Smallest bag for XH A1 - without having to take off the accessories. - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old May 15th, 2008, 01:25 AM   #16
Regular Crew

For my new Canon XH-A1 I purchased a Petrol PDRB-3 and the camcorder and standard accessories all fit well. Now I have added a pair of folding headphones, spare battery, filters, car charger, spare tapes, head cleaner, Rode NGT2 Mike, XLR cable, dead cat & SM5 shock mount things are beginning to get a little tight.

I am beginning to think along the lines of perhaps two bags would be better, one for general transport of all the kit and a second lightweight & waterproof one to use when shooting that accepts the XH-A1 "fully dressed" along with a few selected accessories.

Nice forum

Paul W. H
Paul W. Hazeltine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2008, 12:24 PM   #17
New Boot

Cool Bag

I bought a 10 dollar cool bag and took my xh a1 around the world.
(well - Venice, New Zealand, Australia and Singapore)
It's padded, waterproof and cool!
It has a woven fabric finish.
It does not say expensive camera in bag,
and I added a folded garden kneeler (polyurethane foam)
for extra padding. Room for a few accessories too!
Glyn Wainwright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2008, 10:02 PM   #18
Regular Crew

I found a great bag for less than $50. Look into an Uncle Mike's Pistol Range bag. The A1 fits great, and it has plenty of pockets for tapes and accessories, and it's durable.

I found mine in a sporting goods store, but they're available online as well:

http://www.copsplus.com/prodnum2377.php
Jason Sovey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2008, 03:18 AM   #19
New Boot

Check this out :

http://www.spc-international.it/stor...roducts_id=413
Antonio Guarnieri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2008, 08:10 AM   #20
Major Player

Antonio, that's for full size cameras. An A1 would be lost in there :)
Bill Busby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2008, 11:24 AM   #21
Tourist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viimar Lindau View Post
Rudy,
Could you please post photos of your bag and camera here. By comparing the sizes of camera and interior size of this bag I come to the result that there is not enough room for the camera. I'd really like to know how you did it. I'm looking for a bag for my A1 and backpack style is my favorite as I'm doing also hiking.
Hello Viimar,

here are some photo's to proove that he really fits in the bag. Also the camera sits on his back (battery compartment) and not on the lens or viewfinder.

greetings,

Rudy
Attached Thumbnails
Smallest bag for XH A1 - without having to take off the accessories.-camera-bag-1.jpg   Smallest bag for XH A1 - without having to take off the accessories.-camera-bag-2.jpg  

Rudy De Smedt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2008, 11:29 AM   #22
Sponsor: TapeWorks Texas

Tapeworks sales Porta Brace, Petrol, Kata and CamRade for case solutions. I have been impressed with the quality of the CamRade line and the price is right. CamRade bags are made out of 1000 Stitch Cordura (same as Porta Brace) and everything is double stitched.

Here are two options for a case solution for the XHA1:

The CamRade CB-Single I CamBag. The sides have PVC with double padding. There are two dividers inside that can be moved around. There is a strap to hold your camcorder in place. The bag also comes with a white balance card.
You can view the case at http://tapeworkstexas.com/camrade_cb_single_i_2.html
The CB-Single I sales for only $189.00

The CamRade TM-Handy I BackPack solution is great! The dividers inside can be moved around to fit your camcorder and accessories. There are plenty of pockets on the outside and there is a place to slide your laptop into on the inside. You can view the case at http://tapeworkstexas.com/camrade_tmhandyi.html
Tapeworks website shows sale price $299.00
If you contact Tapeworks Toll Free 866.827-3489 and mention you saw my post on DVinfo, Tapeworks will provide this case for only $250.00

Best Regards,
Scott Cantrell
tapeworksscott@sbcglobal.net
Scott Cantrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2008, 11:50 AM   #23
New Boot

I think Glyn's idea is great from a condensation standpoint and the price is right. I don't have a case yet but thisb is what I'll be looking for now. Thanks Glyn.
Brenda Drennan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2008, 01:48 PM   #24
New Boot

The first post mentions the large 16x9 version, but here's the one for the XH-A1: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...rab_Shoot.html
David Del Real is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2008, 04:40 PM   #25
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Cantrell View Post
Tapeworks sales Porta Brace, Petrol, Kata and CamRade for case solutions. I have been impressed with the quality of the CamRade line and the price is right. CamRade bags are made out of 1000 Stitch Cordura (same as Porta Brace) and everything is double stitched.

Here are two options for a case solution for the XHA1:

The CamRade CB-Single I CamBag. The sides have PVC with double padding. There are two dividers inside that can be moved around. There is a strap to hold your camcorder in place. The bag also comes with a white balance card.
You can view the case at http://tapeworkstexas.com/camrade_cb_single_i_2.html
The CB-Single I sales for only $189.00

The CamRade TM-Handy I BackPack solution is great! The dividers inside can be moved around to fit your camcorder and accessories. There are plenty of pockets on the outside and there is a place to slide your laptop into on the inside. You can view the case at http://tapeworkstexas.com/camrade_tmhandyi.html
Tapeworks website shows sale price $299.00
If you contact Tapeworks Toll Free 866.827-3489 and mention you saw my post on DVinfo, Tapeworks will provide this case for only $250.00

Best Regards,
Scott Cantrell
What are the interior and external dimensions of the CamRade CB-Single I CamBag?
Stephen Sobel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2008, 04:58 PM   #26
Major Player

It would be nice also if Tapeworks had interior photos of products such at this as well.
Bill Busby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2008, 10:35 AM   #27
Sponsor: TapeWorks Texas

Sorry guy's, missed the reponses/questions on this thread.

CB-Single I Exterior Dimensions: 22 1/2" L x 8 1/2" W x 10" D
CB-Single I Interior Dimensions: 20 1/2" L x 6 1/2" W x 9" D

Notice the difference of Dimensions!
This is due to the PVC lining with Double Padding for Protecion.

I forgot to mention that the new CB-Single I's have the entire exterior base of the case is protected with rubber for durability and traction!

Please contact Tapeworks Texas Inc for addiotional information toll free 866-827-3489

Best Regards,
Scott Cantrell
Tapeworks Texas Inc - HDVinfo Sponser
Scott Cantrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12th, 2008, 12:51 PM   #28
Tourist

I'm looking for a small shoulder bag for my A1, does anyonehave any recommendations? I ideally want the smallest possible one to hold the A1 itself with the lens hood on and just about nothing else - maybe a tape or two and a spare battery.

I've got a nice portabrace case - this one -

PortaBrace - Product Detail:CS-DV3R

which is great but I'm going on an extended holiday soon and want something smaller to walk about with. The portabrace is a bit big and heavy if you're trying to live out of a rucksack.
Brian Hutchison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12th, 2008, 02:21 PM   #29
New Boot

I have the Kata HB-205 and love it. I used it for 5 weeks traveling through Southern Italy and took almost every possible type of transportation including on the back of several Vespas in Catania, Sicily as I hung on for dear life. The bag is like a tank and is inconspicuous - looks just like a regular backpack. It carried my Xh-A1, extra battery, charger and cables, AT Shotgun mic. and rhycote softee, two AT 4051a condenser mics and two low profile shock mounts with T shaped on camera mic mount., tripod head, Bose headphones, over 20 hours of tape plus some other small accessories. I never had to worry about my camera getting damaged. Plus the Backpack has a waist belt which does make a big difference if you are walking around a lot.

If you need to carry a laptop look at the 207 model, otherwise 205 is more compact.

I kept the shotgun mount ON the camera when I had it in the bag even though it sticks above the rest of the camera a bit. It wasnt a problem. I only removed the shotgun mount when I was doing international airplane travel when the bag would be getting shoved into overhead compartments and didnt want to worry about breaking it. This kind of sucks because I lost one of the little screws.... Does anyone know where you can get a new screw?
David Marker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12th, 2008, 07:41 PM   #30
Tourist

I don't want a rucksack style bag as I'll be backpacking most of my clothes and stuff... maybe I'll bite the bullet and take the portabrace and a messenger bag for day trips and stuff.
Brian Hutchison is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders