Sync edit problem HXA1 - HV20 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old May 23rd, 2008, 06:16 AM   #1
New Boot

Sync edit problem HXA1 - HV20

Has a anybody have experienced the following:
1 hour recording from HV20 mounted on tripod
and the same subject recorded on xha1 but many motion and handling while recording.
When loaded both tapes in editor ( catured hdv with hdvsplit ) it seems that after +/- 10 minutes both tracks grow out of sync.
I have done 2 cam recordings without sync problems but the difference was that both cams were steady mounted on tripod.
Does the motion of the cam effect the transport speed or recording of the tape?

Best regards
Rene Brunken
Rene Brunken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2008, 09:58 AM   #2
Contributor

Moving a camera around has nothing to do with it. Could it be you recorded with the HV20 in 24p and the XHA1 in 60i or 30F? Or the XHA1 in 24f and the other in 60i?
Bill Pryor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2008, 03:02 AM   #3
New Boot

I always work in 25i (PAL) and frame settings on both are the same.

Have you ever tried moving around a spinning bycicle wheel, there are gyroscopic forces in effect. This could be the same in the camera.
Rene Brunken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2008, 11:51 AM   #4
New Boot

Sync Edit Problem A1-HV20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rene Brunken View Post
Has a anybody have experienced the following:
1 hour recording from HV20 mounted on tripod
and the same subject recorded on xha1 but many motion and handling while recording.
When loaded both tapes in editor ( catured hdv with hdvsplit ) it seems that after +/- 10 minutes both tracks grow out of sync.
I have done 2 cam recordings without sync problems but the difference was that both cams were steady mounted on tripod.
Does the motion of the cam effect the transport speed or recording of the tape?

Best regards
Rene Brunken
Rene,

We just finished a wedding using a HV20 (as B roll) and A1, the 20 was mounted to a tripod and was never moved during the cermony, the A1 while also mounted to a tripod was moved to different locations, I'm doing the post work now in Premier CS3 and had to use some of the audio from the HV20 to replace the audio from the A1, I had no problem with the sync through the entire timeline once I got it lined up correctly, in fact I was amazed at how easy it was to sync the two different cameras together, most of the work we do is racing events and mixing two cameras together isn't much of a issue in that type of venue....never had a issue like your describing, the wedding we shot was 4 hours of tape and none of it had the sync problem your having.

Jon Spindler
Spin-City Productions
www.dragtopia.com
Jon Spindler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2008, 03:20 AM   #5
Major Player

Hi

Is it the picture or the sound that is out of sync?
How much difference is there, say after 10 minutes?

/Bo

Last edited by Bo Sundvall; May 28th, 2008 at 03:21 AM. Reason: Added 2:nd question
Bo Sundvall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2008, 01:45 AM   #6
Inner Circle

What software are you using? Are you happen to be using Premiere Pro CS3?
Old June 2nd, 2009, 11:11 AM   #7
Regular Crew

On a similar issue,
I taped the wedding on the hv-20 (24p) and xhA1(24f). Captured with FCP 6.0.5.
Now I have to multicam both cameras, but the hv20 (24p turns into 29...) does not match the XH. I converted the hv20 footage to ProRes 24p, and then somehow when i multiclip both, the xh (24f) footage has 29. frames!!???!! How? Why? How do I keep that from happening. That of course de-synch the multiclip (23. on the hv and 29. on the xh). If my hair was longer I 'd had pulled it all!
Any suggestions?
Erick Munari is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders