Field Mixer to A1 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old May 3rd, 2008, 01:49 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Field Mixer to A1

I just purchased a field mixer to make things easier for someone else to mix sound while i shoot. Although it has not arrived yet, i wanted to know before i receive the mixer, is there a way to bypass the camera's audio levels, and have the mixer do all the work?
If not, then how do i make sure that the camera is picking up what sound guy is hearing from the mixer without losing those sound levels from the camera's audio levels itself? Thank You!

- Kevin
Kevin Ta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2008, 10:59 AM   #2
Contributor

That's what the tone from the mixer is for. Go line level in, turn on the mixer's tone, set the master switch to zero, and adjust camera level until you get a -20 db. You'll have to crank the camera pots pretty far up. Mine go about 2/3 to 3/4 of the way wide open. Then the soundman will want to set his mic levels so he's averaging out around zero. This should put your camera levels around a -12, which is where you want to be. Some people say never to peak over a -10, others go up to -6. I like to average out around a -12 to a -10.

Once you've calibrated the mixer to the camera, you shouldn't have to worry about it. The soundman does the rest. But make sure he's not one of those recording studio guys who wants everything at too low a level. You need him to be around zero on his incoming mic levels, maybe a little higher on occasion.
Bill Pryor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2008, 01:06 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Thank You kindly Bill :D
Old May 4th, 2008, 07:00 PM   #4
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Ta View Post
I just purchased a field mixer to make things easier for someone else to mix sound while i shoot. Although it has not arrived yet, i wanted to know before i receive the mixer, is there a way to bypass the camera's audio levels, and have the mixer do all the work?
If not, then how do i make sure that the camera is picking up what sound guy is hearing from the mixer without losing those sound levels from the camera's audio levels itself? Thank You!

- Kevin
Which mixer did you get? I have been shopping around looking for a good one...
Old May 5th, 2008, 12:47 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Doug,

I got the Azden Mx20, it's a simple and affordable mixer, something that works if your definitley on a budget.
Old May 5th, 2008, 02:50 AM   #6
Regular Crew

one question bill:
if the tone is set to -20 i don't see why when mic levels are averaging out at 0 (mixer) they "should put your camera levels around a -12". they should be around -20, shouldn't they? when you hit 8 at mixer's you should get -12..
correct me if i'm wrong..

pietro
Pietro Jona is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders