New A1 Newbie what are the must haves? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old May 4th, 2008, 05:27 AM   #1
Regular Crew

New A1 Newbie what are the must haves?

Hi all. I have been reading so many of your posts and first I would like to thank all of you, I'm way ahead of the game for some one with my experience new to this camera who isn't on this forum. So a big THANKS...

Just bought an A1 and need some help.

Current Gear:
-XH-A1 (woo who)
-Tripod - SLIK504QFII - Works pretty good with this cam vs my HC3 so I'll use it for now and upgrade later.
- Hard case - Pelican 1510.

Cam Uses:
- Film a buddies wedding in Hawaii and my Cancun wedding.
- Movies and music videos in/out doors.

So if you had a 1000 bucks and wanted to do the above what are the first things you would buy? Specific models would be a great help. Looking for the must haves on a budget. I was thinking another battery, and glidecam 4000, and a couple lapel mics. But, I'm new and have no clue.

Sorry if this is a redundant post. I figure technology changes all the time and there might be new goodies to choose from.
Tom Sherwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2008, 10:14 AM   #2
Contributor

If you're doing a wedding, you need a wireless mic first. The Sennheiser G2 system is about 500 bucks and the best thing for the money, though you can probably find an AT maybe around $100 cheaper. I'd get a second battery, about $140, and a protective filter for the lens, about $50-$75.

The Glidecam 4000 is about $500, and the vest and arm would be about anothere $1500, and you still need the monitor and battery, etc., so that's probably out in your price range.
Bill Pryor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2008, 10:24 AM   #3
Trustee

As a general rule of thumb, budget at least the same amount you spent on your camera for accessories, tripod, lights, batteries, filters, cases, etc. Better yet, go for around 200 % of the camera investment. $ 1K will not bring you very much. Take it in steps. The Sennheiser will be a worthwhile investment, as well as additional batteries, then upgrade your tripod. Add a couple of filters (UV, skylight, pola, etc.) and a good wide-angle lens.
Harm Millaard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2008, 07:56 PM   #4
Regular Crew

BILL: I agree about getting a wireless mic, battery and protective lens thanks for the info.

Harm: This is only my initial budget not total. I was looking for ways to spend the first grand... I realize that this is not a realistic budget overall just a starting point until my bank account gets replenished.

I did some shooting today. Think I should invest in a class that teaches basic shooting techniques as I have non.
Tom Sherwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2008, 02:07 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Sherwood View Post

I did some shooting today. Think I should invest in a class that teaches basic shooting techniques as I have non.
Practice. Then read the manuals. Then practice. Then practice some more. Then read the manual again. Then practice some more.

If you're gonna shot a wedding (even 'just' a friend's wedding) make sure you can get the shot you want (exposure, framing, balance etc) every time. It means you have to know exactly how to use your kit.

Shoot anything just to practice. It'll be worth it on the day
Nick Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2008, 02:36 AM   #6
Major Player

Hey Tom,

I'd agree that the Sennheiser wireless mic and some batteries for your camera would be a good start.

I wouldn't worry too much about glidecams until you've got the hang of shooting with the A1 (or any camera) by itself. If you don't have the fundamentals down, a glidecam or steadicam will only make things worse, not better.

Read the manual and this forum religiously - and spend lots of time shooting for practice!

On top of that, if you're planning to do weddings I'd suggest checking out the Wedding/Events forum here at dvinfo.net. There's some awesome information available there regarding weddings.

Here's the link:

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/forumdisplay.php?f=72

Cheers,

Matthew.
Matthew Ebenezer is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders