Wide-Angle Lens Usage Questions at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old May 1st, 2008, 06:04 PM   #1
New Boot

Wide-Angle Lens Usage Questions

I read in an earlier post that someone liked to keep their wide-angle lens on all the time which made me curious.

Is there any compelling reason why you wouldn't want your wide-angle lens on the camera all the time?

What impact would that have on focusing, exposure, shot composition, shutter speed?
Old May 1st, 2008, 06:45 PM   #2
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alain St-Amour View Post
Is there any compelling reason why you wouldn't want your wide-angle lens on the camera all the time?

Alain,

Sorry for the edit of your post. It's a bit difficult on this forum to focus in any other way on the point to be addressed.

Re: wide-angle lens.

Most of what I need to do focuses(pardon the pun) on the close-up.

Therefore I have yet to use my wide angle lens.

Know of anyone who wants to buy one?? :)

Take care.

Rog Lee
Roger Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2008, 07:10 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Quote:
I read in an earlier post that someone liked to keep their wide-angle lens on all the time which made me curious.

What impact would that have on focusing, exposure, shot composition, shutter speed?
Wide lenses should only used... for wide scenes. Then you should put it away. Wide lenses tend to have chromatic aberrations, they blur the image, and the more you zoom in the worse it get.
Giovanni Speranza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2008, 10:33 PM   #4
Major Player

I have the Canon wide and enjoy using it when shooting wide. I have found it great, especially in shooting....cycling. However, it is heavy and while it will not affect focusing and exposure functions perceptively, it will slightly soften, or degrade the image quality, vs using the lens unemcumbered. It will also introduce mild barrell distortion, which cannot be escaped when using wide adapters.
One advantage to shooting with the A1 is getting to use that sweet L series lens. Don't handicap it by using wide adapters more than you have to.
Steve Wolla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2008, 11:58 PM   #5
Trustee

Quote:

What impact would that have on focusing...
The IAF can't be used (the lens blocks the sensor). The Autofocus function still works.

Even if you focus manually and just sometimes use the AF button this could be enough reason as there's quite a difference in how well it works.
Colin McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2008, 07:33 AM   #6
New Boot

I will be much more selective in my usage of the wide-angle converter.

Like Giovanni said - I'll use the wide-angle converter when I need a big wide-shot, otherwise it's staying in the camera case.

I'm interested in capturing accurate, natural, and undistorted footage and this feedback has been very helpful. Thank you everyone.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders