60i vs 30f & 24f at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old May 5th, 2008, 11:26 PM   #1
Regular Crew

60i vs 30f & 24f

Hi There,

Somewhere i heard that if you shoot 60i mode, it is equivilant to 60frames, and you could pull that down to 30f or 24f with in your editing program or a special third party program. Is this true?

I ask this because i intend to shoot a lot of stuff in 60i, but there will be times that i would like the more "film" like look from 30f & 24f for certain things.

Also what editing programs do you all use which are able to capture 30f & 24f?I'm using avid xpress pro at the moment, and i know that it does not support those modes from the canon xha1, neither can i capture anything from the a1. It's my new camera, and i've been playing around with a fx1 that i borrowed for the past couple months. So the a1 is very new to me. Thank you all in advance.
Kevin Ta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2008, 12:43 AM   #2
Major Player

I can't answer all your questions, but 60i is 60 "interlaced fields" not 60 frames... still it's 30 fps no matter how you look at it.

Avid on the other hand needs to s**t or get off the pot regarding Canon's frame modes :-\

Maybe the next version of Media Composer software (which references Xpress Pro's EOL) will have this ability.
Bill Busby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2008, 10:35 AM   #3
New Boot

i am in a similar situation as kevin, as i need the smoothest slow motion but love 24/30f. since 30f and 60i are both are 30fps, why is 30f slow motion so chunky?
Old May 6th, 2008, 10:40 AM   #4
Trustee

Even though 60i is only 60 fields a second, it is still getting new information every 1/60 of a second. Thus, when doing slow motion, there is more "in between" information for constructing new frames to make smooth slow motion.

30f and 24f have new information only every 1/30 or 1/24 sec.
Jack Walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2008, 11:50 AM   #5
Contributor

If you're using Avid, you'll have to avoid Canon's 24f because Avid doesn't support it. You can use something like Magic Bullet or DVFilmmaker to get a 24 frame look if you want.
Bill Pryor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2008, 11:49 PM   #6
Regular Crew

is magic bullet an editing program, or is it some kind of software that can capture, and then put into a avid's timeline?

Im much more interested in 30f right now because i use a lot of camera movement, which i hear the 24f is quite choppy.
Kevin Ta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2008, 04:00 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Some of the HD Wedding Video guys are using Twixtor for Slomotion:
http://www.revisionfx.com/products/twixtor/

Several hundred $$ but look at some of the footage they have posted in the Events section on DVI of 24F Canon slowed way down, it is amazing.
Old May 9th, 2008, 04:26 PM   #8
Contributor

Kevin, you should probably do some tests before you buy anything, but in addition to Magic Bullet, there's DVFilmmaker as well as Nattress effects. Both have the pulldown 60i to 24p software, and they're cheaper than Magic Bullet.
Bill Pryor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2008, 12:52 PM   #9
Regular Crew

I will definitley look into it, if i do make a purchase, it won't be for another 2 months or so. That twixtor program looks really cool btw.
Kevin Ta is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders