Telephoto for A1? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old May 20th, 2008, 08:42 AM   #1
Major Player

Telephoto for A1?

Trying to decided on which to get. 16.9 (1.5x), Century (1.6x) or the Raynox (1.8x). I'm leaning towards the Raynox, but am worried about the weight on the front of the lens and don't want to use rails for support. Any input would be much appreciated.
Old May 20th, 2008, 11:27 AM   #2
New Boot

i am very pleased with my century optics. relatively light, more than enough zoom power, & no need for rails. $300 new on ebay.
Old May 20th, 2008, 01:23 PM   #3
Major Player

Thanks morgan, Could you give me the name of the dealer you got it from?
Old May 21st, 2008, 01:57 PM   #4
Sponsor: TapeWorks Texas

If you are speaking of the Century Optics 0HD-16TC-XLH 1.6X Teleconvertor, than I would be wary of the "$300 new on Ebay"
As a dealer, I can tell you that is WAYYYY under even dealer costs.
FYI, Sale price from Tapeworks on that item is $819.00

Best Regards,
Scott Cantrell
Tapeworks Texas Inc - HDVinfo Sponser
866-827-3489
tapeworksscott@sbcglobal.net
Scott Cantrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2008, 02:09 PM   #5
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Cantrell View Post
If you are speaking of the Century Optics 0HD-16TC-XLH 1.6X Teleconvertor, than I would be wary of the "$300 new on Ebay"
As a dealer, I can tell you that is WAYYYY under even dealer costs.
FYI, Sale price from Tapeworks on that item is $819.00

Best Regards,
Scott Cantrell
866-827-3489
Hey Scott, do you rent those lenses, I'm in need of one for a ceremony, but I can't think of a reason to buy one just to keep in the bag? I need one for either my Sony V1u or Sony Z1u.
Old May 21st, 2008, 10:25 PM   #6
Major Player

Raynox disappoints

The clarity of your picture will suffer with a Raynox.
Greg Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2008, 11:43 PM   #7
New Boot

hi,
i created a "saved search" and after about a week i received an email of a posted C.O. teleconverter. the reserve was $300, and as someone experienced with both C.O. and eBay, i was satisfied that it was legitimate. i placed my bid and won uncontested. before the search expired (about a month after my purchase), i received several other emails of newly posted C.O. teleconverters, some for the MSRP, some starting at $300-500, and others starting at $.99. ebay can herald incredible deals, but must be used with caution.
morgan
Old May 22nd, 2008, 01:56 AM   #8
Trustee

Hi Chris,
I would definately be looking at the Century if you don't want to go with rails. Although the Raynox is not that heavy, it is very long, & what weight it has, is more out the front end. The Century is much shorter, & although i'm not sure of the weight, would imagine it would put less strain on the thread of the camera lens even if it were a little heavier. I have the Raynox HDP9000EX & love it. I have not seen any loss of light, or detail in the pictures what so ever & i use it on a regular basis. I can't say first hand what the quality of the Century is, but have heard nothing but positive feedback on all of the Century lens' which cannot necessarily be said for all the Raynox lens'.

Bryce
Old May 22nd, 2008, 04:57 AM   #9
Inner Circle

Thanks, now I'm trying to find somewhere that will rent me one.
Old May 22nd, 2008, 09:26 AM   #10
Sponsor: Schneider Optics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryce Comer View Post
Hi Chris,
I would definately be looking at the Century if you don't want to go with rails. Although the Raynox is not that heavy, it is very long, & what weight it has, is more out the front end. The Century is much shorter, & although i'm not sure of the weight, would imagine it would put less strain on the thread of the camera lens even if it were a little heavier. I have the Raynox HDP9000EX & love it. I have not seen any loss of light, or detail in the pictures what so ever & i use it on a regular basis. I can't say first hand what the quality of the Century is, but have heard nothing but positive feedback on all of the Century lens' which cannot necessarily be said for all the Raynox lens'.

Bryce
The Century 1.6x tele-converter for the XH-A1 features our exclusive bayonet mounting system that locks onto the bayonet where the factory shade normally goes. This means no weight is put on the front threads, a huge plus when attaching pieces over 1lb.

PS - You can also buy a shade for this attachment (and almost all of our other attachments). I highly recommend a shade because it increases contrast by decreasing unwanted light pollution in the elements from reflections, etc.

http://www.schneideroptics.com/ecomm...=1391&IID=6252

Ryan Avery
Schneider Optics

Ryan Avery
Schneider Optics
Ryan Avery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2008, 10:25 AM   #11
Major Player

Thanks All,
The length of the raynox (& thread mount as opposed to a bayonet) was the main issue with the Raynox as it's only 3 oz more.

Ryan, What's up with the different telephotos, seems like they all list the ones for the Sony's & earlier Canons, but not the later models. I take it that the HD lens are for specific cameras, so I have to as for the OHD-16TC-XLH?

I've never bought photo gear from ebay (all come from the sponsors here), that price had me interested, but would not buy a used lens without seeing it.
Old May 22nd, 2008, 02:24 PM   #12
Sponsor: TapeWorks Texas

Steven Davis, Sorry, but Tapeworks is not a rental house. Well, we do have 1 JVC GYHD110U that we rent on occassion. But that is it. Tapeworks only sales new A-Stock (and B-Stock if the mfg has them available) products.

Here is information on the Century Optics Telephoto lenses you are interested in:

Century Optics 0HD-16TC-SH6 1.6X Teleconverter for Sony HVRV1U camcorder
Tapeworks Price: $799.00

Century Optics 0VS-16TC-HDS Teleconverter for Sony HVRZ1U camcorder
Tapeworks Price: $799.00

Please contact me if you have any questions or if I can assist further.

Best Regards,
Scott Cantrell
866-827-3489
Scott Cantrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2008, 03:45 PM   #13
Sponsor: Schneider Optics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Korrow View Post
Thanks All,
The length of the raynox (& thread mount as opposed to a bayonet) was the main issue with the Raynox as it's only 3 oz more.

Ryan, What's up with the different telephotos, seems like they all list the ones for the Sony's & earlier Canons, but not the later models. I take it that the HD lens are for specific cameras, so I have to as for the OHD-16TC-XLH?

I've never bought photo gear from ebay (all come from the sponsors here), that price had me interested, but would not buy a used lens without seeing it.
All of our telephoto offerings for the current HD cameras are HD Quality. This is evidenced by not only our claims but by the favorable reviews that everyone gives our products.

If you have a Canon XH-A1, then you need the following lens:

http://www.schneideroptics.com/ecomm...=1385&IID=6223

I strongly recommend the accessory shade and if you shoot outside a lot then the 102mm clear filter would be a good idea.

Ryan Avery
Schneider Optics
Ryan Avery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2008, 04:18 PM   #14
Major Player

Scott, tried calling today but guess your out till Tuesday. Will call then.

Ryan, I'll test it anyway, but can I use the .6x lens that I got for my XL1s several years ago (5 + - years?) with the A1, or will it not perform very well with HD?

Thanks for all your help!
Old June 3rd, 2008, 01:03 AM   #15
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryce Comer View Post
Hi Chris,
Although the Raynox is not that heavy, it is very long, & what weight it has, is more out the front end.
you ain't kiddin - holy crapolla, it's a monster.

I got mine today and when this rain stops I'll get out and try it. Where can I get some sort of UV filter to go on the front (for protection)? the size is 108mm!

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders