So... Slow Motion, 60i and 24f? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old May 18th, 2008, 08:03 PM   #1
Regular Crew

So... Slow Motion, 60i and 24f?

Hey all, I was researching some slow motion techniques in the forum and came across a solution posted by Steven Dempsey, where you shoot 60i at 1/120 and deinterlace to get 60p. This is where my question begins.
Are there any issues importing said "60p" clip into a 24 fps timeline? I was concerned about the program (FCP) automatically removing frames to make it fit the 24 timeline and perhaps result in a not so smooth result? Because when I put the file on the timeline it needed to be rendered, which is exactly what happens when you put non-24p(24f) footy onto a 24 fps timeline.... so, yeah, that has me worried. I don't want jittery slow motion!
Also, I saw some of you had some very nice slow motion tests and wondered if you had any other tips for shooting slow mo besides the frame rate and shutter speeds?

Thanks in advance guys and apologies if this was already answered elsewhere, I searched the forum a few times but there's so much good info hidden in so many threads!
Bryan Wilkat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2008, 08:57 PM   #2
New Boot

Here is the workflow I use:

1. Import 60i with Final Cut
2. Deinterlace using JES Deinterlacer - make sure that "Double movie duration" is checked in the Projects pane
3. Open the new deinterlaced file in Cinema tools
4. Conform to 23.98

This method has produce smooth playback as long as the clips frame rate matches the time line's.

Hope that helps.
Marlowe Northcott is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders