17th, 2008, 01:46 PM   #5
Inner Circle

I have a Spiderbrace and here's the deal. It's cheap, very cheap, which is a big benefit. The construction is solid enough given the price, and for the most part it works really well.

It won't improve your "walking fly-by" shots at all, however. If anything, it will make those worse because you're resting part of the weight of the camera on your shoulder, which will definitely bounce up and down as you walk. I also sometimes get annoyed at the fact that my LCD on my GL2 is too close to my face when shooting from the shoulder, but that is a minor issue.

For getting "better-than-handheld" stable, static shots, the Spiderbrace works very well. It also works well for any camera movements that involve rotating or turning or tilting your upper body. It just won't improve any shots where your feet are moving really.
Old April 17th, 2008, 07:23 PM   #6
New Boot

I second Travis' observation. The Spiderbrace (which I own) is great for everything that has your feet stationary. Once you start walking however, things begin to get bumpy.

But for the price, I would absolutely recommend it to anyone.
Old April 17th, 2008, 07:27 PM   #7
Contributor

Any shoulder mount will make walking shots worse. You need some type of steadycam device.
Bill Pryor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2008, 09:51 PM   #8
Regular Crew

Any other recommendations besides the Spiderbrace then?

Also, what can you recommend for a UHF wireless mic for the A1?

Thanks for the responses.
Old April 18th, 2008, 12:15 AM   #9
Major Player

I use the Sony UWP-C1 wireless mic package.

I'm very happy with it.
Bill Watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2008, 06:57 AM   #10
Contributor

Varizoom has decent stabilizers for the money. You can get their Flowpod with arm and vest for around $2K.
Bill Pryor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2008, 08:55 AM   #11
Major Player

I have a Samson Airline UHF wireless system that I purchased with my A1 from Zotz. We've had no problems with it so far and I do shoot some product installations for my employer.

We did this one a few weeks ago.

A1, PANALOOK preset, Samson Airline wireless system.

http://www.stylintrucks.com/parts.as..._prod_ids=1606

P.S. And you'll see for the two handheld shots that I obviously have no stabilizer and need to work on my technique. :)

Last edited by Will Mahoney; April 18th, 2008 at 08:56 AM. Reason: Added some info about my shoddy handheld work.
Will Mahoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2008, 09:39 AM   #12
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Manacsa View Post
Any other recommendations besides the Spiderbrace then?

Also, what can you recommend for a UHF wireless mic for the A1?

Thanks for the responses.
Take a look at the DVMulti Rig by DVTEC. http://dvtec.tv/id33.html

Also, here's a review...
http://www.eventdv.net/Articles/Read...rticleID=41399

It's quite a bit more expensive than the Spiderbrace, but it's soooo much more versatile.

Yuo can configure it to shoot in shoulder mode, FigRig or Handheld, low mode, or mount the entire rig on your tripod for lock down shooting.

And best yet the 2 section support pod will smooth out a lot of those shakes that you may have been experiencing, as well as take care of any fatigue that you may experience for long shoots.

I shoot weddings (10-13 hours) with it with a loaded up Sony FX1 with camera light, shotgun mic and wireless all mounted on the camera, and LANC remote on the left handgrip. I shoot in all configurations throughout the day and change from one mode to the other in a matter of seconds.

Also for wireless, we use, while not the best it has worked great for me over the years a Samson Micro32 wireless setup with transmitter/receiver and wireless handheld with built in transmitter. The build quality isn't the best on the units, but it has worked flawlessly for me over 5 years that I have owned them. The Sennheiser series wireless is probably the best affordable option out there, and highly recommended. I do agree with yuo about using a shotgun mic on a camera, as you won't get good audio, as your sound source keeps changing. So it's best to get your audio off of the camera when ever possible, either via wireless or digital audio recorders.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders