A1 lens limitations - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old May 6th, 2008, 06:26 AM   #16
Trustee

Thanks Don,
Just had a look now. It looks like the only one they have that has a 72mm thread is the single element 500. It certainly is cheaper than both the Raynox & the Schneider. Hmmm, more to think about!

Thanks,

Bryce
Old May 9th, 2008, 09:08 AM   #17
Major Player

Hey Bryce,
I finished a project last year called Garden insects that is on PBS nationally since July. From the title you can guess that it is almost entirely close up footage. I'm using an A1 now, but this was shot with an XL1s. I actually used a cheep set of Hoya diopters - 1, 2 & 4. They worked pretty good on the standard lens, but with the 35mm adapter & a 300mm lens, there was a lot of edge distortion. Of corse it stuck out like a sore thumb to me, but most people thought the shots were awesome. With the A1 these filters work great also in many situations, but in some shots of say, white flowers against a darker background, the edges blow out & are a bright blue (totally unacceptable) I'd definitely get the higher quality lenses. I find the +2, to be the one I reach for most.

chris
Old May 9th, 2008, 05:48 PM   #18
Trustee

Thanks very much Chris,
I was thinking of the +3.5 from Schneider. It is very expensive, but i figure with their reputation, they wouldn't sell a bad piece of glass. I'm still not too sure how it all works with the +1, +2, +3 thing. Would i be correct in assuming that i would be able to get a better result at 1-2m from my object with the 3.5 than the 2, or is it the other way around?

Thanks in advance,

Bryce
Old May 10th, 2008, 04:33 AM   #19
Wrangler

Quote:
...a 72mm thread is the single element 500...
B&H Says:
"...Close-up lenses 250D and 500D have two achromatic elements to correct chromatic aberrations. They do not degrade the high optical performance of EF lenses. Close-up lens 500 has only one element, making it more affordable."

The link was to the 2-element 500D in 72mm, not to a 500 (with no letter D).
Old May 10th, 2008, 05:13 AM   #20
Trustee

Thanks Don,
I should have read it more thoroughly. That now makes this option much more appealing. It looks like it is a +2 which should be about right for what i want, & e heck of a lot cheaper! Sold!

Thanks,

Bryce
Old May 10th, 2008, 09:23 AM   #21
Major Player

Hey Bryce,
This is approximately how my close up filters work with a telephoto lens that has a minimum focus of 6ft. The +1 lets you get focus at about 3-4ft, the +2,
lets you get in about 2ft, and the +4 lets you get about a 1ft.
Old May 10th, 2008, 11:54 AM   #22
Wrangler

Note that the 500D is sold mainly as a still camera film product, not many folks speak about using it with video. If you google canon 500D you will find a lot of comments by users doing stills (including insect life) with it.
Old May 10th, 2008, 12:41 PM   #23
Regular Crew

With low-power closeup lenses, like +1/2, +1 or even +2, the results from a single element are quite acceptable to many people. Because they are inexpensive, you may want to try them out before springing for the 2-element version. In regards to which power to use, my experience is to stick to the lowest you can get away with for best quality. I have never tried the Schneiders.

Peter
www.parkfilms.com
Peter Rhalter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2008, 01:35 PM   #24
Major Player

I completely agree with Peter. "Garden Insects" was shot almost entirely with a cheep ($70 + -) set of 3 Hoya filters, it was/is broadcast nationally, and the comment I've gotten most is awesome photography. I still use the +1 & +2 with the A1 and am very satisfied with them. The +4 doesn't fair so well. but I rarely have a need to get that close and if it is something that is moving, getting that close almost always scares it away. The +4 is really the only one that performs unaccepably. If I were to do another project like this, I would spring for some higher quality, but for the occasional close up, these do work fine for me.
Peace,
Chris
Old May 10th, 2008, 04:18 PM   #25
Trustee

Thanks to everyone for all your help with this. I have ordered the Canon 500D which i believe is +2. I think that should be about perfect for the distances i will be shooting, & was at a much more reasonable price than the Schneider. I will let you know how it goes with this lens when i get to try it out. I figure it will work very well on the end of the A1, but one thing i will try, & i have no idea if will work at all yet, is to put it on the end of the A1 then attach my tele conversion lens to it. Will be interesting to see if it will work. It sure would be nice to be able to focus on subjects that i am shooting at a distance that all of a sudden come much closer to where presently i am unable to film because they are too close.

Thanks again for all your help.

Bryce
Old May 17th, 2008, 05:32 AM   #26
Trustee

Hi all,
Just a quick note to let you know that i ended up buying the Canon 500D. I have just received it & had a bit of a play around with it. So far it looks very nice. Will play around a bit more tomorrow, & i'm sure i will love it when i have a bit more light to work with. I'll try to post some pics soon incase anyone else in interested in the difference it makes.

Thanks again to everyone for all the help,

Bryce

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders